2001 Impala wheel squeak during right turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2001 Impala with 111,000 miles on it was making a wheel squeak when I applied the brakes and also when making a right turn. The front pads are not that old and only have a few thousand miles on them. I told my mechanic about it last week and he said he cant look at it until Tuesday, but in the mean time to take it to a self service car wash and spray the disks and pads to remove any trapped dirt. I did that (drove it there and parked for 15 minutes to let the disks cool before spraying) and now it does not squeak during breaking but still squeaks during right turns. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I'm thinking bearings.

I just got back from a short trip with the Impala to my mechanc. Now it is squeaking during breaking again, and also during right turns. I wonder if a squealer for a break pad might be set too low? It sounds like the squeak is coming from the front. I don't think the front pads have anywhere near enough miles on them to be low enough to cause the squealer to squeak if they are adjusted properly. BTW, the mechanic said that he is short a couple of men and that he can't get it in until Thursday.

Last edited:
Make sure the lug nuts aren't over torqued. Co-worker had this issue after the stealership swapped out the snow tires.

They wanted him to get a $1000 brake job.

Speaking of lug nuts, a couple of years ago when changing to the winter set of tires a lug nut stripped. I bought all new lug nuts for all four wheels from NAPA.

The summer set of tires (all four) were put on in mid February, and the squeaking only started last week. But just to make sure that is not the problem I will have my mechanic remove all lug nuts, and tighten with them with a torque wrench. I do not have a torque wrench. BTW, does anyone know the proper torque speck for the lug nuts for a 2001 Chevy Impala?

JC1 thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, both the winter and summer set of tires are on steel rims, and I blast the salt off of them at a car wash, give them at least a day to dry, and paint them with spray Rustoleum satin black each year.

Steel rims should be easier on installing than alloy wheels. I have heard bad stories about wheels falling off if not retorqued within 50 to 100 miles after initial instillation with alloy wheels. A neighbor had a Ford van with alloy wheels that that happened to and after it happened the shop that installed the tire showed him the fine print on his receipt that said the wheels must be retorqued within 50 to 100 miles after initially installed.

Last edited:
Long time back I had a Buick with the styled steel wheels. Mag look with beauty rings, like Chevy Rally wheels.
The [censored] grippers would squeak on the front, turning/breaking would make it worse, guess the dynamics or flex or ??
Same on a vette a few years later.

If you have wheel covers pull them, see if that's it. Long shot I know, it was metal to metal back then, today plastic.

I just went through this same problem on a friend's 2006 Chevy Impala, except it would squeak when turning left. It turned out the inner brake pads on both sides up front were worn down to the metal, activating the squealers. The outer pads still had some of life. It might not be the same issue, but it's worth a look.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Speaking of lug nuts, a couple of years ago when changing to the winter set of tires a lug nut stripped. I bought all new lug nuts for all four wheels from NAPA.

The summer set of tires (all four) were put on in mid February, and the squeaking only started last week. But just to make sure that is not the problem I will have my mechanic remove all lug nuts, and tighten with them with a torque wrench. I do not have a torque wrench. BTW, does anyone know the proper torque speck for the lug nuts for a 2001 Chevy Impala?

Jim,

Time to stop at HF and get a torque wrench. Torque spec is 80ft lbs.

https://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/wheel-torque#chevrolet

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

For what it may or may not be worth , you can catch a 1/2" drive torque wrench for $10 - $15 at harbor freight and impact sockets for around $20 . Buy a floor jack for $50 - $100 and some jack stands .

A common problem on the Tundra are the brake backing plates rubbing the rotor.
It usually happens after wheel removal when the plate is bent during removal or install.
The noise presents itself while turning.

Check your ball joints too - I just had an Accord in the shop for squeaking - sounded like bad struts but it was the lower ball joint. It had a torn boot so over time the lube disappeared and the dry metal to metal made the squeak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back