G37 needed a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been giving my 2012 g37x her annual detail the past week and while working with the trunk and doors open for several hours the battery went dead. I was able to recover it with a charger, but it is a 33 month old Interstate MTP-35 and seems untrustworthy now. I'm in a small town where the local places only carry the cheaper Interstate MT's and as you cannot ship a normal lead acid, it was Gel cell or AGM. So I bought an Autocraft Platinum group 35 AGM 650CCA 800CA with 3 year replacement shipped to my house for $148 (+22 core) (25% off coupon.going around per usual) from AAP. Was this a good or bad decision? An equivalent Northstar or Oddessy was twice the price and I really hated/my budget preferred I not be spending$300 on the battery for anything. Before anyone says it, yes the group 24f will fit correctly in the RWD G37's and is probably OEM spec on the Vert, it does not fit correctly in the G37x sedan or at very least in my g37x sedan, I've previously tried. I can return the new one to a store if worse came to worse, so I'd really appreciate any info or experience folks may have with these. Thanks.

No point really asking if you made a good or bad decision. Someone will tell you those batteries are perfectly good and someone else will tell you they're junk. Just be content with it and worst case, use the warranty if it comes to that. That's not a bad price at all for an AGM battery either.

Regarding 24F vs 35, I have an '08 G35X and the 24F definitely fits. I doubt there's any difference in the space in ours either. Just to be clear, mine has a 24F in it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
No point really asking if you made a good or bad decision. Someone will tell you those batteries are perfectly good and someone else will tell you they're junk. Just be content with it and worst case, use the warranty if it comes to that. That's not a bad price at all for an AGM battery either.

Regarding 24F vs 35, I have an '08 G35X and the 24F definitely fits. I doubt there's any difference in the space in ours either. Just to be clear, mine has a 24F in it.

Doesn't anybody believe in testing anymore? Just fully charge up the battery, determine the no load voltage on the battery and get it loaded tested. The results will tell you whether the battery is any good or not. No need to listen or ask anyone if it's good or not.

I know there is a difference between the clearance in your g35x as you have the VQ35HR which doesn't have VVEL and what's in the way/box are the fuses/relays for the VVEL system. At least that was the case on my car the last time I attempted to install the 24f. Not trying to argue the point either.

I just wanted to use what I knew would easily fit and work with the least grief and time for under $200. ,I'm traveling right now and largely lacking in tools and the local place wanted $150 for that Interstate MT, I thought that an AGM with 110+ more CCA had to be a better option then a budget interstate for the same money.

Shot be just fine... A JC AGM battery that is not super old aka like a yr old plus should be good. I am glad AAP now has a AGM group 35 battery available to buy.

Other things to possibly check on are the alternator and starter functioning ability...

Your battery should live a very long life. Put on a smart charger if not used for extended periods, keep that charge topped up, check the battery water in the summer and wintertime more frequently if it gets blazingly hot in the summer which it likely will and this will keep even a poor battery in good health. Battery needs to get discharged extensively, sit that way, get beat up so to speak to fail early, thats any battery

You mean the old Interstate? Under some circumstances you'd be right, It is functioning now but it is also showing signs of leakage around the base of the negative post and reduced capacity, it is from right after they got sold off, the quality isn't like the ones I had growing up. I cannot trust it because I travel places without cell or roadside service, and $150 is a small price to pay for piece of mind. There is also a chance that a weakened/reduced capacity battery can put additional strain on other parts of the charging and starting system or worse damage the ECM or TCM, Batteries for me are sorta like oil, fluids, belts and filters, relativity inexpensive components that if you use the cheapest possible option or they are defective or neglected have the potential to significantly reduce the service life of ,much more expensive systems..

If you are in need of reliability you should get a jump starter or booster pack or whatever you want to call it. Any battery can go bad at any time.

That said, AGM batteries are the way to go and you got a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I agree with you G37.... $140 is worth the peace of mind. Especially given your traveling areas...

Originally Posted by GZRider
You mean the old Interstate? Under some circumstances you'd be right, It is functioning now but it is also showing signs of leakage around the base of the negative post and reduced capacity, it is from right after they got sold off, the quality isn't like the ones I had growing up. I cannot trust it because I travel places without cell or roadside service, and $150 is a small price to pay for piece of mind. There is also a chance that a weakened/reduced capacity battery can put additional strain on other parts of the charging and starting system or worse damage the ECM or TCM, Batteries for me are sorta like oil, fluids, belts and filters, relativity inexpensive components that if you use the cheapest possible option or they are defective or neglected have the potential to significantly reduce the service life of ,much more expensive systems..

Yeah, Interstate is not a brand worth paying for anymore. They used to be mind-boggling tough.

I've been carrying a quality jump box with a built in compressor in all my vehicles for years now, but it's a good suggestion for anyone that travels in remote areas where roadside assistance isn't readily available or just doesn't like hunting for a gas station with a working tire air machine.

Exactly, I still have the Infiniti Elite Protection plan warranty on the car which has roadside assistance and towing which is all well and good in a city or suburban area. It isn't all that useful on a cold Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Oregon or Washington night lost on some rural county highway I don't know the name of, with no cell service, businesses or fellow travelers. I'd Rather not be $%#@% with my battery while trying to also watch my back for meth heads, mountain lions or Wendigo's. Besides It was a really good deal for an AGM in a group 35 with those specs a 3 year replacement warranty and free home shipping.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by GZRider

Yeah, Interstate is not a brand worth paying for anymore. They used to be mind-boggling tough.

Just remember that Interstate is a brand just like Diehard and other various names out there. There's just a few battery manufacturers out there, basically just 3 that makes various grades of batteries. Some lines will be better than others.

I received that AGM yesterday, marked as built 5/19 so it doesn't get much fresher then that, it's marked as US made and shipped from Kansas. I ordered it on a Friday and had it Tuesday, cannot ask for more then that, AAP and UPS did a bangup job. Still waiting on the new new AGM/Gel compatible charger coming tomorrow to top it off before I install it. I got some of those NOCO battery terminal protectors, I figure I will clean up the clamps with sandpaper and some baking soda/water paste, is it worth putting that protector spray on it too?

An AGM battery should not off gas hardly at all.... One of the big selling points is how clean the battery terminals stay.

A new battery is probably the right thing to do if it starts to get weak.

I personally don't like AGMs installed in non-AGM applications as the charging profile is different for those. Your G37's electrical system can't tell the difference and I think an aftermarket AGM is built to be a drop-in. When the car is built for an AGM or can be programmed for one, they work great. I was disappointed barely getting 4 years out of an Optima in a Prius. However, the OEM battery was a sealed flooded or EFB and the aftermarket pushes AGM(Optima or Deka).

But then again, countless millions of GM and American/Canadian-built Hondas/Toyotas came with sealed Delco Freedoms and they worked with out a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back