2005 Subaru OB ATF Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2005 Subaru Outback with the 4 speed automatic transmission. One of the recommended ATF's for the transmission is a ATF-J. A seperate note in the manual says Dexron III can be used also. I searched here and on the web but couldn't find any info on ATF-J. I am wondering if ATF-J and Dexron III are fine to mix and what the difference is?

This car will see a lot of city driving and I would like to change the ATF on a regular basis.

Thanks

I wouldn't mix. If Dexron-III is indeed OK for long-term use, I'd do a complete exchange. I haven't looked at a Subaru transmission. If it's anything like a Honda, three very short-term 4-quart drains & refills do a good job of flushing.

You might contact Lubegard. They know about the different ATFs in order to sell their supplements. http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/index_trans.html

Is the Subaru ATF very expensive? If not, you might be best off to stick with that. Far too many car makers are using their own ATF and we know too little about crossing over to other ATFs.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks alot for the info. Info on Subaru ATF is hard to come by.

quote:

Originally posted by Ben H:
I just bought a 2005 Subaru Outback with the 4 speed automatic transmission. One of the recommended ATF's for the transmission is a ATF-J. A seperate note in the manual says Dexron III can be used also. I searched here and on the web but couldn't find any info on ATF-J. I am wondering if ATF-J and Dexron III are fine to mix and what the difference is?

This car will see a lot of city driving and I would like to change the ATF on a regular basis.

Thanks

Is the AT new for 2005 models?
Up to now, subaru used dexron III with 30,000 intervals.

Is Subaru new to 5-speed automatics?
I wonder if Subaru needed a better fluid for the e-5at sportshift over the dexron used for years in the e-4at transmissions?

I'm betting that the ATF-J(like SPIII, TIV, MATIC-d&j&k, MerconV, ATF+4) is just an improved fluid to help deal with temperatures(both hot and cold performance), deposit control(more critical in the newer difficult to time the shifts 5-speed automatics), the must have shift quality, and smooth/unnoticeable TC engagement.

I'd stick with the OEM fluid, a multi vehicle ATF, or name brand synthetic for maintenance intervals. I'm betting that the DexronIII-H(?) spec would be something to look for over any ol' dex3 since it too is improved.

Since yours is the 4-speed, I wouldn't worry too much since the owners manual is giving you DexIII or ATF-J as choices. Just stick with a good brand.

I'll take a look at what the new 5 speed OB tranny requires cos I have a 05 Outback with the H6 engine in my garage! Hehe

My Infiniti J30 got totaled and I just replaced it with a Legacy GT wagon with the 5EAT auto tranny.

I've looked around for info on ATF-J and the tranny. There is a good chance that the Subaru 5EAT is the same tranny that is in the Infiniti FX45 (some of the other parts in the car are Nissan). I hope this turns out to be true because the FX45 puts out 320 hp so the tranny should be good in my GT if I up it to ~300hp.

So Nissan ATF Matic Fluid J, Castrol Transmax J, or IDEMITSU ATF HP are possible ATFs we could use.

I emailed Idemitsu and got the following reply:

"Idemitsu ATF-HP and Dexron III are compatible. However, there are major
differences:
Idemitsu ATF-HP has a much higher shear stability, therefore, it last
longer, protects longer, and stays cleaner longer.
It also is designed to include characteristics necessary for Lockup
Torque Converters, which, the majority of the new vehicles today have.
I could go on and on...but,
In general, it is a much higher level fluid than a basic Dexron III.
FYI, Dexron III is a minimum level spec."

I think I'll do future ATF changes with the Idemitsu ATF HP. Pennzoil and Castrol are also supposed to make a Type J ATF. I emailed them to see if it is available in the USA. I'll post their replies when I get them.

The "-J" fluid is very similar to the new GM Dexron III(H) fluids, but not the earlier Dexron III fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back