Do you trust people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working on my road this evening. Guy rolls up. Past my first gate. I was in the road with the tractor so he zips around me. Road dead ends into my house. I gave chase and asked him what he was doing.

He claimed to be looking for his moms house. Didn't know her name.

My wife thinks I jump to conclusion too fast. I think anyone that passes all the no trespassing signs is up to no good. I had both gates open because I was working on the road.

I gave him an earfull and followed him out. Fortunately the case has triple drive and will go about 40 mph if I want to. No problem keeping up with him lol.

IMG_20190511_185905.jpg

IMG_20190511_193749.jpg

IMG_20190511_193819.jpg

IMG_20190511_193828.jpg

Originally Posted by Chris142

Red threat warning light goes off right there. Hope you take self defense seriously out where you live.

They would have been detained against their will until law enforcement arrived....Especially with your signs. It's not exactly open to the public....It's not about trust, it's survival!

I defer to the NSA's motto:

I grew up in Gary, Indiana, so... NO. I now live out in the Middle of Nowhere, Indiana, with really only farmers and kids (who seem to do heroin, meth, and other hard drugs at an alarming rate), corn & soybeans... but don't ferget chikins n turkeys- and my wife (who is a lifetime local) laughed at me for probably the first 3 years we were together because I STILL lock my car in the driveway, lock the front door, etc.

I've worked too hard to make it easy from some jackwagon to waltz in and back out with MY stuff in his arms. OP in your case, I likely would have fired a warning shot across his hood and gone from there. Nice tractor, this is what I get to look forward to every summer now... I never knew what a hit n' miss was til I moved here...
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Onetor
They would have been detained against their will until law enforcement arrived....Especially with your signs. It's not exactly open to the public....It's not about trust, it's survival!

I defer to the NSA's motto:

I dont live in a free state. If I did that I would go to jail for kidnapping. He would get a $25 cite and release ticket.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Red threat warning light goes off right there.

Man no doubt! I would be like,you don't know your own mother's name??

Originally Posted by dishdude
Do you have a neighbor selling drugs out of their house or something?

Anything is possible I guess. My closest neighbors are retired or young families with jobs. I don't know the others farther down the road.

I was working on my road this evening. Guy rolls up. Past my first gate. I was in the road with the tractor so he zips around me. Road dead ends into my house. I gave chase and asked him what he was doing.

My wife thinks I jump to conclusion too fast. I think anyone that passes all the no trespassing signs is up to no good. I had both gates open because I was working on the road.

You are at risk of an UGLY confrontation with somebody on your road to nowhere. Keep your gates closed, ALL THE TIME. Yeah, it is a pain to have to stop, jump down and open the gate, drive through, stop, run back and close the gate, but at least you keep out the " tourists ... ".

Last edited:
My first answer would be no. However, I do tend to try to see the good in people and give some the benefit of the doubt that don't deserve it. I have to be careful to be realistic and remember that if someone seems suspicious, they probably are.

You seem to have acted very reasonably. I'm much more distrustful of humans. I'd have gotten his plates, called it in as trespassing and requested the plate be run to see if I should be worried. Regardless, I'd treat it as a perimeter breach and assume he was casing the area. Follow his route, see what he may have learned. Be armed and on alert for the next few weeks. I'm a bit of a freak though. Nice property.

Trust has to be earned. Until I get to know you I do not trust you. Once I get to know you and you earn my trust
we are pretty much good to go.

Sadly I trust NO ONE....

However if people work to gain my trust over a lot of time...I will trust them...but they have to prove themselves by working hard to do so.

I agree ALWAYS keep your gates closed, the small inconvenience of having to open and close while working on the road will be worth it if you don't have someone attempt to harm or kill you because they are criminals.

1000% as soon as the idiot says he doesn't know his mothers name, I. AM. DONE. WITH. THEM.

Trust? It's not really a matter of trust. You have how many gates? How many signs?

Either the people are illiterate, stupid, or have some other motive. One person in a long while and I'd give the benefit of the doubt.

So... while I'd generally give limited trust and a bit of benefit of the doubt to a random person on the street, no, I wouldn't for these trespassers

- did you get his license plate?
- snap a photo of him/his car?
- do you lock your gate?
- have you formally notified police, demanding formal response and guidance on how,to deal with the situation?
-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back