2gr-fe oil change, forgot to install the oil filter, drain or leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time it happened to me, after I buttoned it all up I spotted the brand new filter right next to me, flashy yellow, neat and clean. Facepalm! Anyway, too late to start all over again, cause the other car was quietly queued up for the operation, started the engine to check for leaks and it's all good. 2013 build, 62200kms done, runs really well and doesn't burn any oil between changes. Just that now it's got no filter in the housing
frown.gif

Worth running the car for this OCI without filter? Or better to dump the oil, install the filter and refill? Every time I installed the filter the housing was spotless, other than the old oil nothing else, no metal shavings, nothing. What do youse suggest?

I'd install the filter. The oil can stay. Run the engine after the install, check the level and top up if needed.

If I read this right, you removed the old filter, but did not install the new before screwing on the filter housing?

You are going to want to add an oil filter. No need to drain anything.. Remove the housing, add the filter, and top off as needed.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
If I read this right, you removed the old filter, but did not install the new before screwing on the filter housing?

You are going to want to add an oil filter. No need to drain anything.. Remove the housing, add the filter, and top off as needed.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd install the filter. The oil can stay. Run the engine after the install, check the level and top up if needed.

This, just add the filter, no need to dump the oil.

Last edited:
Yes, all correct above. On a typical filter with an anti drain valve, when you pull the filter off, a small amount of oil cascades out. It seems like a lot but is usually less than 1/2 a cup. Make sure you have your oil pan positioned below the filter to catch the oil. Put on the new filter. Start the car. Check the oil and top up. Usually a cup of oil will do it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
What's a 2gr-fe?

Toyota 3.5L v6.

Inferior to the 1gr-fe in the second gen Tacoma
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BLND1
What's a 2gr-fe?

Toyota 3.5L v6.

wink.gif

Although nowhere near as crappy as the transmission it is attached to
smile.gif

What's a 2gr-fe?

Toyota 3.5L v6.

wink.gif

What is your experience with this engine?
Have you PERSONALLY experience catastrophic engine failure?

Originally Posted by JMJNet
What's a 2gr-fe?

Toyota 3.5L v6.

wink.gif

What is your experience with this engine?
Have you PERSONALLY experience catastrophic engine failure?

LOL - what?

Talk about out - of - left - field.

The question was "what is a 2gr-fe?"

Hence the response of "3.5l Toyota v6."

Did you miss the winky face after the "inferior" comment? I own a 2nd gen Tacoma (1gr-fe) hence my little dig at the more advanced 2gr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back