[Linked Image]

Bottom End

[Linked Image]

Can see the bottom of a piston

[Linked Image]

Note the pickup screen

[Linked Image]

The oil pan

On almost exclusively Mobil Oil. Predominantly Mobil 1 and some intervals as long as 12,000.

Looks really good. I read some oci as long as 12k. What was your average oci?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd sell it. LOL j/k.

Mobil 1 did a great job, as expected. Thanks for posting.

I actually might sell it, we are talking about replacing it with a new car. But not because the engine is dirty
lol.gif
grin2.gif

You're welcome of course.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Hard to beat that.... Awesome indeed.

Yeah, I was expecting it to look good and wasn't disappointed.

The factory repair manual oil pan removal procedure was disappointing though: "remove oil pan bolts, remove oil pan" Ummm really?, I think I had that part. What about this big aluminum brace thingy, and the shifter cable, and dust shield .... and and and...

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Looks really good. I read some oci as long as 12k. What was your average oci?

I wasn't always the best about keeping records and I don't remember exactly when I went to M1 from Clean 5000 but it was probably less than 35,000. A cursory scan of my UOA back to about 85,000 would put the average at roughly 8,000 I would say.

That is 12,251 oil hanging off of it in the pictures.

As long as the oil pickup screen is clean, and the piston rings are free, an engine will run at spec.
A little varnish doesn't hurt. The oil galleys see flow and tend to stay free of varnish.

It looks good, but this kinda stacked the deck in favor of whatever oil you would have used... I don't think I've seen an "ugly" Civic engine regardless of the oil used. Just a question... what did you pull the V/C and oil pan for? Just S&G or was there a repair needed?

Looks great. I hope my Civic will make it up to the same mileage. I use Mobil 1 in mine most of the time unless I go on the dark side and find a good deal on another synthetic.

Looks nice, I really wouldn't expect anything less. I think most engines I've had opened up look good when running a synthetic and keeping the intervals reasonable. I did have a Honda 3.5 opened recently and it looked awful, but that's probably because the water pump seized...who knows how hot it actually got. But the rings were cooked with soot. The undersides of the pistons were covered in carbon deposits, tops too. The upper end was varnished pretty good. Oil pan area was even a little dirty. But usually with synthetic they're pretty clean

I think driving conditions such as cold starts and length of run time has more to do with engine cleanliness than choice of oil. This is a mighty clean engine.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
It looks good, but this kinda stacked the deck in favor of whatever oil you would have used... I don't think I've seen an "ugly" Civic engine regardless of the oil used. Just a question... what did you pull the V/C and oil pan for? Just S&G or was there a repair needed?

There are some ugly ones on youtube...
wink.gif

Timing belt, oil pump seal (common problem) and associated major service...

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Looks great. I hope my Civic will make it up to the same mileage. I used Mobil 1 in mine most of the time.

I'm sure it probably will...

Originally Posted by sw99
Nice looking engine there!

Thank You

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Nice and Good - - but piston ring lands and VTEC passages and screens and cam and bearing wear are what is important ....

No VTEC on D17A1

I'm confined the rings are fine

Originally Posted by Railrust
Looks nice, I really wouldn't expect anything less. I think most engines I've had opened up look good when running a synthetic and keeping the intervals reasonable. I did have a Honda 3.5 opened recently and it looked awful, but that's probably because the water pump seized...who knows how hot it actually got. But the rings were cooked with soot. The undersides of the pistons were covered in carbon deposits, tops too. The upper end was varnished pretty good. Oil pan area was even a little dirty. But usually with synthetic they're pretty clean

J35 with variable displacement? I think all those pretty much look awful
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Thanks for the post. We don't get to see many engines with almost 200,000 miles opened up.
laugh.gif

You're welcome, figured if I was there I should snap some pictures.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Mobil1 did great!

Modern synthetics are fantastic (any of them...)

True I expect and quality synthetic would do as well if maintenance paid attention to.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
I think driving conditions such as cold starts and length of run time has more to do with engine cleanliness than choice of oil. This is a mighty clean engine.

I thought it was pretty dang clean. It has pretty varied conditions, though its uncommon for it to get really cold for long here.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
This really is a pretty clean engine. But did I miss it? Why did you pull it apart just to see how clean it was or was there another reason?

See above, Timing belt and oil pump o-ring.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Looks great for almost 200k

I thought so too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back