Helping sister shop for new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, my sister is looking at getting a new car. She needs to keep it under $20k. What is available in Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, GM, Ford?

She has a 2007 Corolla now with 120k on it and the reason for getting a new car is this one was hit and is totaled.

Her husband passed away and it is just her and is on a limited income for the job she has.

Suggestions?

I've been looking at Toyota and Honda for the most part but thought to get more idea's.
Thanks

She can probably get a brand new Regal for under 20k
smile.gif

The Corolla hatchback may be in her price range, too. There is also the Honda Fit

A leftover 2018 Focus hatchback is good but ONLY if you can find one with the manual transmission.

Bummer on the totaled Corolla, as those 05-08 were bulletproof and proven reliable. Tell her to get another Corolla and keep on driving.

Last edited:
If she plans to keep it for a long time, maybe get something with long warranty - Hyundai/Kia... Hyundai Kona, Kia Soul, etc.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Stay with the Corolla

Yeah if she liked the first one, she should be good with another...unless CVT is not her thing.

That said if she can stretch her budget, the Corolla with a Manual Transmission Corolla is 22....and a Mazda3 can be had for 21.

hyundai elantra? I looked at 2017's a few years ago seemed like 16k including tax was almost doable.

a hyundai elantra can be had for about 16k these days in my area . good warranty . having bought my first hyundai last month they seem to be a pretty solid vehicle. this is coming from a honda and toyota person. also the elantra has a conventional trans in it

no CVT for sure better without DI but tough to avoid + turbos are questionable on most but not all makes. VWs 6 yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty a big plus IMO. if you live in a small town look for bigger dealers in bigger towns that look for higher volume sales with smaller profits. no matter where you buy they gotta warranty it locally!

Honda Fit ... super practical, fun to drive, great on gas, a little more power than Yaris. Plus, you can get leather / NAV / sunroof if that's your thing, for around 20 k.

Looks ... ? Opinions vary !

without knowing her age, interests or hobbies, it is hard to tell

however, there is always that safe bet Civic/Corolla

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Corolla
+9
A used 2018 LE with good miles can be purchased for around $13k. Great bang for the buck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back