Next Level Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a jug M1 EP 5w30 for the wife's 13 equinox 2.4 to get it off of the AC Delco syn blend the dealer uses. I was going to change today but the olm stopped me with only 59%. She has went by the oil monitor and dealers recommended change at 20% oil life remaining which has went farther due to scheduling issues. Im contiplating on waiting to draw a sample to send to Blackstone when it hits 20% to see what 7500ish miles on the ACDelco syn blend looks like. The car has 66,148 miles on it and I have a feeling we have been pushing the oil way past its limits for the 6 years we have owned it. This was a hard decision to pick an oil as i wanted a sturdy cleaning aditive so i was leaning towards PPPP for that, but want to throw up a shield for wear and the latest thread on hths made me lean more towards M1EP. Napa Gold cartridge filters are on hand and ready to go. but what would you do? Some extensive warm up periods in the winter, mostly city with almost no highway, and she drives like F1 driver. What do you guys think?

20190511_132042.jpg

Heavy warmups and lots of city driving tells you what to do right there........ change the blended oil at 5k. Your oil life monitor tells you nothing about the condition of your oil.

Looks really nice for six years old. Even the headlight cover-glass ain't all fogged up yet. Betting it's garage-kept.

Never have to worry about flooding where you live.....lol.
But you may worry a little about a future fire, with all those trees nearby.

The house in the middle of the pack there is pretty small. That's the size of mine. It's all the wife and I need these entering retirement years.

Last edited:
You maybe overthinking this one, either the Mobil1 EP or the PPPP would be a better quality lube and choice then Ac Delco Semi syn. Either is more then capable of a 8k OCI without any concerns in your engine. Valvoline Modern Engine is probably a good choice too. You are right to be concerned though, it is pushing it with semi to do a 7500 mile OCI, especially if the primary driver has a lead foot.

GM's oil life monitor (OLM) has been around for 30 years, and is on millions of vehicles. There's nothing wrong with it. The system will adjust for temperature and driving style, and adjust accordingly. Plenty of people have posted used oil analysis reports, and the monitor was pretty much spot on.

If you do change the engine oil yourself, make sure to reset the OLM, or the driver might get a premature change oil soon message.

I don't think I could run my Lucerne down to 20% since I'm in the same boat with winter warm ups and mostly city driving. I'd get that winter fill out of there.

Not to derail this but my grandparents lived in Council Bluffs. My grandpa was a night foreman on the city street crew and I remember him talking about those steep hills and what a pain they were to maintain. They are the steepest hills I've ever seen houses built on.

Last edited:
You can continue to trust the OLM. Use an oil that meets GM6094 (superseded by dexos) and call it a day.

GM has done a great job with their OLM, I'd have confidence in the system.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Your oil life monitor tells you nothing about the condition of your oil..
Wrong. The OLM is good predictor of blowby, contamination, etc. from stop-n-go, short tripping, high revs, overheating, all taken into account as the car is operated.
See the main algorithm at https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5091779/re-oil-life-monitors#Post5091779 if you are still confused about what the GM OLM is.
Originally Posted by Jesse_NE
GM's oil life monitor (OLM) has been around for 30 years, and is on millions of vehicles. There's nothing wrong with it. The system will adjust for temperature and driving style, and adjust accordingly. Plenty of people have posted used oil analysis reports, and the monitor was pretty much spot on.
Spot on! The truth. See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-2012-cruze-oil-life-monitor#Post4459177 for some results. It did a decent job of predicting when the oil went south.
Originally Posted by GaryPoe
..... the latest thread on HTHS made me lean more towards M1EP.
M1 EP has merely an average HTHS = 3.0. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic has a higher HTHS at 3.2, possibly not a bad idea to go a tad higher, especially if you suspect fuel dilution reducing your viscosity. Both oils are dexos1 and at walmart.
Napa Gold cartridge filters are on hand .....
Good choice there. Those are the same as Wix, and known to be very good.

GM's oil life monitor never knows what type of oil YOUR using, and you can't program what type your using into it. So if you use auto store brand oil, it will tell you to change it at 5k miles. If you use Mobil 1 Extended performance 15k usage oil, it will still tell you to change it at 5k miles. So how is that accurate? If you blindly go by the ALM, you will be throwing good serviceable oil away...

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Heavy warmups and lots of city driving tells you what to do right there........ change the blended oil at 5k. Your oil life monitor tells you nothing about the condition of your oil.

Looks really nice for six years old. Even the headlight cover-glass ain't all fogged up yet. Betting it's garage-kept.

Never have to worry about flooding where you live.....lol.
But you may worry a little about a future fire, with all those trees nearby.

The house in the middle of the pack there is pretty small. That's the size of mine. It's all the wife and I need these entering retirement years.

My house is about that big, fortunately we have a non attached garage so it doesnt take up space in the basement like the others. The car is not garaged, I only keep it washed and waxed often.
Originally Posted by PimTac
How did the oil monitor stop you?

I didnt want to waste money changin out good oil, I figures someone would complain about the waste... and wouldnt you know! PIMtac to the rescue!
Originally Posted by GZRider
You maybe overthinking this one, either the Mobil1 EP or the PPPP would be a better quality lube and choice then Ac Delco Semi syn. Either is more then capable of a 8k OCI without any concerns in your engine. Valvoline Modern Engine is probably a good choice too. You are right to be concerned though, it is pushing it with semi to do a 7500 mile OCI, especially if the primary driver has a lead foot.

I tend to overthink often... Protection is more important to me at this point, cleaning is right behind it or on same level so I chose M1EP. I want to eventually go to M1 advanced full synthetic for the rest of the cars life with 5k oci but wanted an initial boost on a cleaning aditives to get it going. It probobly doesnt matter and im sure several ppl will say so.

Your GovMo won't know the difference between the AC Delco oil or the "next level of protection" you think you can pour in.

Simply put, choose any synthetic from a major brand that meets the specs and move on.

In the meantime, ⬛ï¸â¬›ï¸â¬›ï¸

PimTac. Why didnt I think of that! Just chose an oil. Who cares who makes it right? They are all the same. Great conversation bro. Keep up the great work.

PimTac. Why didnt I think of that! Just chose an oil. Who cares who makes it right? They are all the same. Great conversation bro. Keep up the great work.

It most be peaceful being full of ignorance.

And as a bonus we can just shut down the oil site, great. No reason to put thought into oil choice guys, just get the cheapest and if you disagree you just don't know about oil.

Originally Posted by burla

And as a bonus we can just shut down the oil site, great. No reason to put thought into oil choice guys, just get the cheapest and if you disagree you just don't know about oil.

You don't know oil glad you have realized this.

Since you asked what we would do, here is what I'd do. Number one, stop warming up your car in winter, your cam is likely starved for oil when the idle kicks down. Two, get a high moly oil. Peaking at the walmart shelf the other day, the second cheapest oil was QSUD at under 20 bucks for the 5 liter, and that oil happens to be full of moly. I do like PUP as well, if you mix 0w40 PUP with 5w20 PUP it will boost moly hgher then most and wont boost visc very high. 0w40 PUP shears very steeply, it is more of a 5w30 then a 0w40. And, loose the paper filters, go synthetic spin microglass, fram ultra at a minimum.

I don't know if that engine is a DI turbo, if it is I like your m1ep or Amsoil SS.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by burla

You don't know oil glad you have realized this.

Funny the "mean girl" team that run around and wager personal attacks as if they are some big important job here ay BITOG. There is a group here that simply refuse to believe the truth that some oil bases actually do what they say. Instead of questioning the info, they launch ad hominem attacks as if they is supposed to convicne the world of their postion. What would be the number? Tell me the number of guys that have followed my instrustion and ended thier hemi tick by using something different then the bad advice they get from people like you. With video evidence? What number of guys would it take for you to question yourself and leave that ad hominem garbage at the door step?

It's not about meaning mean it's about you don't know motor oil. You like to cite additives and base oils on how each can cover mechanical flaws. The simple truth is this is not the case each is just a means to obtain specification. Because of API, ISLAC, and OEM certs and specs motor oil is a commodity of certified base oils and additive packages not mythical brews which can magically repair and prevent mechanical, engineering, and design flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back