Is Aftermarket Rustproofing Effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking peoples first-hand experiences about rustproofing such as Krown or Ziebart (or DIY kits)...

I'm thinking of doing rust treatment on a 2018 Mazda just for peace of mind. Back in the 70's and 80's when I lived in Chicago, Ziebart or dealer rustproofing was an absolute necessity. Cars have gotten better but, I'm still wondering if its worthwhile. Does anyone have first-hand experiences to share? Are there other options other than Krown or Ziebart?

Thanks

Ray

Last edited:
Krown works. We used it on 4 different cars through the years. Had the first car for 15 years here in the Toronto salt belt and no rust on the body.
Used to spray it every year yet found every other year is fine.

We have a 12 yr old Honda, only a little surface rust on the door drain holes, which are not visible. We had rust through on the hood. but Honda replaced it under warranty. IMO rust proofing is unnecssary; just wash your car on a regular basis.

If you commit to rinse off the car top and bottom every week during the salt months, then you could skip rust treatments. FWIW, rust is most active when the temperatures are slightly above freezing, so if the temps remain -20C you can delay the rinsing until the temps rise.

For the annual cost of Krown ( $130 CAD) for a car, it's pretty good insurance for what has proven to be a reliable product up here.

I can say from experience, Mazda's rust faster than others in Ontario, don't know if it is a failure of their paint process, but the wheel arches front and back, rocker panels and trunk lids are problem areas on this brand. Mazda makes some very nice looking cars, if they fix this problem, I will be impressed.

So here's the deal... While doing the OC the other day, I see that most of the carriage underside, even under the car seat areas as far back as the fuel tank, has plastic covers. I presume this is to reduce noise and air drag. These panels can be removed but, it would be a bit of a pain. How the heck can I power wash the underside? Salt will get behind those panels but I won't be able to rinse it down.

Ray

Krown works, Ziebart has been out of business for years. Don't worry about the panels, the spray will get into every nook & cranny, especially recommended to protect the electronics from oxidation.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Krown works, Ziebart has been out of business for years...

Out of business? It's still around and going strong in the Buffalo NY area. My FIL had the underside of his 2017 Nissan Frontier caked with that tar like crap from Ziebart last year. To the tune of ~$600. Free yearly layering though!

In regards to Krown, I have some Canadian friends who see yearly Krown jobs as routine as engine oil changes. They swear by it.

I had the Ram in my sig sprayed last year. I see no evidence of the stuff under the truck what so ever and have some very mild surface rust on some chassis, suspension and frame components, BUT I still have evidence of the Krown magical spray creeping out of body panels. I plan on getting it done again in 2019. They say it's best to do when it's still very warm out to give it time to creep. People tend to wait till fall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KGMtech

I can say from experience, Mazda's rust faster than others in Ontario, don't know if it is a failure of their paint process, but the wheel arches front and back, rocker panels and trunk lids are problem areas on this brand. Mazda makes some very nice looking cars, if they fix this problem, I will be impressed.

My son's white 2010 Mazda 3 has zero rust.
Parked outside and driven in some of the worse roads and, saltiest conditions you will see.
Zero washing during salt season.

Is it effective, yes at least oil based products from my experience.
Here is my 06 Mazda 3 after 11 Ontario winters. It's all dusty because I imported it to CA in late 17.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Had the 77 in my sjg Ziebart coated and 5 years later started to show in unusual places. The body shop owner said that the tar undercoating pocketed and held water. Cost me some money but lesson learned. The 95 has been oiled annually professionally and no rust.

It seems the trick is to use oil based undercoating regularly and not the tar stuff. Tar just traps moisture.

There is not much info on Crown around Minnesota. There is in other states. How does this compare to Cosmoline (RP342) , Fluid film
or my go to Amsoil heavy duty metal protector. I see Crown is available in aerosol cans and is relatively cheap per can as well as environmentally friendly.
They do not want you to wash very much because it does come off unlike cosmoline which has properties close to amsoils in which it dries to form a barrier
but is still flexible and is not easily washed off.

Thanks for input and discussion on this. Looking for which direction to go on my new Silverado Trail Boss.

Originally Posted by JTK

Out of business? It's still around and going strong in the Buffalo NY area. My FIL had the underside of his 2017 Nissan Frontier caked with that tar like crap from Ziebart last year. To the tune of ~$600. Free yearly layering though!

In regards to Krown, I have some Canadian friends who see yearly Krown jobs as routine as engine oil changes. They swear by it.

I had the Ram in my sig sprayed last year. I see no evidence of the stuff under the truck what so ever and have some very mild surface rust on some chassis, suspension and frame components, BUT I still have evidence of the Krown magical spray creeping out of body panels. I plan on getting it done again in 2019. They say it's best to do when it's still very warm out to give it time to creep. People tend to wait till fall.

Yup, Ziebart is still here in my area as well.

The Ziebart stuff is garbage, it doesn't creep and gets hard so corrosion can and will take place behind it. Krown or Rust Check, or some other oil that creeps is your best bet.

Originally Posted by cb450sc
My 2005 Civic gets the Krown treatment every 1 1/2 to 2 years. Not a speck of rust

Have you ever removed your front fender liners to see what's behind? I would take a look.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by JTK

Yup, Ziebart is still here in my area as well.

The funny thing with ziebart is, they do offer an oil type spray, but if you don't go in specifically requesting that, they use that black nightmare goo.

You only want an oil based product that will "creep".

Krown, CarWell, Fluid Film, NH Coatings. Probably others.

And a place that knows what they are doing. Car that has a pretty clean undercarriage. No mud.

I would suggest getting it done by a professional the first time then DIY.

To do a good job you need wands that are 3' long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back