Do you trust people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've had a number of uninvited visitors according to previous threads. What is the possibility that one of your neighbors is into illicit activities? Your place keeps getting mistaken.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You've had a number of uninvited visitors according to previous threads. What is the possibility that one of your neighbors is into illicit activities? Your place keeps getting mistaken.

That's the only thing that makes sense here.

Keep the gate locked and put up a large sign with red letters reading "Security zone. No admittance. Armed guards on patrol."

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I grew up in Gary, Indiana, so... NO. I now live out in the Middle of Nowhere, Indiana, with really only farmers and kids (who seem to do heroin, meth, and other hard drugs at an alarming rate), corn & soybeans... but don't ferget chikins n turkeys- and my wife (who is a lifetime local) laughed at me for probably the first 3 years we were together because I STILL lock my car in the driveway, lock the front door, etc.

I've worked too hard to make it easy from some jackwagon to waltz in and back out with MY stuff in his arms. OP in your case, I likely would have fired a warning shot across his hood and gone from there. Nice tractor, this is what I get to look forward to every summer now... I never knew what a hit n' miss was til I moved here...
lol.gif

Gary, ‘nuff said. I grew up in a real small town, even my parents always locked the house, the garage, and cars even in the locked garage. I read about all these "break ins" into people's cars, most of the time they were simply unlocked. My wife makes fun of me too lol

Hit n' miss shows are amazing though, I'm going to some this summer!

But no, I don't even like people using my driveway to turn around in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I grew up in Gary, Indiana, so... NO. I now live out in the Middle of Nowhere, Indiana, with really only farmers and kids (who seem to do heroin, meth, and other hard drugs at an alarming rate), corn & soybeans... but don't ferget chikins n turkeys- and my wife (who is a lifetime local) laughed at me for probably the first 3 years we were together because I STILL lock my car in the driveway, lock the front door, etc.

I've worked too hard to make it easy from some jackwagon to waltz in and back out with MY stuff in his arms. OP in your case, I likely would have fired a warning shot across his hood and gone from there. Nice tractor, this is what I get to look forward to every summer now... I never knew what a hit n' miss was til I moved here...
lol.gif

Gary, ‘nuff said. I grew up in a real small town, even my parents always locked the house, the garage, and cars even in the locked garage. I read about all these "break ins" into people's cars, most of the time they were simply unlocked. My wife makes fun of me too lol

Hit n' miss shows are amazing though, I'm going to some this summer!

But no, I don't even like people using my driveway to turn around in.

Most thieves aren't that smart and are pretty lazy, they're looking for the unlocked car, open garage, etc.

In the past I have always trusted most people in the times we live now it's getting real hard to trust anyone

I can't get over how beautiful your property is. Dog included.

Him looking for his mom's place is an unlikely story... If you can genuinely say you know everyone around you, but didn't recognize the name, then yes I'd say he's up to no good. There is a slight chance he was just site seeing and became lost and said the first excuse that he thought up. Up front honesty would have definitely helped the situation. If I lived out that way I'd definitely be cruising the back roads that could very well end up in someones yard.

You never mentioned what vehicle he had. Could have been full of trash and he was just planning on dumping it.

Respect and trust are both earned, not given.

Old saying, "Be polite, but always formulate a plan on how to kill everyone you meet".

On a side note, as someone who builds roads for a living, I have a couple thousand tips for your driveway grading! LOL! Looks good enough. Can't do much more with that tractor. 150 ton of spec crush concrete would do wonders.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Chris142
He claimed to be looking for his moms house. Didn't know her name.

Red threat warning light goes off right there. Hope you take self defense seriously out where you live.

Maybe orphaned at birth or given up for adoption.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I was working on my road this evening. Guy rolls up. Past my first gate. I was in the road with the tractor so he zips around me. Road dead ends into my house. I gave chase and asked him what he was doing.

He claimed to be looking for his moms house. Didn't know her name.

My wife thinks I jump to conclusion too fast. I think anyone that passes all the no trespassing signs is up to no good. I had both gates open because I was working on the road.

I gave him an earfull and followed him out. Fortunately the case has triple drive and will go about 40 mph if I want to. No problem keeping up with him lol.

Got any Ford New Holland out there?

I had someone roll up next to me on my walk. Coming opposite direction. Slows up, passenger window rolled down. This to me says the start of an Armed Robbery. I had my headhones on so I just looked and kept moving. If I do not initiate the contact then you can keep on moving.

I guess I do. We have a felon living a few houses up the road. His crimes are grifting and cons, credit card fraud. Probably also meth because he never sleeps, is banging up the road at all hours. We used to have his kid over for dinner before a relative took them away.

I trust that he has a philosophy of "don't poop where you live". IDK why, I'm probably naive. I've got a bunch of 20lb propane tanks in my unlocked wood shed, snow tires, piles of junk that would be attractive to the meth smoking population. But I haven't yet changed my lifestyle to accommodate any perceived fears.

I think that's what criminals really take away, your feeling of security. If you have to lock your gate constantly, you've been violated.

If I were you, I'd set up a game camera at your far gate to see how many people turn around.

Originally Posted by CT8
I trust very few people.

That's basically what got me on this site and DIY fluid service …
(lubricant failure, lost rear end, ain't my problem) …

Ever think about getting a gate that works with a wireless remote control?
I've got friends that have them that swing open and my BIL also has one that is on rollers and slides sideways to open.
But getting back to your original question: No. I don't trust strangers. I've had two vehicles of mine that "drove" off (vehicles did not run, BTW) and I had to use my money to get them back even though the thief was caught.

No, I don't trust anyone.

Kind of an interesting problem.
There has to be a solution to keep most (honest) people off your road (driveway).

How does your road differ in material/construction than the main road ?
If people are on your road, could they think their just on an old abandoned road ?
Even with the No Trespassing signs, some (honest) people just like to explore (out of curiosity)

I believe you have two locked gates.
Do the signs at first gate say it's residential property ?
That would turn me around if I was just exploring.

How far from the house is the second gate ?
I'd have a sign posted here saying, "one step further and you risk getting shot".

I would like to see a satellite image of your property (non identifiable).

I also like the idea of a Game Camera so you could see if anyone turns around and the time of day.

Last edited:
No. The less I have to do with other people the better.

Might want to add signs that state the property is under video surveillance. Add real or fake cameras.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Might want to add signs that state the property is under video surveillance. Add real or fake cameras.

Not to criticize but, like Area 51 in Roswell N.M. ? / the more signs you have, the more people want to see what's back there.
People need to know their on residential property, not an old abandoned road.

Last edited:
The gates were open so those signs were not visible like on posts … both sides …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back