Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the article but can you tell that the oil is good just by the assay of the components? It does not have a conclusion, you have to make that yourself.

Perry

Originally Posted by kschachn
Chemical stability is dependent upon the specific compound, not upon the origin of the atoms.

AGREED!!

Cooking oil goes rancid because of oxidation and acids present

Motor oil does NOT "go rancid".... nor do its additive degrade, & typically don't oxidize in a closed bottle, either.

I have used oils more than 20 years old many times. If you keep it dry & out of the sun it'll last nearly forever.

Best to shake it well before using, though.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
I've used several dozen quarts of >10 year old Castrol "green" GC without any problems at all. Both in autos and OPE.

Well we all know the magical elixer known as German Castrol is made by elves, so that does not count.
lol.gif

Now days I am more concerned with the oil containers going bad, not the oil inside it.

As mentioned before, oil shelf life really is not an issue, but oil specs are. I think this is the big reason most manufacturers give a "shelf life".
Valvoline is the only major player I know of with no shelf life listed on their site, the say just make sure it meets spec and shake before using.

Going by how saturated and hydrogenated plant edible oils maintain their stability and resist breakdown for a long period of time, even more so for hydrocracked mineral oils I would think - especially with all those additives and sealed and away from sunlight.

I regularly use 5-7 year old oil (hoard when they are almost free after rebate, now the best I can get is about $2 / qt synthetic).

From my observation the plastic bottle gets "soften" and colored more "yellow", I suspect some oil components get into the plastic and soften it over time. There are also some additives fall out of suspension and settle at the bottom. It is probably fine to use, just not as good as fresh or the newer formula out there with newer spec. Most oil have way more safety margin than we need anyways. My storage condition is in a garage that's almost 50-70 year round, on a shelf, humidity is low, out of sunlight.

Last edited:
It was in the ground for millions of years, surely above ground won't be much different! Lol

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I still have some 'red cap' 15w50 Mobil 1 from like 12 years ago.

It will still be fine 20 years from now..... ZERO worries.

I have a bottle of that too, my guess is it is a lot older than 12 years. You're right it will still be fine in another 20 years.

This thread has me thinking, I might mix some with some PYB 10W30 and use it in my mower.
27.gif

Originally Posted by jongies3
It was in the ground for millions of years, surely above ground won't be much different! Lol

The crude oil was, not the entire finished product with additives. Big difference.

Would be interesting to send a VOA today, then another tens years later, no shaking, just pour. Although technology will be much different, wonder if anything would change? Maybe someone in the biz on this board would have some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back