Helping sister shop for new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kia and Hyundai offer the best bang for the buck IMO.

The elantra and Kia Forte are a good car. She can get a nice 2017 or even 18 for 15k or less still under warranty. Or a new one for around 20k depending on trim level.

If she wanted a smaller car the Rio and Accent are also nice.

A 2019 Corolla LE automatic is running about $17000 through the Costco car buying program right now.

We're working on one of these for my mother as we speak...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Boomer
Look at the VW Jetta. Six year warranty, good reviews and excellent fuel economy.

+1, She save money on gas due to the frequent dealership visits.
27.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. She is 56 Taking loosing her husband pretty hard. I'm trying to help. She wants new because she feels this will be with her for a long time. Like I said, her 2007 was going to be with her for 200k miles at least but the accident didn't make that happen.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering about Hyundai, The seem to have come a long way and have good options for the money.

I had a 2013 Sonata 2.4L until it was totalled at about 70K miles.
One of the best cars I've had. Good style, great on gas, good handling, roomy and reliable.
Lightly used newer Sonatas can be had for a great price. Go with Limited trim.
New, the Elantra is a nice ride, SEL or higher trim.
For that matter the Kona starts at $19,500.
And quite a few Hyundai models are built in Georgia.

+2 for the Toyota Corolla leftover, if you want a car that you don't have to think about other then to add gas and change the oil, that's your car.

At 56, any medical issues physically? Does she drive alone or go with friends? Does she need cargo space?

Fuel economy is a definite consideration with her income. The Kia Soul is a great vehicle with excellent visibility and good utility. Easy to get in and out of.

Another Toyota Corolla would put her in a newer but familiar car. That's a plus in addition to the reliability that comes with Toyota.

A lot of good choices here.

I think the Corolla would be a safer bet than Hyundai. I bought 2017 Elantra SE for 15k. Nice car but too soon to tell long term reliability. I would avoid Hyundai with a Theta 2 engine. Some low mileage ones have failing engines or going into limp mode until a needed part is available. There is a long warranty but also potential issues with some models.

Some people are confusing "Cars you want her to buy" with "Cars she should buy"

I helped a newly single mother of 2 pick out a car in 2006; Rav4; it has been a reliable daily workhorse and was given to her daughter for a few years and then returned to her mother; It is still being driven.

Give me all the "appliance" talk you want; that is what she needed and probably what the OP's sister needs.

1 Repair in 200K miles, 14 years of constant use.

If she has owned a corolla, that is a good choice.

Last edited:
Another Toyota fan. It isn't a perfect vehicle , But so far they have just needed tire swaps and a couple oil changes. I don't know if I'm just lucky I wasn't a willing Participant in the Great 2 Camry buy. My wife handled the purchase entirely. The ownership experience is way different from keeping 20 yr old BMWs on the road. However, I'm at an age when car crawling has become a slow and painful process. The 4 cylinder is plenty in the Camry and gives decent MPG for a 3200LB sedan.
grin2.gif

She drives alone. She goes off by herself mostly. Her 2007 Corolla served well, had all the room she needed so another one would fit the bill well. She said she doesn't need all the bells and whistles but I told her that they all come that way anymore. Android play would be a plus since she had to put a radio in her 2007 to do that.

Originally Posted by Rat407
Thanks for the suggestions. She is 56 Taking loosing her husband pretty hard. I'm trying to help. She wants new because she feels this will be with her for a long time. Like I said, her 2007 was going to be with her for 200k miles at least but the accident didn't make that happen.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering about Hyundai, The seem to have come a long way and have good options for the money.

Corvette

So she drives around 10K each year?
Neither fuel economy nor warranty will matter much based upon that amount of use.
If she was happy with her Corolla, put her in a new one.
No need for Costco or any other helper in getting her a decent price. I paid a good bit less than the Costco price when I bought my newest car.
Email a bunch of dealers within an acceptable drive and see what they'll offer.
Then go to any dealer to actually drive a car and you can make an offer based upon what you know to be a good price.
Put her in a car she was happy driving and feels comfortable with.
Other than the nutso exterior look, a new Corolla should be a solid and well built machine which you can't say of certain other cars at the lower end of the food chain.

Originally Posted by Rat407
She drives alone. She goes off by herself mostly. Her 2007 Corolla served well, had all the room she needed so another one would fit the bill well. She said she doesn't need all the bells and whistles but I told her that they all come that way anymore. Android play would be a plus since she had to put a radio in her 2007 to do that.

Look at the Hyundai Elantra then. The mid-level trim, SEL and Value Edition, has Android play and can be had for less than $18,000. Plus has the 10year/100k on the power train warranty.

I don't like the new Corollas due to the CVT trans.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I'd go used. Yeah, a Corolla is the ticket.

Not for a corolla, or a civic. The depreciation per mile isn't worth it.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Some people are confusing "Cars you want her to buy" with "Cars she should buy"

I helped a newly single mother of 2 pick out a car in 2006; Rav4; it has been a reliable daily workhorse and was given to her daughter for a few years and then returned to her mother; It is still being driven.

Give me all the "appliance" talk you want; that is what she needed and probably what the OP's sister needs.

1 Repair in 200K miles, 14 years of constant use.

If she has owned a corolla, that is a good choice.

Agree. I have a variety of reasons why Im not a big fan, and why I chose against certain Toyota offerings (Camry, Sienna). But in this situation, especially if money is limited, they seem to be the right choice. This woman doesn't need fancy, she needs basic, reliable, no frills transportation.

Sorry to hear her 07 got totaled. I have an 07 Corolla as well, its been great. Have her test drive a newer Corolla, even consider used if you want to reduce the cost even more. I bought mine for under 8 grand with 53k miles and im at 165k miles and still going strong. My father in law loves his 2018 Corolla, adds some nice safety features. As long as a CVT doesnt scare her. He averages 38-40mpg. Personally, id pick one up thats a few years old.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Honda Fit ... super practical, fun to drive, great on gas, a little more power than Yaris. Plus, you can get leather / NAV / sunroof if that's your thing, for around 20 k.

Looks ... ? Opinions vary !

And the worst riding car in it's segment. I can find reviews all day long about the poor ride quality. I don't know the number of these things Honda sells-but it's not much.............

Just looked-they average 2,000 units a month.......their highest month was March of 2015 at 6,600 units.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back