New "laptop" for son

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my son a new laptop. He is going off to university in the fall and his current desktop computer is getting long in the tooth. I may have gone a bit overboard but I had great fun ordering a customized desktop replacement for him. He has a plug-in optical drive and external backup drive. Unlike me, he also uses the Cloud. While this a gaming laptop, he does some gaming, it's going to be great for other uses also. Since it weighs 9lbs it's not a laptop anyone wants to haul around but my son already has a compact laptop also.

Alienware Area-51m desktop replacement laptop, fully upgradable

17" FHD matte anti-glare display with Tobii eye tracking

lighted keyboard with anti-ghosting

Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @4.9GHz

32GB RAM

512GB RAID (2x 256GB PCIe M.2 SSDs) + 2TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080

Windows 10 pro

Wow, NVMe RAID. That thing is killer.

And I thought the new 12.5" Latitude E7270 I bought for my wife was killer. Has a 6th Gen i7, 8GB DDR4-2133 and 256GB NVMe PCIe X4.

Wow, very nice ! Make sure he keeps a careful eye out to make sure its not stolen- I made my son lock up his Alienware laptop when it was in his dorm room.

Wow. I would agree with overkill for a college kid(or any human)
But that is a really sweet laptop... $2k? +

Edit.... GOOD LORD that thing is over $4300....!

Hopefully he appreciates it as much as you do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2
Seems like overkill, most students I see have 13" macbook pros.

OP said he's already got a lightweight laptop to carry around, this will be for gaming. I've always had gaming laptops myself, the versatility is great.

Nice.

I assume that can be used for SolidWorks, AutoCAD, animation processing, simulation or apps like that.

I had an Alienware while in school and while the weight was quite a bit of a drawback, there wasn't anything I couldn't do with that thing. It was awesome.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Wow, very nice ! Make sure he keeps a careful eye out to make sure its not stolen- I made my son lock up his Alienware laptop when it was in his dorm room.

The computer will be at my brother's house where my son will at least initially stay. He will take his lightweight laptop to class.

I love my MSI gaming laptop. Completely replaced my powerful custom built desktop and we're going on like two years now. Paid $1300 for it, and swapped the secondary hard drive that came with it for a second SSD. I'm planning on building a new desktop by the end of this year but despite being a web developer and gamer I would never spend $4k+ on a computer, it's just overkill.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Nice.

I assume that can be used for SolidWorks, AutoCAD, animation processing, simulation or apps like that.

Correct. However, a RAM upgrade is recommended before it can be used with AutoCad. And to those who think the laptop was expensive, you probably don't know know how much an AutoCad subscription costs.

That really is a powerhouse and cost about five times what I paid for my first car! He needs to keep that locked up big time.

A $5k laptop that isn't portable so he can play video games at college?

Why not just play an Xbox or PS4 or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back