Brand new car: the simple way to keep paint and wheels in decent shape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

We will have a new Suzuki Vitara at home very soon! It will come in that color scheme:

[Linked Image]

We'd like to keep it "forever" it will not get more than 10000 miles a year, but it will be parked at home, in the driveway. It gets sun mainly from upside, left and right will not be exposed as long.

What do you recommend as a simple, not too expensive and effective way to keep the paint and alloys in decent shape?

Also, the car is fitted with led projectors, should I plan to put clear film on them?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but there's ton of info on the interwebs and everybody seems to have it's vision of the job.

So, naturally let's roll the BITOG way

This depends on what is available on Reunion Island.

For basics, use the two bucket wash method with grit guards. Use quality microfiber wash mitts and towels throughout the procedure. Use a good high lubricity car wash soap like Optimum Car Wash as one example. After finding off the soap apply either a spray wax or a spray sealant as a drying aid. Kills two birds with one stone so to speak.

I am using a similar process on our Mazda now using Optimum Car Wash and follow with Sonax Spray and Seal. It cuts down the time and ends up with a great finish and good uv protection with minimal effort.

I see "reputable" brands like Sonax and Meguiar's available everywhere here. Any item to recommend? Could I wax the windows and winshield and wheels too? And those projectors... I'm worrying about them. Any clear protective covering I could stretch on them!

And maybe I'll put a shade cover on the driveway, not a big job if required. And a car cover if it stays parked for more than 2 nights

Originally Posted by Superflan
I see "reputable" brands like Sonax and Meguiar's available everywhere here. Any item to recommend? Could I wax the windows and winshield and wheels too? And those projectors... I'm worrying about them. Any clear protective covering I could stretch on them!

And maybe I'll put a shade cover on the driveway, not a big job if required. And a car cover if it stays parked for more than 2 nights

I'm familiar with the Sonax products. They are all top notch. The beauty of the Spray and Seal is that you can use it on all the exterior surfaces. That way you don't need a trim product for example. It is a spray on and hose off product. The uv protection will apply to those headlights as well. For the rubber seals in the doors and such the gold standard is Gummi Pflege.

The Spray and Seal works on glass too but you have to dry it completely after rinsing off or you will have water spots.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Buy a Jaguar or Range Rover, it will be in climate controlled shop most of the time.

Ha ha ha really good one great joke

Buy a Jaguar or Range Rover, it will be in climate controlled shop most of the time.

lol.gif

LOL, that unfortunately is a good one, but also true.

Ceramic coating or wrap the entire body with paint protection film. Costs a small fortune, but well worth it in the long run.

Ceramic coating. And, when you do brakes in the future, buy OEM or high-quality dustless pads. Saves your wheels so much wear and tear.

Last edited:
Seriously though, Turtle Wax Ice products are outstanding for the money.

Not if you want durability and real UV protection...Turtle Wax ICE UV protection only lasts about 30 days.

To answer the OP...

The best time to put on a solid protection that is on a new vehicle. You want not only shine, but protection and durability. Once you do your detailing for the first time...how often to do it again depends on the products you choose.

There are several good products you can use. Here is just one thread that describes some of the choices - there are other threads on this site as well. Don't get lost in the marketing hype on products...research the product details on composition and durability, as well as UV protection:

Detailing Twice Per Year

+1 on the paint protection film. I'm trying to keep my Miata pristine, but, the tiny rock chips on the front fascia and hood are driving me crazy. When I try to leave a bigger gap with the car in front of me on the highway, people inevitably pass me and kick up even more small chips when crossing the center line. Get protective film on hood and front end.

The answer is always a garage. In South Florida the sun is very strong and kills paint. Nothing, as far as waxes go, seems to work.

Originally Posted by Cujet
The answer is always a garage. In South Florida the sun is very strong and kills paint. Nothing, as far as waxes go, seems to work.

Certainly a garage is best. Next best...lots of UV protection product and regular detailing with real UV protection products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back