Do you trust people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by eljefino
I guess I do. We have a felon living a few houses up the road. His crimes are grifting and cons, credit card fraud. Probably also meth because he never sleeps, is banging up the road at all hours. We used to have his kid over for dinner before a relative took them away.

I trust that he has a philosophy of "don't poop where you live". IDK why, I'm probably naive. I've got a bunch of 20lb propane tanks in my unlocked wood shed, snow tires, piles of junk that would be attractive to the meth smoking population. But I haven't yet changed my lifestyle to accommodate any perceived fears.

I think that's what criminals really take away, your feeling of security. If you have to lock your gate constantly, you've been violated.

If I were you, I'd set up a game camera at your far gate to see how many people turn around.

In this county, you have to be careful with scrap. A few of my neighbors have had their scrap piles stolen. There's a lot of unemployed people willing to do whatever they can to get by.

Originally Posted by GeorgeKaplan
Respect and trust are both earned, not given.

Old saying, "Be polite, but always formulate a plan on how to kill everyone you meet".

On a side note, as someone who builds roads for a living, I have a couple thousand tips for your driveway grading! LOL! Looks good enough. Can't do much more with that tractor. 150 ton of spec crush concrete would do wonders.
Im trying to make the road road lean to the right.
It used to. The rain would run down the low side end make a gutter. A neighbor ( bless his pointed head) graded it smooth for me but made it level. Now the rain creates gutters across it.

I'm by no way a tractor guy! I spent 1/2 hour with penetrating spray getting the blade adjuster doo hockey loose so that one side was lower than the other so it would make the one side lower.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

You never mentioned what vehicle he had. Could have been full of trash and he was just planning on dumping it.

Early 2000's lowered Honda civic 4 door. I didn't see any trash in it.

I guess I do. We have a felon living a few houses up the road. His crimes are grifting and cons, credit card fraud. Probably also meth because he never sleeps, is banging up the road at all hours. We used to have his kid over for dinner before a relative took them away.

I trust that he has a philosophy of "don't poop where you live". IDK why, I'm probably naive. I've got a bunch of 20lb propane tanks in my unlocked wood shed, snow tires, piles of junk that would be attractive to the meth smoking population. But I haven't yet changed my lifestyle to accommodate any perceived fears.

I think that's what criminals really take away, your feeling of security. If you have to lock your gate constantly, you've been violated.

If I were you, I'd set up a game camera at your far gate to see how many people turn around.

Tons of people turn around where they should.its sandy there and I can easily see tracks in the sand.

Originally Posted by 4WD
The gates were open so those signs were not visible like on posts … both sides …

There are other signs at my first gate on poles. Not on the gate.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
My first answer would be no. However, I do tend to try to see the good in people and give some the benefit of the doubt that don't deserve it. I have to be careful to be realistic and remember that if someone seems suspicious, they probably are.

Same here.

[Linked Image]

I do not trust anybody at first.

Maybe you could ask your neighbors if they saw him or if they were looking for their son?

Did he know his own name?

Drive around your neighbors and see if you see his car?

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
No, I don't trust anyone.

Kind of an interesting problem.
There has to be a solution to keep most (honest) people off your road (driveway).

How does your road differ in material/construction than the main road ?

How far from the house is the second gate ?
I'd have a sign posted here saying, "one step further and you risk getting shot".

roads are all dirt. How about this sign I have?

IMG_20190512_073739.jpg

Originally Posted by Onetor
They would have been detained against their will until law enforcement arrived....Especially with your signs. It's not exactly open to the public....It's not about trust, it's survival!

I defer to the NSA's motto:

Chris..... If the No Trespassing gate was open and the guy rolled past the Beware of Dog closed gate, then I'm not sure how anyone could be ticketed for that.

You never mentioned what closed gate he rolled past. Also, I cannot read what your yellow sign states.

Last edited:
I would have a camera or two installed to watch the gate area and a couple around the house. I think I would be carrying from now on when doing grading on the driveway.

Yes. I trust people.

Until they give me a reason not to.

This guy gave you the reason not to in your first encounter. Drove past you. Lied.

Don't trust that guy...

The sign and the IR motion detector thingie are all I need to stay away, and I'm a reasonable person, so I conclude that reasonable people understand as well.

Sorry your general area of the desert are infested with criminal parasites.

I remember your thread from a few years back when you were looking at land and the whole inbred town warned you of spiders and snakes, and the well head was messed with so people could hook up their generators and steal the ground water.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
I would have a camera or two installed to watch the gate area and a couple around the house. I think I would be carrying from now on when doing grading on the driveway.

I'm in California. I can't legally carry even on my property!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Also, I cannot read what your yellow sign states.

Its not that I dont want visitors. I have no problem with invited guests,the Edison guy doing whatever they do etc. If someone here wants to visit send me a pm and I will have lunch ready!

IMG_20190427_152105.jpg

The sign and the IR motion detector thingie are all I need to stay away, and I'm a reasonable person, so I conclude that reasonable people understand as well.

Sorry your general area of the desert are infested with criminal parasites.

I remember your thread from a few years back when you were looking at land and the whole inbred town warned you of spiders and snakes, and the well head was messed with so people could hook up their generators and steal the ground water.

Ya that was on el mirage,ca

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

Oh wow, I thought you could carry on your own property in Ca. Sounds almost as bad as up here! Definitely go for cameras though.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Chris142

Are you allowed to carry a shotgun on the tractor in case of mean snakes, rabid coyotes, etc?

No

Yes you can, as long as you are on your property or residence, just can't open carry in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back