MOOG's complete wheel-bearing-hub-KNUCKLE assembly. LABOR SAVINGS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LINK: https://www.moogparts.com/content/d...lete%20Knuckle%20Assembly%20Bulletin.pdf

I really love this idea: it's TWICE the cost of the hub assembly (and 4x the cost of the wheeling bearings alone)

You'll still have to remove the ball joint and the tie-rod to install this but that's a much easier job than removing the hub assembly and/or having the wheel bearings pressed.

I think for the DIY'er with a limited set of tools and/or no garage, this is perfect.

Cool. It seems as though these new "whole assemblies" are similar to the shock/strut companies "strut/spring assembly" where everything is already included since you have to remove all that you mentioned ANYWAY.

However, my concern is where did they cut the corner(s) in quality/quality of materials the way the whole strut/spring assembly's did. Sure, they've made it easier and way more time saving to install but, we may have to do the job again sooner than we'd like.

And from the PDF link, it seems as though the application list is limited yet. Maybe if the product takes off, they'll add more.

IDK, time will tell.

Last edited:
There is no way in (the place that is hot with fire and el diablo) I would replace a perfectly good factory knuckle with this aftermarket junk...

Replace my US made knuckle with a cheap butt chong wang doo pot metal thing..

How much time would this save? The ball joints and tie rod ends would get disturbed and possibly need replaced too. Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Last edited:
I would have bought one of these in a heartbeat if they made them for Subaru. No fighting with rusted in place pinch bolts and ball joints. Would have saved me hours of time. I bought a used knuckle with the ball joint removed and then replace the bearing, hub, seals, and ball joint instead of hoping for the best out used parts.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
There is no way in (the place that is hot with fire and el diablo) I would replace a perfectly good factory knuckle with this aftermarket junk...

Depending on the app, your alignment stays the same (in theory) with your old knuckle, while the new one is an unknown.

I can see this making a killing for the body shops that would normally piece out the job for a new spindle, hub, bearing, etc from accident damage, but for repair places like mine im still going to sell just the bearing thats needed, instead of losing the job to an expensive knuckle, hub, shield and bearing. Especially since i have all of the on car tools to press the bearings in and out.

Originally Posted by Audios
I can see this making a killing for the body shops that would normally piece out the job for a new spindle, hub, bearing, etc from accident damage, but for repair places like mine im still going to sell just the bearing thats needed, instead of losing the job to an expensive knuckle, hub, shield and bearing. Especially since i have all of the on car tools to press the bearings in and out.
The Astro FWD bearing press is $75, the SKF bearing kit is $40 and the Moog knuckle is $190 for my car. It doesn't take that long to press the bearing out.

If you buy a press, go for the 20 ton. I have a 12 and if you have a bearing that is really worn and got hot like i did, 12 ton barely pushed it out. I put my new bearings in the freezer overnight and they seem to press in much easier.

They use National bearings, so at least it's a decent bearing
smile.gif

I wish there were more hub/bearing assemblies for the front axles. Most of them seem to only be made for the rear.

One weird thing I found in Moog's catalog. The 2003-2008 Matrix and Vibe have different part numbers
crazy2.gif

On some of the volkswagen applications once you press out the hub getting the bearing out of the housing is a black art, not a press out situation. I could see this assembly saving significant time.

I wish that Ford/Motorcraft offered loaded knuckles/uprights for my car, since in order to use the aftermarket suspension I want to, I will need to change back to the BASE, naturally aspirated (and 1.0 EcoBoost) model Fiesta's front knuckles.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I wish there were more hub/bearing assemblies for the front axles. Most of them seem to only be made for the rear.

One weird thing I found in Moog's catalog. The 2003-2008 Matrix and Vibe have different part numbers
crazy2.gif

Yes the Matrix and the Corolla are significantly-enough different.... the drum brakes have different springs too. The struts are also different, and among other things.

Based on all the cars listed you can see which ones have a lot of failures. I had to do the wheel bearing on my 98 Sienna twice. First time was a royal pain getting that bearing out.

As others have mentioned they are probably using crappy metal in the knuckle assemblies.

Originally Posted by lizpat
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

crazy2.gif

Yes the Matrix and the Corolla are significantly-enough different.... the drum brakes have different springs too. The struts are also different, and among other things.

Yes, I know the Matrix and Corolla are different

But the Vibe is the same as the Matrix!

Originally Posted by JC1
Based on all the cars listed you can see which ones have a lot of failures. I had to do the wheel bearing on my 98 Sienna twice. First time was a royal pain getting that bearing out.

As others have mentioned they are probably using crappy metal in the knuckle assemblies.

I wouldn't be quick to condemn them, I have use some made in China VW hubs along with F.A.G bearings also made in China and had zero issues in 4 years and 50K so they cant be all that bad. The hub alone was $160 cheaper than OE and with a dial indicator was as true as the OE. It may well be a crap shoot but they may be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back