Chevrolet Volt Manufacturer OCI Instructions. What about the 1 year thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined BITOG when I was trying to find out if I really had to change my oil once a year in my 1985 Corvette despite the fact that it hardly ever gets driven 3k in a year let alone 5, 7.5 or 10k.

It seems commonplace for both automakers and oil producers to recommend the one year thing. The cars I have personally owned usually were 7.5k/1 year for my Kias or OLM/1 year for my GMs. Oil wise there is Mobil 1 AP an Amsoil 15/25k. I am pretty sure even my small engines even call for annual oil changes.

Look, I follow the manual just because I see no reason for manufacturers to lie about something like this. Most people don't give a (edit-mod) about cars let alone oil chemistry and whatnot.

I bought a 2019 Chevrolet Volt (I like it regardless of any negative attributes everyone has gone out of their way to make known to me since I bought it LOL although I am not a fanboy either. I know some people think it is stupid/gm is crap, etc, etc so lets just talk about the oil part plz) and interestingly enough, they say OLM or 2 years.

So OLM or 2 year seems interesting to me because of the pervasiveness of the 1 year thing. In addition, it seems like there is a consensus that infrequent usage, short trips, and low temperatures are the reason it still needs to be changed. Those are literally the operating conditions for the Volt's ICE.

Pretty much if you drive the car in the default mode, it runs on battery for about 60 miles. The engine might kick on a few times if it is really cold to assist with cabin heating or battery coolant temperature management. Like on and off many times in a short time period ESPECIALLY during cold conditions. When the battery runs out, the car pretty much uses the ICE to charge the battery a little and then burn off the excess charge above the minimum. I am sure it is not a direct comparison or even correct, but my understanding is that some trains use diesel to make electric and then use the electric to move the train -- it is kind of like that.

In addition, if you never use up the 60 miles between charges and have no need to burn fuel to move, the car will run the engine to keep the average fuel age in the tank off etc and etc.

So how, if oil spoils over time, and almost always specified 1 year mark, how does this make sense? Some folks (I think amsoil so idk) say that once you run the engine once, the chemical reactions have started and will spoil the oil regardless of use over time. So what gives? The Gen 2 Volt ICE is direct injection as well afaik.

I am not really looking for an answer or advice, just thought it was an interesting talking point for this forum. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what algorithms their OLM is based on, but the functionality of the engine in this case is more like power equipment where you look at hours of operation rather than distance. Does the Volt report that number? I think 100-150 hours engine run time is a typical number for gas engines. The one year parameter is meaningless.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Not sure what algorithms their OLM is based on, but the functionality of the engine in this case is more like power equipment where you look at hours of operation rather than distance. Does the Volt report that number? I think 100-150 hours engine run time is a typical number for gas engines. The one year parameter is meaningless.

No it does not report engine hours.

That was one way I was looking at it as well and would make sense -- but the engine is still like a car engine , not just a generator power equipment thing. https://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/04/20150423-voltec.html

Plus, what about the 1 year thing as a chemical process, since it does run, shouldnt that start the chain reaction often talked about?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nascarnation

The monitor is a complex algorithm that basically counts down engine revolutions with penalties built in for adverse conditions such as low/high oil temperature. It's not a mileage or engine hour counter.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=3601

Last edited:
Use supertech, if money is a concern, and change once a year. You will minimize costs.

Now, you are reading GM-- a corporation known for bad decisions--recommendation. Read what Toyota says about the Prius and other hybrids. What Ford says, what other companies say. I think you will find a common ground.

Originally Posted by badduxx

Plus, what about the 1 year thing as a chemical process, since it does run, shouldnt that start the chain reaction often talked about?

Where are the other chemicals going to come in that do this chemical process?

Gasoline used to have sulfur-- that would combine with water vapor from running to make sulfuric acid.

Whatever it is, it'll come in through (filtered) air or (filtered) fuel, or a mix of the two. If the engine isn't running, it's not pumping air through itself, and not "polluting" the oil.

It's not like a bag of beef jerky, that can sit on the shelf for years, but has to be refrigerated once opened.

I operate a large number of engines. Some of which see infrequent use. Not once has a quality synthetic oil degraded over time. In fact, I've stopped running UOA tests, as they show nothing out of the ordinary, even after 5 years of infrequent use.

The one exception may be the use of leaded fuels, such as in aircraft engines. Where the massive quantities of lead salts will react with combustion generated water and cause corrosion over a short period of time.

I'd run a full two years on your Volt's engine oil without any worry what so ever. In fact, with relatively infrequent engine use, a quality oil will likely last MUCH longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino

Where are the other chemicals going to come in that do this chemical process?

Gasoline used to have sulfur-- that would combine with water vapor from running to make sulfuric acid.

Whatever it is, it'll come in through (filtered) air or (filtered) fuel, or a mix of the two. If the engine isn't running, it's not pumping air through itself, and not "polluting" the oil.

It's not like a bag of beef jerky, that can sit on the shelf for years, but has to be refrigerated once opened.

That's what I would think too But there are sources that state the oil need to be fresh that would seem reputable (or not idk):

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/things-to-know-about-oil-changes-for-your-car/

Amsoil FAQs see attached image:
[Linked Image]

Here, experts seem to think that it is a degradation process that continues regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I operate a large number of engines. Some of which see infrequent use. Not once has a quality synthetic oil degraded over time. In fact, I've stopped running UOA tests, as they show nothing out of the ordinary, even after 5 years of infrequent use.

The one exception may be the use of leaded fuels, such as in aircraft engines. Where the massive quantities of lead salts will react with combustion generated water and cause corrosion over a short period of time.

I'd run a full two years on your Volt's engine oil without any worry what so ever. In fact, with relatively infrequent engine use, a quality oil will likely last MUCH longer.

Makes sense, I was just going to do what the manual says which is the OLM or 2 year.

I just thought this was an interesting case study because the mileage/1 year thing is so widespread, and here is an engine that operates in what could be considered terrible conditions for oil, yet calls for the 2 year limit.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Use supertech, if money is a concern, and change once a year. You will minimize costs.

Now, you are reading GM-- a corporation known for bad decisions--recommendation. Read what Toyota says about the Prius and other hybrids. What Ford says, what other companies say. I think you will find a common ground.

What kind of advice is this? The only manufacturer you should take advice from is the one who produces the vehicle. Ford had absolutely no say in the way the Chevy volt was produced so you shouldn't ask Toyota how to maintain it. They may all make hybrids but that doesn't mean all the hybrids are the exact same...

for Ford's Hybrids, Esp the Plug-in Type. -

"Inspect the engine oil filter for signs of damage such as rust,
paint blistering, scratches or dents every one year or 10000 miles
(16000 kilometers). If any of these conditions are present, change the
filter then top-off the engine oil, if required. Do not reset your Intelligent
Oil-Life Monitor."

Full Hybrid oci is 10000mi/1yr,
Plug-in Hybrid oci 20000mi/2 yrs.

Ford also say you can go 2 years too. I would agree with follow the OLM/2 year rule too. The OLM would be designed around using a DEXOS 1 G2 oil. I would stick to a full synthetic DEXOS 1 G2 oil.

When I had a Volt I just changed it once a year with the cheapest Dexos compatible oil I could get. My thinking was the engine was seeing lots of cold starts where it would rev up right away. It would also never really get to run long enough to get the oil hot. Just food for thought.

So OLM or 2 year seems interesting to me because of the pervasiveness of the 1 year thing. In addition, it seems like there is a consensus that infrequent usage, short trips, and low temperatures are the reason it still needs to be changed. Those are literally the operating conditions for the Volt's ICE.
The OLM keeps track of how harsh the temperature profiles are. Let it do the work for you. ..... For example, if the engine runs only a little, then gets shut down for the night, without warming up all the way to prevent water & acid build-up, then the OLM detects this so you don't have to guess about it.
The GM OLM algorithm has been discussed on these threads quite a bit, and we know the basic algorithm guts.
Best to just follow the OLM instead of taking a wild guess at when to change it.
(You are right that oil chemically degrades when an engine never gets hot enough to keep fuel & water from blowby out of it, beginning a cycle of acids to sludge.)

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The OLM keeps track of how harsh the temperature profiles are. Let it do the work for you. ..... For example, if the engine runs only a little, then gets shut down for the night, without warming up all the way to prevent water & acid build-up, then the OLM detects this so you don't have to guess about it.
The GM OLM algorithm has been discussed on these threads quite a bit, and we know the basic algorithm guts.
Best to just follow the OLM instead of taking a wild guess at when to change it.
(You are right that oil chemically degrades when an engine never gets hot enough to keep fuel & water from blowby out of it, beginning a cycle of acids to sludge.)

I agree. From what I have read, the gm olm is a very good system. I plan to use it. My point was moreso does that mean the 1 year oci recommendation is really not a thing anymore and that in all reality it is safe to use oil with fewer than the oci mileage over the course of 2 years instead of one on other vehicles?

2018 Honda Clarity PHEV...Clarity runs maintenance mode for engine as well. Engine on PHEV essentially a generator.

Replaced Honda FF/OEM filter at ~1 year with Castrol Bio Synthetic 0w-20/Purolator Boss filter (15k)

Installed Fumoto valve. Will pull sample at 1 year for UOA to help decide on extended OCI.

Time will tell what an appropriate OCI is for the PHEV given my driving habits and "normal" driving conditions. UOA Instrumental in the equation.

Like some other posters have noted...hours runtime most appropriate usage metric IMHO.

The whole house generator I have calls for 2 year/200 hour OCI for "normal" conditions using 5w-30. Doubtful I would go 200 hours between oil change though...lol...more likely 100 - 125 hours max.

Interesting vehicle for sure.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

I agree. From what I have read, the gm olm is a very good system. I plan to use it. My point was moreso does that mean the 1 year oci recommendation is really not a thing anymore and that in all reality it is safe to use oil with fewer than the oci mileage over the course of 2 years instead of one on other vehicles?
While most oil companies still pretty much stick to one year, there have been many UOAs here in low use and they left the oil in a few years and the oil was still good. So yes, you can go longer than a year in some applications. If you use a DEXOS 1 oil, its good enough for 2 years. GM said so.

The "one year rule" is valid to some extent. If there are a number of engine shutdowns & cool-downs from short cool trips, then the effects tend to accumulate. As said above, a good OLM will track that.
Yet, the OLM's sofware algorithm will have a time limit in most cases, possibly put there to prevent some people from running their sump dry by never checking oil level. This has been a problem in fleets, I know, when they try to go for long drain intervals, and lots of people never check the oil level or stop by the dealership once a year.

If you are someone who checks oil level once a month (like us), and its a car that almost always takes trips of over 10 miles at a time when it is driven, I see no issue going 2 years on any engine under those circumstances.

Congrats on the new Volt! I have a first gen that we bought in 2014 and has been 100% perfect. It also has a two year oil change interval, which for us is about 2000-3000 engine driven miles (battery only miles are 7000 to 8000). I change it every year. It only holds four quarts and the filter is $5.00 from the dealer, so it's not a big expense. In just a year, the oil is pretty dark and smells a little like fuel. The trouble with Volt's that are run mostly on battery is the engine doesn't get used enough to ever get the oil up to operating temperature. I try to get it on the highway in "hold" mode every so often, to force the engine to run for 15 to 20 minutes which burns up old fuel and gets the oil nice and hot.

Your gen two Volt has a direct injected engine so it will be even more prone to fuel contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back