Helping sister shop for new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WhyMe
a hyundai elantra can be had for about 16k these days in my area . good warranty . having bought my first hyundai last month they seem to be a pretty solid vehicle. this is coming from a honda and toyota person. also the elantra has a conventional trans in it

No way you want any of those Theta DI Engined Hyundai's or Kias. They are horrible engines just look it up. I was far from impressed with how the little things held up too . I did way too many suspension and brake jobs for ours and friends Hyundai's to ever recommend one.
Stick with a Corolla or Civic as long as she can remember to get that CVT serviced . And can put up with the hideous acceleration of the corolla . We test drove a 15 corolla and it was the worst pigs ive seen since the old 1 BBL carbs departed🤬. I wouldn't want to have to depend on one of those in fast ugly traffic personally. Too bad they went CVT the earlier ones were fantastic.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by geeman789
Honda Fit ... super practical, fun to drive, great on gas, a little more power than Yaris. Plus, you can get leather / NAV / sunroof if that's your thing, for around 20 k.

Looks ... ? Opinions vary !

And the worst riding car in it's segment. I can find reviews all day long about the poor ride quality. I don't know the number of these things Honda sells-but it's not much.............

Just looked-they average 2,000 units a month.......their highest month was March of 2015 at 6,600 units.

I'm going to be the one off:
-VW Golf Sportwagen. Base S AT model please. 15" cheap tires, takes regular gas.
VW sold about 2,700 (including Alltrack and DSG 4Motion) in January-February 2019.
Good riding, price dropping since wagons don't sell.
Since she drives 10k per year, she will not suffer the carbon DI build up.
Should server her well for 80k miles, 8 years. Then adjust at that time.

Used option:
-Kia Soul. They are the king of rental/lease returns. Should find something low miles under $15k.
-Toyota Prius: Are hybrids selling well?
-Chevy Volt: because of ^^^
-Ford C-Max: same ^^^

Originally Posted by pandus13
Are hybrids selling well?

Not right at the moment, but if the gas prices go very much higher, they will become "as hot as a pistol". If/when the gas prices get REALLY high, they will get to be almost unobtainable (like they did in 2008).
To the OP, since this is your sister, if it were me, I would only recommend something that I KNOW going in will be a good car. Another Corolla is the obvious choice since she is already well familiar with it and she herself knows that it is a good car. If she wants a car that gets extremely high gas mileage, then the new Corolla Hybrid is worth the higher investment, especially if/when the gas prices go really high.

Thanks for all the help everyone. She went with a 2019 Honda Civic LX Got it for $19,800 out the door. She is very happy and loved the way it drove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back