Updating Garmin GPS with Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sierra048
Well, I've got good news, and bad news. I spent the time replicating my failed efforts on the Acer onto the HP. Although a painfully slow process, I actually made it through the Windows install process and ended up with a usable version of Windows 10.
banana2.gif
Excited, and with a sense of accomplishment, I wanted to try and connect our new Garmin GPS unit to see if the "Garmin Express" software needed for updates would download and work. The software downloaded fine and opened up when selected. I hooked our unit up, and nothing happened. When my neighbor helped me out this past Sunday, as soon as it was hooked up via a USB port with the software running, it was recognized almost immediately and the updates began automatically. This is what I was hoping. And it didn't happen. For some reason either Windows, or Virtualbox, is not seeing/connecting with my USB port/s. I will need for this to happen as it's the only way to get our updates.

I read all of the posts that followed my last one. I get the feeling you are actually addressing my problem but I'm not sure what you're saying. That's my problem, not yours. So, having said that, with your knowledge and expertise, is there a simple fix for allowing Windows 10 via Virtualbox to recognize and make functional my USB ports. Running Windows In Virtualbox, it sees the virtual 50GB disk that was made during the installation of Virtualbox, and also sees the machine's CD drive. Just no USB ports. I don't understand why it would see the CD drive and not the USB ports.
21.gif
I would hate to get this far along in my quest, only to be thwarted by something that might be a simple fix with some guidance. Could it just be the need to make a simple settings change? Thanks for getting me this far.

You need to allow the Virtual Machine to "see" the USB, which by default, it doesn't. On the menu you should be able to select the Garmin (it may not be identified as a Garmin, simply a USB storage device) and connect it to the VM. That will get you where you need to be.

Rather than try and explain it, watch the first 20 seconds of this video. If everything is installed correctly, that little list that he brings up that is empty will have your Garmin in it:

Overkill,

I've seen this page 50 times now and that box is completely empty. No Garmin choice. I've read some tutorials that say I must join a "vboxusers" group. Do you know what they are talking about? Every Youtube video I've seen that might help are lacking a voice narrative of what's happening and just showing steps how to do it. Problem is they assume that the viewer is a computer whiz and should be able to follow along without any problem. Even the articles I have found so far are assuming a lot as well. So in summation, I can see the screen you referenced. It's just not populated with anything. So I'm guessing getting my Garmin to show up there is the key and I've had no luck doing that. I just need the steps necessary to get this done. Your help is very much appreciated.

Overkill,

I've seen this page 50 times now and that box is completely empty. No Garmin choice. I've read some tutorials that say I must join a "vboxusers" group. Do you know what they are talking about? Every Youtube video I've seen that might help are lacking a voice narrative of what's happening and just showing steps how to do it. Problem is they assume that the viewer is a computer whiz and should be able to follow along without any problem. Even the articles I have found so far are assuming a lot as well. So in summation, I can see the screen you referenced. It's just not populated with anything. So I'm guessing getting my Garmin to show up there is the key and I've had no luck doing that. I just need the steps necessary to get this done. Your help is very much appreciated.

Do you have the Extension Pack installed?

Also, another video, this one walks you through the Extension Pack install, the supporting libraries, and adding your user to the Virtualbox user group:

Overkill,

Yes, the extension pack was installed.

After my earlier post this morning, I decided to try one last time to find some help via articles and Youtube. I found this Youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIyiXW1h2Ss. It was so simple, and actual narrative along with the video, I thought there was no way it would work for me. So I followed his simple instructions and it worked like a charm. I couldn't believe it. I was able to get Garmin Express, via Windows 10, in Virtualbox to connect to my unit and actually download a software update that wasn't installed last Sunday. Some of the prior articles and videos I had watched earlier were kind of dated, some as old as eight years. When I installed Virtualbox, I'm assuming I installed the most up-to-date version along with the extension pack from the software manager in Linux Mint. Maybe they made some improvements to the software that made it just this easy to do. There were certainly a lot of older articles and videos on this very issue. IDK. You might have a better idea than me. Anyhow, it's working now and I'm ecstatic. Wished I'd have found that video a lot sooner since it was that simple and would have saved a lot of frustration.

Thank you, and all who tried to help me, through this endeavor. BITOG is the best. Blessings to you and all.

Mike

Good show! You claim not to be a techie, but you powered through it nicely. I'd have been stubborn and done things the hard way with a dual boot. You learned the easier, more modern method.

Originally Posted by Garak
Good show! You claim not to be a techie, but you powered through it nicely. I'd have been stubborn and done things the hard way with a dual boot. You learned the easier, more modern method.

The furthest thing possible from being a techie Garak. The only reason I got interested in Linux Mint was because of members like you and Overkill. Don't know if you remember my journey in the beginning trying to dual boot Mint. That thread went on for a while as I was trying to learn what BIOS was, what I needed to do to change it, and booting from a USB thumb drive that had an ISO file on it.
crazy2.gif
I had never heard of such things before. I did it as a challenge to myself to try and learn something new, and also the fact I just didn't care for Windows even as a clueless novice. Your encouragement, and patience, was the deciding factor in pushing me over the edge to go exclusively with Linux Mint and get rid of Windows altogether. I have never regretted that decision. Had it not been for the GPS update requirement of needing Windows in some form, which fortunately Virtualbox provided me with, Windows would still not be welcome on any of my computers.

For a novice users (me included) ubuntu/kubuntu version is more appropriate then Mint etc...

Even support is better...and more widespread...

Last edited:
Had it not been for the GPS update requirement of needing Windows in some form, which fortunately Virtualbox provided me with, Windows would still not be welcome on any of my computers.

You pulled through and learned something new where I would have been banging my head to force the update through Linux or insist upon dual boot.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
For a novice users (me included) ubuntu/kubuntu version is more appropriate then Mint etc...

I wouldn't agree. Mint has more codecs and other little goodies installed by default, which keeps novices from having to hunt all those things down. As for the Mint forums, the support and expertise isn't as good there. However, most solutions that will work in Ubuntu will work in Mint, since the Mint specific issues are fairly rare.

I'm as big a fan of BITOG as the next member, but it seems like the VirtualBox user forums would have been a better place to get assistance with the problems encountered here.

Just a thought for next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back