SuperTech - Help! - What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Sometimes Ive had the plastic seal around the bottom of the screw on lid not separate. Therefore the lid could go back on and show no indication of having been opened so who knows

It WILL NOT be harder to turn, as you move the cap counter-clockwise, during the M.O. used in this quote above.

If it begins to get harder to turn (or) cap comes to a stop when slowly turning it, then it's still intact (not tampered with).

Again, for the third time I've mentioned this here, a tampered cap with the plastic seal, is easily recognizeable during the turn of the cap. A tampered cap..... meaning the 2nd purchase of this jug, could have been avoided.

No school degree or scientology is required, to make sure the jug you bring home, is not tampered with. It's a very simple process to determine proper seal. Takes 1.5 seconds for authenticity and avoidance of threads like this one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Ada_Potato
If I was going to do the shady (water) return, I would have bought the Royal Purple. Buying SuperTech and doing a water return doesn't sound logical.
If this was water, I would think the oil would be on the bottom, and water on top. Isn't the density of oil greater than water?

Oil is lighter than water and will always be on top.

I agree with you about choosing a cheaper oil over a more expensive oil. Maybe they were slightly smarter than a box of rocks and thought that trying to return an expensive oil might draw more scrutiny?

//

Did you check to see if the "seal" was glued back on? You should see some residual globules if you look closely.

Maybe since it was their brand Walmart doesnt ask questions?

Why hasn't anyone heard of this type of thing before? Literally thousands of people posting oil changes on this site and this is the only occurrence? Not buying it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Sometimes Ive had the plastic seal around the bottom of the screw on lid not separate. Therefore the lid could go back on and show no indication of having been opened so who knows

It WILL NOT be harder to turn, as you move the cap counter-clockwise, during the M.O. used in this quote above.

If it begins to get harder to turn (or) cap comes to a stop when slowly turning it, then it's still intact (not tampered with).

Again, for the third time I've mentioned this here, a tampered cap with the plastic seal, is easily recognizeable during the turn of the cap. A tampered cap..... meaning the 2nd purchase of this jug, could have been avoided.

No school degree or scientology is required, to make sure the jug you bring home, is not tampered with. It's a very simple process to determine proper seal. Takes 1.5 seconds for authenticity and avoidance of threads like this one.

This whole holier-than-thou thing is a little much, don't you think? Sheesh.

This looks like a classic case of Walmart lax return policy-itis.

There are numerous ways to get around welded caps. As was said earlier - they often don't separate on their own, and you can certainly get them off intact with a little encouragement. This will usually stretch them, so to spoof it - the welded ring can be glued to the bottle once you screw it back on so it looks like the ring is functioning properly (not moving).

Never underestimate the creativity of the ill intentioned.

Caveat emptor.

Originally Posted by BLND1

There are numerous ways to get around welded caps. As was said earlier - they often don't separate on their own, and you can certainly get them off intact with a little encouragement. This will usually stretch them, so to spoof it - the welded ring can be glued to the bottle once you screw it back on so it looks like the ring is functioning properly (not moving).

Caveat emptor.

Dude
What don't you understand about how a tampered cap will not get tighter - even tight, when slowly unscrewing it? I explained this here more than once.
OMG!

21.gif

People need to inspect the jug-caps b/4 buying them. It's simple to do. It's easy ..... it's quick. If one forgets and gets burned, then please don't complain about the tampering here.

Yesterday I grabbed several jugs and twisted them around looking at the sight window … all looked good and something this bad would have slimed that window badly …
Used oil would be obvious …
The only thing you might not detect is someone putting cheap stuff in a better jug … 2 out of 3 anyway … and the seals beyond that …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yesterday I grabbed several jugs and twisted them around looking at the sight window … all looked good and something this bad would have slimed that window badly …
Used oil would be obvious …
The only thing you might not detect is someone putting cheap stuff in a better jug … 2 out of 3 anyway … and the seals beyond that …

This!
01.gif

Caveat emptor.

Dude
What don't you understand about how a tampered cap will not get tighter - even tight, when slowly unscrewing it? I explained this here more than once.
OMG!

21.gif

People need to inspect the jug-caps b/4 buying them. It's simple to do. It's easy ..... it's quick. If one forgets and gets burned, then please don't complain about the tampering here.

Oh, how I wish I could be a professional oil jug cap inspector like Triple_Se7en lol

How could this just happen to one jug of oil. At the refinery, if this happened there, there would be hundreds of these. I'll still use supertech in a heartbeat when my stash runs low. Running 0w20 right now in my Mazda.

I smell fish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Toros
Why hasn't anyone heard of this type of thing before? Literally thousands of people posting oil changes on this site and this is the only occurrence? Not buying it.

It has happened to me, also with Supertech oil. There wasn't water in the jug, but someone else's used oil.

Caveat emptor.

Indeed. Consider SuperTech is only $15-18 for 5 qt, and the amount of effort to tamper it undetected, you really have to be desperate or are conditioned to cheat just for the frill to do something like this.

No matter the seal, there are always ways around it with heat or cutting open 2 jugs in a weird way to make 1 to reseal perfectly, there is no way to avoid that, but it is also not worth the trouble for 99% of the people out there.

This isn't fraud related, but i once pulled into a Walmart parking lot to see and empty jug of oil, full oil catch pan, oily rags and a big oil spill in a parking space. So I would concur that people never cease to surprise me with crappy things they do.

I was messing around with a sealed oil bottle and I stuck my knife under the bottom seal ring and put a good amount of pressure on it and started to spin the cap and it came right off in one piece. I put it back on and I couldn't even tell if was removed.

I have frequently gotten the seal ring to come off intact and still attached to the cap without even trying.

I've taken open containers of Wal-Mart branded Eucerin I use for winter dry skin back because I didn't like it. I was honest, had a receipt, and they gave me a refund no questions asked.

Originally Posted by Jesse_NE
I've taken open containers of Wal-Mart branded Eucerin I use for winter dry skin back because I didn't like it. I was honest, had a receipt, and they gave me a refund no questions asked.

That is honest. Completely different than someone putting used oil or water back into a container and passing it off as brand new.

Originally Posted by Env1ous

That is honest. Completely different than someone putting used oil or water back into a container and passing it off as brand new.

This opens up a huge can of worms. Should we have the right to return anything we don't like? Food? Underwear ?

The oil swap is fraud. The breakfast cereal I didn't like is a learning experience and I wouldn't buy it again.

"The breakfast cereal I didn't like is a learning experience and I wouldn't buy it again."

Agree; valid return depends on vendor policy, I guess.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Env1ous

This opens up a huge can of worms. Should we have the right to return anything we don't like? Food? Underwear ?

The oil swap is fraud. The breakfast cereal I didn't like is a learning experience and I wouldn't buy it again.

My point was there is a difference between being honest and them choosing to accept a return and someone deceiving and returning used oil to put back on the shelf for other customers. When you return your underwear, I *hope* they do not put them back lol (again, their discretion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back