Thick vs Thin in suspension of contaminants ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been any studies of which is able to suspend more carbon etc ? When auto makers with both thin and thick recommendations State oil changes every 10000 miles they must be equal in carrying contaminants .

From what i've read on here, one of the challenges with low viscosity Diesel oils is making the oil capable of holding in suspension large amounts of soot without the oil becoming abrasive, it was a while ago and i don't have a link but i remember reading somethign along those lines.

Maybe the soot carrying capabilities aren't the same, but in 10K, 20K, 30K it doesn't matter.

Don't need a 1" diameter rope to tie up a 2lb dog. I've often wondered about this as well (the oil, not the dog)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Good question. Subscribed.

I can't believe I came up with a good one . Now a professional will come along and say stupid question ...¡

There was an article a few years ago that said thicker oils hold particles and protect engines from them better than thin,providing a better protective film or something. I just can't remember what article it was exactly.

what is thick and what it thin? Not that many years ago 30 and 20 weights were considered thin. Ask the filter manu's if their efficiency rating is dependant on oil weight, there ya go.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
low viscosity Diesel oils is making the oil capable of holding in suspension large amounts of soot without the oil becoming abrasive

If increased abrasion from the reduced film thickness is a concern, I imagine the answer to OP question is "just as good".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back