Vinyl Records: Rock n Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy discussing music. Mostly 50's-90's.

Any vinyl record / rock n roll memorabilia collectors out there?

What's your best find? Favorite album?

(Doesn't have to be rock n roll related, interested to hear from anyone!)

Sir Douglas Quintet- Mendocino (LP)

[Linked Image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbI8uVUFP4

(Yes, that is Hugh Hefner dancing in the tux)

Last edited:
I haven't gotten any special finds such as an old special edition ELVIS or Beatles LPs. But I have my whole collection on Craigslist of over 300(remaining) albums. Sold over 100 thus far.

Last edited:
My faves in my collection are my 1994 Weezer say it ain't so 10" limited edition single from the UK and the land before Time soundtrack. My next hunt is for an original 1996 Weezer Pinkerton album.

Last edited:
I used to buy boxes of 70s records in the 90s when I did a little college radio. Station was set up with turntables, CD players, tape decks. I wired up an 8 track player.

Invariably the boxes of records were left behind when a kid moved out of their parents house, and enough time had passed.

Also invariably came the worst, most annoying album of all time... Frampton Comes Alive.

Waaa waaa waaa whump.... that's alllll wwwwhwiiiteee. DOOOOOOOO YOOOOOOO FEEEEEWWWWLLLLL....

The 50's-60's and part of the 70's were fine for records themselves but into the latter 70's the quality of the records and the recordings themselves became horrible. A couple of the brands held up fine but it was a bit of a pain to first find a good record that wasn't warped right off the rack. The records were getting thinner and thinner. The other issue was the recording itself. Off key, and sloppily done. Once I found a good record I played it once to listen for any faults then played again to make a recording on cassette tape.

As turntables got better and better they started to show how poorly made these records were.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
Sir Douglas Quintet- Mendocino (LP)

[Linked Image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbI8uVUFP4

(Yes, that is Hugh Hefner dancing in the tux)

I had a bunch of Doug Sahm vinyl which I gave away--including this (1000 records donated). The late great Doug was one of my all time favorites-- especially the ol' Texas Tornadoes. And Augie Meyer and Flaco, great bands. They were playing one night in a bar in Brookings, SD and I passed probably cause I didn't want to pay the $1 cover charge. One of my regrets in old age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I got a lot of the 'Stones, Boston, and a little mix of others.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I got a lot of the 'Stones, Boston, and a little mix of others.

I love Boston! Wish they had hung around longer...

Originally Posted by PimTac
The 50's-60's and part of the 70's were fine for records themselves but into the latter 70's the quality of the records and the recordings themselves became horrible. A couple of the brands held up fine but it was a bit of a pain to first find a good record that wasn't warped right off the rack. The records were getting thinner and thinner. The other issue was the recording itself. Off key, and sloppily done. Once I found a good record I played it once to listen for any faults then played again to make a recording on cassette tape.

As turntables got better and better they started to show how poorly made these records were.

Interesting perception! I would have to disagree in some cases. I love Bon Scott era AC/DC. Some of their finest moments came in 77&78 with "Let there Be Rock" and "Powerage." After that, they become too mainstream sounding. Loved the raw sound of their early albums. That's said, "Back in Black"is a classic. (1980) At one point, maybe still is, was the best selling record worldwide second only to Jackson's "Thriller"

Originally Posted by E150GT
My faves in my collection are my 1994 Weezer say it ain't so 10" limited edition single from the UK and the land before Time soundtrack. My next hunt is for an original 1996 Weezer Pinkerton album.

Never in a million years would I expect to find someone who said this... I absolutely love Weezer's blue album and Pinkerton. Both in my all time top 10 favorites.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I haven't gotten any special finds such as an old special edition ELVIS or Beatles LPs. But I have my whole collection on Craigslist of over 300(remaining) albums. Sold over 100 thus far.

If you have any foreign presses, (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia ) let me know! I'm always on the hunt for foreign copies.

Originally Posted by Brojo
Originally Posted by PimTac

Interesting perception! I would have to disagree in some cases. I love Bon Scott era AC/DC. Some of their finest moments came in 77&78 with "Let there Be Rock" and "Powerage." After that, they become too mainstream sounding. Loved the raw sound of their early albums. That's said, "Back in Black"is a classic. (1980) At one point, maybe still is, was the best selling record worldwide second only to Jackson's "Thriller"

The music didn't get worse, it was the records themselves. Personally, somewhere in the mid 70's or so I started to dislike the newer music. Some groups still had good stuff. I'm stuck in the 50's and 60's you might say. I hated disco and most of everything that came after that.

Originally Posted by Brojo
Originally Posted by E150GT

Never in a million years would I expect to find someone who said this... I absolutely love Weezer's blue album and Pinkerton. Both in my all time top 10 favorites.

Yeah man. I like to look for blue/Pinkerton era singles and have a small collection of mostly CD's. Across the sea is my all time favorite of Weezer songs

I finally got my phono stage back last night from an old friend, so I've been listening to some vinyl today. Probably my rarest record is a double-LP UK pressing of LOAD by Metallica that I bought at a record store in Moncton NB.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back