Makita 4-Stroke Blower 1st Oil Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Makita BHX2500CA 4-stroke Blower

Hours: 3, max

Capacity: 2.7oz (0.08L) --> oil was checked before each run and remained at full --> no make-up oil

Oil: I don't recall this thing coming with oil, so let's assume this is GC 0W-30, which is what went back in.

Additional Info: After the 2nd tank of gas, she runs much better at idle. Especially while on the first tank, she wanted and did sometimes stall, but ran and continues to run great at WOT.

//

You can see how dark and sparkly the oil is in the first pic.

I had an old, weak magnet laying around in my junk drawer (OK, all of the drawers in my basement are junk drawers!) After the heavier stuff settled into the outer circumference of the take-out pan, I placed the magnet in the center and let it sit a couple of days. It's not easy to see, but all of the wiped-off gunk in the last picture is presumed to be solely ferrous material.

As an aside: I should have purchased a larger back-pack blower. This thing is great for moving loose, dry leaves, but it takes forever to pickup the heavier, wet leaves. I actually gave up on the blower after a while and went back to tried and true....raking.
It's not entirely the blowers fault. My son was with me and he wanted to see some bugs. I scraped away some leaves from where he was standing and he loved it as all of the critters scurried away. A good two dozen bugs kept scurrying back to the ever-diminishing pile, even to the last few dozen leaves - bugs are so dumb! lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had the same, underpowered blower. It ran great for many years but the carb blew a diaphragm or something. I gave it away. Underpowered for sure. Not heavy.
I replaced it with a Poulan Pro PPBV25 which is much more powerful. However, I had to order a special screwdriver set to adjust the carb on The Poulan Pro to get it to run great.

Old pic of my departed Makita.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the write-up. Well done. The dumb bugs were exhibiting a superior level of survival instincts, sensing and hiding form the solar radiation when uncovered. They'll be around when humans are long gone.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Only holding 2.7 ounces of oil a 5 gallon jug would last a long time! Thanks for the report. I have an MTD 4 stroke blower that I really like.

I've only got one partial quart left of my beloved GC 0W-30! I just used a quart and a bit to fill my Ariens snow-blower.

I was a bit surprised it held so little oil but it's a tiny, light machine.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I had the same, underpowered blower. It ran great for many years but the carb blew a diaphragm or something. I gave it away. Underpowered for sure. Not heavy.
I replaced it with a Poulan Pro PPBV25 which is much more powerful. However, I had to order a special screwdriver set to adjust the carb on The Poulan Pro to get it to run great.

Old pic of my departed Makita.

Maybe now that I've finally cleaned all of the junk from last fall in all of the large corners it'll be easier to use here and there, but I doubt I'll keep it long-term.
My next project will be clearing an old pathway around the garden and into the woods that I've got a man-sized pile of leaves to take care of.
With this thing, I bet it'll take me a couple of hours to blow all of the junk down the path and into the woods.

What kind of special screwdriver set did you need? Were they torx heads or something?

Was the carb not set correctly or just set to EPA standards that was the problem?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Thanks for the write-up. Well done. The dumb bugs were exhibiting a superior level of survival instincts, sensing and hiding form the solar radiation when uncovered. They'll be around when humans are long gone.
lol.gif

I'm new to home ownership, which sucks, because it requires a lot of purchases for my acre of yard, but it's also awesome, because it requires a lot of things I now get to tinker with. I'm not the most handy guy, but I can pull a carb apart and clean or replace it, sharpen a blade(s), replace stuff as needed. I just don't have the time now to tinker with ancient equipment, which means buying new, with a warranty, makes the most sense for me.

I'd recommend the echo pb-580t

Its pretty good.. not $500 blower good but a great value in the $300 range.

My dad has the next model up the pb-755? and its definitely the next step up in power(mph) and volume(cfm)

IIRC
the pb-755 blower runs ~$460 or $385 during sales events.
I got the pb-580t for 225+tax-- its normally around $300 or 329-20%($263) during their echo sale events.

My 25cc Echo handheld is CRAZY powerful - you'd never guess the engine was that small.

Their backpack blowers are 64cc, and are just insane.

I have a set similar to this, covers many carb screws.

https://www.amazon.com/HOOAI-Carburetor-Adjustment-Tool-Carburator/dp/B01MRSTFVI/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=13M3WZREP7FFG&keywords=carb+adjustment+tool+kit&qid=1557692537&s=gateway&sprefix=carb+a%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Thanks for the reply, guys! I've definitely got a lot to consider.

I think I'll follow Rand's recommendation and pickup something a lot more useful than what I have now, for a good price.
This year's mess is already cleaned up, so I've got some time.

When do these things usually go on sale? End or beginning of season?

We had a few of these where I work. Two were assumed junked after about 75 hours of use because it was thought the engines (25 or 27cc subaru/robin) were locked up. I went to disassemble it and found the screws that held the blower fan to crank had vibrated loose and grooved themselves into the blower housing until the engine wouldn't turn anymore. I tightened them up with some red loctite, reassembled it and it started right up and it ran good.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I think I'll follow Rand's recommendation and pickup something a lot more useful than what I have now, for a good price.

Depends on the brand but echo at a local dealer goes 20% 15% off based on location.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Promotions/One-Day-Sale

I also have a hitachi handheld blower.. I still use for fast jobs.. clearing off the sidewalk etc.

Edit: so this year the 1 day sale on echo gear is 15% off not 20%...

I've had good luck with end of year clearance stuff I find around Labor Day, before the snowblowers move in. At the big box stores, anyway.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by gathermewool

Depends on the brand but echo at a local dealer goes 20% 15% off based on location.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Promotions/One-Day-Sale

I also have a hitachi handheld blower.. I still use for fast jobs.. clearing off the sidewalk etc.

Edit: so this year the 1 day sale on echo gear is 15% off not 20%...

Nothing near me
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back