2008 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 XLT Automatic 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a pristine truck as listed above. It has the installed towing package. 4WD. 72000 miles. It was not used for towing however if purchased will used for towing a small boat and ATVs on an appropriate trailer. The listed specs I have seen when searching indicates a 6000 lb. towing capacity but 2WD models with the 3.0 is half as much.

Are there any members on the forum with experience with the truck especially with the automatic transmission that can give some insight about the durability of the drive train, towing capacity and the 4.0 V6 engine?

Thanks

Last edited:
A 2008 SOHC 4.0L should be reliable. Early ones had timing chain issues, but a 2008 should have been built with updated parts. I have seen SOHC 4.0s with over 300K miles on them. Keep an eye on the thermostat housing for leaks.

I have had no problems from the automatics I have owned on this platform. The 5R44E in my 02 3.0 has 230K miles on it and I know it is original with one filter change at 148K and regular fluid changes throughout its life. It has about 10,000 miles give or take of towing on it. I believe the A4LD in my 94 Explorer with 249K miles is also original, no evidence it has ever been removed from the truck and the filter I took out was a Ford one with a very crispy pan gasket. That said, like most any light truck automatic, your mileage may vary. I think getting a fluid change early on helps these transmissions live a long life.

Since you are in NY, check the frame, rear spring shackles, and bumper brackets for rot.

I'll just chime in since I have a 2006 B2300 with a 5sp manual.

About 135K, I have already replaced the spring shackles, diff cover and just had the clutch done.

Probably good you are sticking to the auto as I'm not sure the OEM clutch was that durable. I only hauled wood about 1/2% of the time, the rest was daily driving.

As a reference my 2003 echo has over 400K on the original clutch so..... i know how to drive stick.

As mentioned the frames rust like nobody's business; are you upstate or LI? you could always have it Carwell'ed

Last edited:
I've driven the company Ford Ranger quite a bit. It's one of the last years they made it, and as base model you can get (except for an automatic). I'm sure the V6 is a huge step up from the awful four cylinder in ours. What I don't know is whether the suspension is different on yours... Ours rides very harshly, handles terribly (useless in the rain even with new tires), and overall I don't enjoy driving it. The way the transmission shifts is awful, again, perhaps it's the underpowered engine but it just isn't enjoyable to drive at all. Having driven that, despite being fairly reliable, I would never buy one myself.

Last edited:
I like the Ranger if for no other reason than it's one of the last actual small trucks you could buy in America, the other being the Nissan Frontier.

Unfortunately it was kind of left to wither on the vine for a while. I'd say you should take a look at some Nissans, too, but to be honest they suffer from pretty much the same problem. Reliability in both cases should be pretty good, although I think the Nissan has a better engine. They do tend to cost a bit more, though, but still far less than the hideously overpriced used Toyotas.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I like the Ranger if for no other reason than it's one of the last actual small trucks you could buy in America, the other being the Nissan Frontier.

Unfortunately it was kind of left to wither on the vine for a while. I'd say you should take a look at some Nissans, too, but to be honest they suffer from pretty much the same problem. Reliability in both cases should be pretty good, although I think the Nissan has a better engine. They do tend to cost a bit more, though, but still far less than the hideously overpriced used Toyotas.

We also have a Frontier at work. It's marginally more enjoyable to drive but the turning radius is terrible and the interior is falling apart... And it has less miles than our Ranger.

Excellent feedback. Thanks.

Keep it coming if there are more comments.

The truck is owned by an elderly relative who wants to buy a new truck just because. Has the money and realizes he can't take it with him. The Ranger has very little rust underneath and is not a New York vehicle. I live in the Northeast NY area. It generally would not see the salt licks of winter however I may even delve into the DIY rust proofing endeavors as discussed on the forum.

If you buy it, post pix!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Recalculating
Excellent feedback. Thanks.

Keep it coming if there are more comments.

The truck is owned by an elderly relative who wants to buy a new truck just because. Has the money and realizes he can't take it with him. The Ranger has very little rust underneath and is not a New York vehicle. I live in the Northeast NY area. It generally would not see the salt licks of winter however I may even delve into the DIY rust proofing endeavors as discussed on the forum.

That sounds like an ideal Ranger...low miles, not rusty, and you are related to the seller so hopefully the price isn't crazy and you know the history.

I have a 98 ranger 3.0 original auto with 180k. I towed a Honda Accord with it once and I thought it did great.

I have a 2006 with the 4.0, automatic, 4wd. Mine has 79k miles. I love my truck. It tows and hauls everything I need it to, it's a practical size, and it has plenty of power. The only real problem I had was the thermostat housing cracked, which they're known for. Minor repair, and I replaced it with an aftermarket housing that's cast aluminum that solves the problem permanently. Gas mileage isn't that great. I usually get about 16-17 mpg; one time I squeezed out 21 mpg on a long road trip.
Here's mine towing about 4,500 lbs:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back