Hyundai SP4-M - Help, and where to buy cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am approaching 80K on my '16 Elantra. I want to do a drain and fill of the ATF and will also be doing a coolant flush with the gallon of Pentofrost A2 I got for $10 (thanks VatoZone!).

First off, how many quarts will I need for a drain and fill (especially if I'm planning on letting it drain overnight)? I'm betting 4, but leaning toward 5 out of caution (although I'd rather not have a full quart leftover...).

Second, I can't believe how expensive this fluid is
crazy2.gif
. I don't know of any mainstream brands (Valvoline, Castrol, etc.) meeting this spec. I do not want to use a 'universal' ATF. Can anyone point me in the right direction of an approved alternative fluid, or preferably a cheap place to buy legit SP4-M? Out of 4 local dealers, the cheapest price was $18.45/qt
shocked2.gif
. One wanted $30.95/qt
smirk2.gif
. The cheapest place I found so far online was group1autoparts.com. Including shipping, 4 will cost me $63.62 or 5 will cost $78.53. Surely there's something/someplace cheaper out there? I am willing to spend that much if necessary, but who doesn't like to save a buck or two? After all, that's another quart or two of oil that could be bought!

Thanks in advance!

I used valvoline max life, its sp-IV. Granted it is a multi spec fluid. Are you changing it yourself. Are you familiar with how to change it on this car?

Last edited:
Yep just use Maxlife or castrols Synthetic fluid.

Maxlife you can get a gallon at walmart for $18 and AZ/advance will have castrol onsale for $5 a qt from time to time.

And the coolant is good till 100k. So skip that unless you are at 100k+.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Yep just use Maxlife or castrols Synthetic fluid.

Maxlife you can get a gallon at walmart for $18 and AZ/advance will have castrol onsale for $5 a qt from time to time.

+1, specifically this if you go with Castrol: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/09DFBB064CCF193E80257BA5006EB93F/$File/BPXE-99LBRT.pdf

So if you want the cheapest factory SP4-M, go to a Kia dealership in your local area. Same stuff and a couple bucks cheaper.

Local KIA dealer wanted $13.xx a quart for SP4-M and they only had 4 qts on the shelf. I used Maxlife ATF in our 16 KIA. Drain and fill used about 4.25 qts. Had to take out air filter box to get to the fill port, It's a plastic bolt on top of the trans. 24mm wrench to take out drain bolt, take out the plastic fill inspection plug by hand, careful of the black rubber washer on that inspection plug. Filled it back up w 4 qts than started motor, had the car on 4 2x4's to raise it up and keep it level. Wait until the cooling fans kick on to get to proper temp, did this before w an ir thermometer and fans kicked on right at the correct temp so I don't bother w temp gun anymore. Needed to add .25 qts or so to get a small trickle out of the inspection hole, all done! Very easy except for removing the air box which still isn't too bad. Also had to remove lower plastic shield. The trans shifts great w Maxlife and after the second drain and fill the slight shift flare at lower speeds is gone.

It looks like any ATF that meets Dexron VI, Mercon LV, and similar lower modern lower viscosity requirements should do the trick.

Given the cost of transmissions, I always go with a full synthetic, and I see Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP, Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF, Red Line, Amsoil, and a number of others are full synthetics.

Yea, it seems that more and more of the multi vehicle ATFs have SP4-M listed: https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/72658e1b-1c06-4c8d-a453-9ad8edafeeaa.pdf ...on sale at Pep Boys for $3.90 now.

I was a staunch believer of only using the OEM product until I encountered my Patriot with the Hyundai 6F24 tranny. After reading so many good experiences here and (I think) an endorsement by Molakule, I wavered and installed a multi use product. Time will tell, but everything is fine at 26K miles later. The Jeep dealer in Fowlerville, MI uses Valvolene Max Life even for vehicles still under warranty. Nearly every other dealer in my region uses BG products, again even during warranty period.

Originally Posted by Mainia
So if you want the cheapest factory SP4-M, go to a Kia dealership in your local area. Same stuff and a couple bucks cheaper.

This. And it is the correct fluid. DO NOT use anything other than SP4-m (SPiv-M). Other fluids, such as Dex iV and such, are not compatible! Valvoline max life will work, but if your by a KIA dealer, why not? Besides, the only recommendation for VML for use in Hyundai Transmissions is VML itself. States "recommended for use", not "direct replacement for". It will work, but I have used both ad there is a difference in shift quality.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Are you changing it yourself. Are you familiar with how to change it on this car?
Yes. And no. But I'm just going with common sense. Use the correct spec fluid, remove fill plug first, then drain plug, measure every drop that pours out, refill with the exact same amount (or if unsure, a hair less is better). Can't go wrong.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Sure, but for $11 ($10 for the coolant which is already paid for and <$1 for a gallon of distilled), I'll change it early and rest easy.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Yea, it seems that more and more of the multi vehicle ATFs have SP4-M listed: https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/72658e1b-1c06-4c8d-a453-9ad8edafeeaa.pdf ...on sale at Pep Boys for $3.90 now.

I was a staunch believer of only using the OEM product until I encountered my Patriot with the Hyundai 6F24 tranny. After reading so many good experiences here and (I think) an endorsement by Molakule, I wavered and installed a multi use product. Time will tell, but everything is fine at 26K miles later. The Jeep dealer in Fowlerville, MI uses Valvolene Max Life even for vehicles still under warranty. Nearly every other dealer in my region uses BG products, again even during warranty period.
But I love how in the link it says Hyundai SP-IV/SP4-M. That means it's good for both...

Hyundai made two different specs for a reason.
smirk2.gif

This is why I don't use multi-vehicle ATF.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by spasm3
Are you changing it yourself. Are you familiar with how to change it on this car?
Yes. And no. But I'm just going with common sense. Use the correct spec fluid, remove fill plug first, then drain plug, measure every drop that pours out, refill with the exact same amount (or if unsure, a hair less is better). Can't go wrong.
21.gif

This will not ensure the level is proper. I have seen a few come from the factory low on fluid. poor mans way:

1. Get 4 jackstands (or borrow your buddys lift)
2. Drain from teh bottom plug
3. Reinstall plug, go to top of tranny and look under air cleaner area for black hex shaped plug with square hole.
4. Unscrew this with a ratchet & extension
5. using a funnel with a long neck, pour (very slowly!!) the measured amount you took out. reinstall plug.
6. Drop down, and go drive car a few blocks until the engine is nice and warm.
7. Jack up car on all 4 jackstands where it is level (you can jack up the whole side of the car easily. I do it all the time, install 2 stands, go to other side)
8. Now that vehicle is on jacks, safely and sturdy, start engine.
9. Now, (with engine running, in park) on the side of the tranny pan, there is another black circular plug.remove it, it only turns about 1/2 a turn before it comes out.
10. If tranny fluid slowly comes out, your tranny is full. Reinstall plug and down jack.
11. If it does not come out, remove upper plug, install funnel, slowly pour in tranny fluid until it starts to pour out the pan plug. Install both plugs, down jack. Drive happy.

Here is the procedure i used. The fluid will go in very slowly, as its a sealed system. Some will leak out around where the funnel fits in. So just measuring and adding the same will not do it. You will need to check via the plug.

Also The Critic told me that if you loosen the upper trans line on the radiator, the trans will accept fluid faster as it can let air out. I have not tried it yet but will on my next change. I do trust The Critic on this.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2...w-change-elantra-transmission-fluid.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back