Fram PH/TG/XG8A + HP1 flow rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent a request to Fram about the flow rates of the PH8A, TG8A, XG8A, and HP1 filters. I was curious how the new staff there might respond. Here is the response I received from them.

Per our engineering team all filters are tested at ISO 4548-12 test standards. The test is performed with MIL-H-5606 oil at 40 C temperature. The filters are only tested at 3GPM per test requirements. Here are the restriction results for each model:

PH8A: 1.8 PSI @ 3GPM

TG8A: 1.8 PSI @ 3GPM

XG8A: 1.5 PSI @ 3GPM

HP1: 1.45 PSI @ 3GPM

A search for MIL-H-5606 technical properties showed a KV40 of 13.8 cSt.

Thanks for posting this information.
thumbsup2.gif

Correct me if i'm wrong ,but would this mean the oil flows easier thru the XG8A, compared to the TG8A?

I sent the same request to WIX regarding the 51515, 51515XP, and 51515R filters. Their response was...

We can't give out that information.

31.gif

Originally Posted by rollinpete
thumbsup2.gif

Correct me if i'm wrong ,but would this mean the oil flows easier thru the XG8A, compared to the TG8A?

Yes. Less restriction at the same flow rate while also filtering better.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
thumbsup2.gif

Yes. Less restriction at the same flow rate while also filtering better.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Is the difference significant?

That was my first thought.

Are smaller filters tested at proportionately lower flow rates, or the same? If the same, pressure drop would go considerably higher.

Last edited:
I sent a request to Fram about the flow rates of the PH8A, TG8A, XG8A, and HP1 filters. I was curious how the new staff there might respond. Here is the response I received from them.

Per our engineering team all filters are tested at ISO 4548-12 test standards. The test is performed with MIL-H-5606 oil at 40 C temperature. The filters are only tested at 3GPM per test requirements. Here are the restriction results for each model:

Looking at them numbers now for a while and they don't seem right?
If I managed to get my truck to go 90 down the highway and get the oil pressure up to 50 psi on the xg8a filter i'd be pumping 100 gpm of oil.
Can anyone explain this to a simple folk like me.
lol.gif

Looking at them numbers now for a while and they don't seem right?
If I managed to get my truck to go 90 down the highway and get the oil pressure up to 50 psi on the xg8a filter i'd be pumping 100 gpm of oil.
Can anyone explain this to a simple folk like me.
lol.gif

Pressure drop (delta-p) across the oil filter has nothing to do with how much oil pressure you see on the dashboard gauge.

Go info, thanks for posting. 13.8 cSt is like a light 40 weight at 212 deg F.

Here's a couple of delta-p vs flow graphs for comparison. One is the PureOne from Purolator that shows delta-p vs flow with hot oil of about the same viscosity. Also a graph of the Ford Racing filter with unknown oil viscosity, but it would have to be relatively hot oil IMO to obtain a graph like that. Looking at 3 GPM on the graph, the PureOne is 1.2 PSID and the Ford Racing is 2.5 PSID.

As mentioned many times, most oil filters out there will not have much delta-p with hot oil ... way less than most people would think. Even at 10 GPM, the delta-p will only be 4 to 5 PSID with hot oil.

PureOne Flow vs Delta-P Curve.JPG

Ford Racing Filter - FL820 Spec Sheet.jpg

The secret to the better flow with the Purolator is the tear in the media.
laugh.gif

LoL ... that graph was produced before the days of media tearing, but yeah it would be even better with constant bypassing of oil through tears.

What these Fram numbers indicate is-it takes quite a bit to put a filter into bypass, unless very cold temperatures, very thick oil, or a whole lot of contaminant is involved.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
What these Fram numbers indicate is-it takes quite a bit to put a filter into bypass, unless very cold temperatures, very thick oil, or a whole lot of contaminant is involved.

Exactly. The bypass setting for the XG8A is 12 psid which means you'd need to be pump a light 40 grade at 212*F to 24 gpm before the bypass would open.

What I'd like to see is a graph or some sort of calculation of the psid increase as viscosity increases.

What I'd like to see is a graph or some sort of calculation of the psid increase as viscosity increases.

Cold vs Hot Flow vs PSID of the same group of oil filters. I think these graphs came from AC Delco showing how their full synthetic UltraGuard filter performed.

Not sure I totally believe the cold delta-p data on some of those filters, as it doesn't make sense that a filter that has 2~2.5 PSID at 3 GPM with hot oil would have 25~40 PSID at 3 GPM with cold oil (grey and green lines). That data seems way out of bed with the others. IMO, the 'family of curves' should be similar cold vs hot.

Oil Filter Delta-P Chart with Cold Oil.jpg

Oil Filter Delta-P Chart with Hot Oil.jpg

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Not sure I totally believe the cold delta-p data on some of those filters, as it doesn't make sense

All those the numbers seem unbelievably high....?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back