Annoying ATF fluid exchange on Kia Forte 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drained and replaced ATF fluid in my 2017 Kia Forte and while doing so I found an annoying design flaw in my car. According to the repair manual, you simply have to heat up the engine, drain and then remove the air intake/air filter to be able to access the fill plug on the top of the transmission. Well, for some reason, the piece that connects to my gear stick was too close to the fill plug and I was unable to remove the plug because a portion of it sat on top of it. I tried to wiggle it out and do anything I could and it simply would not come off. Nothing in the repair manual states this piece has to be removed and the few videos or forums I have seen have not mentioned this so I can only assume it was a build flaw on my car. So, I ended up getting a fluid pump and pumping in 4 QT's through the level indicator port after I raised up the front part of the car. An annoying process but I got it done. I leveled the car back out, got it to temp and a nice little stream came out of the level indicator. A 1 hour job became three but that's ok. Here are some photo's so you can see the process. Anyone else see this before?

20190512_141100.jpg

20190512_153946.jpg

20190512_155643.jpg

20190512_155651.jpg

To clarify, the piece with the yellow dot I could move by shifting gears, it was the metal/rubber combo piece just below it.

Wow, that is nuts. So basically that piece renders the fill hole unusable. smh Thanks for the clarification, I was looking at the yellow piece. Is that an engineering or an assembly mistake? Be interested to know if other same model have the same issue. Glad you were able to figure out a workaround.

I sure do miss the traditional drain and fill setup. I want to do my 17 SantaFe and not really looking forward to it. Could do my old Hyundai and Kia in minutes.

I should have the same transmission as your 17 Forte, and just wanted to say that popping that side port off to fill is how I will be doing mine next time. I could get that top fill plug off on mine with a 3/8" extension, and did. Filling through that hole was so slow and messy. I drain and fill with Valvoline, though, and need to find a pump cap that works with those bottles.

Originally Posted by Brian553
I could get that top fill plug off on mine with a 3/8" extension, and did.
As soon as I saw the square, my first thought was "use a ratchet" (with extension presumably). The hex definitely appears blocked but from the angle shown in the picture, it appears that a 3/8" or 1/2" drive should fit.

I should have the same transmission as your 17 Forte, and just wanted to say that popping that side port off to fill is how I will be doing mine next time. I could get that top fill plug off on mine with a 3/8" extension, and did. Filling through that hole was so slow and messy. I drain and fill with Valvoline, though, and need to find a pump cap that works with those bottles.

I was able to unscrew it, but that metal piece just under the yellow dot would not allow me to pull it out.

Still under warranty? Have a dealer look at it. Probably assembled wrong
Even if out of warranty have them look at it

Not the first time I've seen that kind of thing out of Kia. Several years ago I was doing a trans D&F on a Kia minivan. The drain plug was situated directly above a frame crossmember and you could get the plug out to where the fluid would drain, but not all the way out to clean it or change the crush washer.

Good thinking on their part.

I have only done a D&F according to the repair manual one time. It took forever , fluid went everywhere, never did it again. Since then on hundreds of KIA's I have pulled the 24mm drain bolt, reinstall then remove the level plug and have used that as the fill port. The metal piece you see is the transmission range selector.

So you filled it up through the dipstick opening? Like most cars require.
My 3.0L Honda doesn't fill through the dipstick, has a fill hole bolt one top of the trans. Dipstick tube too narrow for fill. Would have thought if OP could fill though a tube (if it has one), he would have come up with that option first.

Originally Posted by Datarock
..I was able to unscrew it, but that metal piece just under the yellow dot would not allow me to pull it out.
As I'm sure you did, I saw the 3/8" ratchet looking center square as a choice to unscrew too. However as you clarified in follow up, the yellow dot piece (which looks like it can move with trans selection) isn't what keeps the fill plug from coming out, it's the piece underneath it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I could get that top fill plug off on mine with a 3/8" extension, and did.
As soon as I saw the square, my first thought was "use a ratchet" (with extension presumably). The hex definitely appears blocked but from the angle shown in the picture, it appears that a 3/8" or 1/2" drive should fit.

Yep, I found the D&F out on other forums, and they said it accepts a 3/8" drive.

To OP: my point was that the way you did it is best. Don't bother removing the top plug because it isn't a aster fill.

That range sensor has to be able to come off, but what a pain to have to do so.

I wonder if that one ear can be ground down just a tad, or do those act as detents for the sensor?

Took my '14 Soul, 2.0L, to dealer and they did a complete drain, not just the 4 qts, for $200. For me it was worth that and got lot of items checked free: 4 wheel alignment checked and perfect, brake wear, air filters checked, wash job, etc. Good documentation on these things.

Once upon a time I could do all these things but age is slowing me down now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JTK
That range sensor has to be able to come off, but what a pain to have to do so.

I found a video on YT with a guy doing a drain-and-fill on the same year and model. He removed that fill plug but didn't show it. Didn't mention any issues getting it out either.

Mine on the Elantra is very similar, it bound alittle, but turning it towards the side as I removed it allowed it to come right out. Did the same for reinstall, then threaded it down.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
My 3.0L Honda doesn't fill through the dipstick, has a fill hole bolt one top of the trans. Dipstick tube too narrow for fill. Would have thought if OP could fill though a tube (if it has one), he would have come up with that option first.

..I was able to unscrew it, but that metal piece just under the yellow dot would not allow me to pull it out.
As I'm sure you did, I saw the 3/8" ratchet looking center square as a choice to unscrew too. However as you clarified in follow up, the yellow dot piece (which looks like it can move with trans selection) isn't what keeps the fill plug from coming out, it's the piece underneath it.

You can also fill through the dipstick if you choose, you just have to have a suitable funnel. That's the only way I do my two J-series cars, the fill port is just too stupid to get to.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Originally Posted by Sayjac

You can also fill through the dipstick if you choose, you just have to have a suitable funnel. That's the only way I do my two J-series cars, the fill port is just too stupid to get to.

Except that car does not have a dipstick, like very many newer cars don't.

Not sure about the OP car but my 2013 Santa Fe Sport has the same basic trans with a similar fill port shown (but plug easily removes). Additionally mine has another fill port on top - looks the same as the metal drain plug. It requires removal of the airbox and is well back near the firewall, at a lower level on the case. The nice thing is it is a fast,clean pour, no slow messy gourgling like the normal fill port. Check to see if you have it. Hyundai service manual does not show it - I learned this method on the Hyundai Forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back