Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

Down 195lbs. Took a break from Keto for the day as it was our anniversary yesterday so I splurged and had dessert when we went for dinner. Fasted today and did my treadmill to push me back into ketosis. I was back in by 9pm tonight as per my Ketone Meter.

Feeling great and the weight-loss continues.

Thought I would post a copy of my blood work for historical purposes in this thread. Just went for another A1C blood test this morning to check to make sure blood sugar is still where it should be. I'm confident it is because my home monitoring unit continually shows that it's lower than 5.

Blood_Work.png

Last edited:
That's great. Do you allow yourself to indulge from time to time? On Easter, I let myself enjoy a hot dog and some potato salad, then felt terrible afterwards. Bloated kind of terrible.

Congrats brother! that is awesome

How the heck are you measuring your A1C at home?

When you say fasting, how long are you fasting, could you give us an overview pls.

I have been emotionally drained last few weeks, I need to get back on track on my cardio.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
That's great. Do you allow yourself to indulge from time to time? On Easter, I let myself enjoy a hot dog and some potato salad, then felt terrible afterwards. Bloated kind of terrible.

I went off it at Christmas for a week and I went off it last week for our anniversary for one day. Then fast for 1 or a couple of days to force back into Ketosis and back on it.

Originally Posted by stockrex
Congrats brother! that is awesome

How the heck are you measuring your A1C at home?

When you say fasting, how long are you fasting, could you give us an overview pls.

I have been emotionally drained last few weeks, I need to get back on track on my cardio.

I measure using a glucose monitor at home. Those above are from the lab, I can get my results online within 24 hours of the test. From what I understand there is an A1C test-kit for home testing available at Pharmacies in the US available for like $30. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SIbeZBTBEY

I typically do OMAD = One Meal a day so I eat dinner within a 2 hour window and fast the other 22 hours a day. Sometimes I'll throw in an extended fast of a week and eat on the weekend. I just got finished doing a month long fast not that long ago. When you are "fat adapted" and severely low carb for an extended period your body switches over to body fat reserves quite easily in the absence of food and hunger is almost non-existent. It's hard to fathom on typical carb-rich diets because of how hungry you feel on them.

Last edited:
They just posted my results online from today's A1C test. Slight up-tick from 4.7 but still considered excellent and non-diabetic.

[Linked Image]

This is good for our American friends in the group but good information in general for all...
smile.gif

Last edited:
This guy has started Fasting December 11, 2018 and has only been consuming water with electrolyte supplementation since then until now.
(He has had regular check in with his doctor and blood work performed during his extended fast.)

He's now on DAY 128 of his fast and has lost a total of 195lbs in that time (1.3lbs / day average)

I have followed him since he has started, and while I have fasted for extended periods of time I would love to try this next to accelerate my weight loss to get rid of the rest of this weight. I felt great after my 30 day fast and felt I could go longer but was a bit anxious about it so I decided not to. (Personal head issue)

You can see all of his videos on his channel and he weighs in on camera with every video.

Last edited:
I recently got off this diet. My energy level sank to low levels and I suffered from brain fog. So now my carb intake is back to under 100 grams a day vs the 20-25 grams I was on. My energy is getting back to normal and my blood glucose is still stable. I'm awaiting my A1c results from the lab.

It just reinforces the idea that any diet is not for everyone. There will be exceptions.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I recently got off this diet. My energy level sank to low levels and I suffered from brain fog. So now my carb intake is back to under 100 grams a day vs the 20-25 grams I was on. My energy is getting back to normal and my blood glucose is still stable. I'm awaiting my A1c results from the lab.

It just reinforces the idea that any diet is not for everyone. There will be exceptions.

I encountered this at first and then started taking a B-100 complex once a week and the problem went away for me. I figured that it was the lack of foods containing B-Vitamins like breads, pasta, rice etc.

Pim, If you are on Diabetic meds, you need to watch the med dose and carb intake.

For me, I can't make any drastic changes in how I eat and what I eat, I slowly transitioned to very little carbs, I did feel weak a few days.

Steve, good point about vitamins, the idea is to have a small area under the total insulin curve, this can be achieved by eating very little at a time and eating proteins and fats with very litle carbs.
I am a rice addict, and I still eat like 1 teaspoon of rice, I eat it slowly with some fish, savor every bite.

I have to condition myself for the fast, I am no where near that right now.

Pim, If you are on Diabetic meds, you need to watch the med dose and carb intake.

For me, I can't make any drastic changes in how I eat and what I eat, I slowly transitioned to very little carbs, I did feel weak a few days.

Steve, good point about vitamins, the idea is to have a small area under the total insulin curve, this can be achieved by eating very little at a time and eating proteins and fats with very litle carbs.
I am a rice addict, and I still eat like 1 teaspoon of rice, I eat it slowly with some fish, savor every bite.

I watch my sugars each morning by testing my fasting blood glucose. I also take my blood pressure each morning which is slightly above normal. I take medication for both.

I do agree with the idea of low carb intake. I have to choose the carbs I decide to take in. For example, a turkey and cheese sandwich on rye bread is better than on white bread. Keeping things simple works better for me. Also, combining carbs with protein rather than eating a carb heavy meal.

Of course exercise has to be included. I walk two miles each morning. Now that the weather is improving I can add more activity as I can.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I watch my sugars each morning by testing my fasting blood glucose. I also take my blood pressure each morning which is slightly above normal. I take medication for both.

I do agree with the idea of low carb intake. I have to choose the carbs I decide to take in. For example, a turkey and cheese sandwich on rye bread is better than on white bread. Keeping things simple works better for me. Also, combining carbs with protein rather than eating a carb heavy meal.

Of course exercise has to be included. I walk two miles each morning. Now that the weather is improving I can add more activity as I can.

This sounds more like what I do. For dinner tonight, my wife made meatballs, green beans, and roasted potatoes. About once a week, we'll have pasta using the Barilla brand high fiber bowtie and spaghetti pasta. My wife made her own sweet and sour sauce without using sugar that tastes pretty darn good. We'll make sweet and sour chicken with brown rice tossed with veggies.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I agree with you this diet is not for everyone. Nothing takes place of variety, balance, and sensible diet.

Dave for those with proper body weight if they can keep control with sensible diet fine. Some of us are wired differently and have to cut carbs to keep the weight away. Especially those of us that have Type-2 Diabetes where insulin / glucose doesn't work properly.

Have a watch of this: https://youtu.be/q8BGYhreaco

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to do Keto which is extremely low carb but carbs control is the answer it's just the amount of carbs allowed that would be different for each person depending on their needs. My spouse can get away with more carbs than me. I however am very sensitive and aim for 0 but allow 20g a day at the upper limit on the days I eat.

Last edited:
I have been doing intermittent fasting for a couple of years now and it is very effective in terms of mastering my eating schedule and reinforced the general understanding that food is simply my fuel. I don't think about food hardly at all during the course of a day and could easily go without eating for 24 hours or more. I drink only water...but can't go more than 8 hours without that. I don't count calories, no macros, none of that stuff.

For food consumption, I eat a handful of peanuts at 10 am, for lunch a bag full (two fists put together amount) of vegetables (celery, carrots, grape tomatoes, red/green/yellow peppers, broccoli), 2:30 snack is an apple or an orange, prior to 6pm for dinner I will eat anything from spaghetti to pulled pork to potatoes and chicken...whatever...I eat meat pretty regular but not in large quantities. The point is for the most part, everything I eat is either raw or cooked without being processed too much. I don't eat many bread products and as you may be able to tell, not much sugar either so no junk food.

This has done a couple of things to my psyche and the way I view food. When its time to eat at dinner, I have a window to consume and so quite naturally and subconsciously my choices are those foods which are high in nutrients. When I see a red/yellow/green pepper my body and mind react to it the same way it used to react to a banana split. For me, that is a good place to be and as I approach half a century in age I feel better and have more muscle mass than I did 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by dave1251
I agree with you this diet is not for everyone. Nothing takes place of variety, balance, and sensible diet.

Dave for those with proper body weight if they can keep control with sensible diet fine. Some of us are wired differently and have to cut carbs to keep the weight away. Especially those of us that have Type-2 Diabetes where insulin / glucose doesn't work properly.

Have a watch of this: https://youtu.be/q8BGYhreaco

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to do Keto which is extremely low carb but carbs control is the answer it's just the amount of carbs allowed that would be different for each person depending on their needs. My spouse can get away with more carbs than me. I however am very sensitive and aim for 0 but allow 20g a day at the upper limit on the days I eat.

Sorry Bud from what you have posted your in a unique situation and this diet is working for you but if you eat 2,400 calories and you burn 2,600 everyday you will lose weight. I don't know long it took you to your peak weight I'm guessing decades and with your health issues you had to lose weight fast. Keto helped you lose this weight and good for you.

Back