Repsol Brake Fluid Color

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a repsol DOT brake fluid and it seems to be dark brown in color in the bottle.

But bottle is sealed, any idea if it should be good and usable?

This oneRepsol

How old is it? If you've had it awhile, toss it. You can get new brake fluid at a decent price.

If it's not too old, it's ok to use. Brake fluid can be clear, amber, or anything in between
smile.gif

If it is truly DOT fluid then 49 CFR § 571.116 - Standard No. 116 dictates:

S5.1.14 Fluid color.Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:

DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 non-SBBF - colorless to amber.
DOT 5 SBBF - purple.
Hydraulic system mineral oil - green.

Dark brown is not generally considered the same as "amber".

I've always wondered how the brake fluid in my Mazda that is factory but older than the fluid in my truck still looks and Amber while the newer fluid in my truck has turned dark.

What does, "Synthetic brake fluid designed for motorcycle hydraulic systems" mean. What difference is there between brake fluid for motorcycles and cars? And $8 for half a liter? Valvoline Dot4 is $6 a whole liter at Advance when on sale.

Originally Posted by kschachn
If it is truly DOT fluid then 49 CFR § 571.116 - Standard No. 116 dictates:

S5.1.14 Fluid color.Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:

DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 non-SBBF - colorless to amber.
DOT 5 SBBF - purple.
Hydraulic system mineral oil - green.

Dark brown is not generally considered the same as "amber".

Most hydraulic system fluids for steering and transmissions is red in American cars. European power steering fluid is green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back