Carnivore Diet - not to derail any of the other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Jordan Peterson fan, but only recently became aware of something that oft goes with great intelect...massive depression.

His daughter Mikhaila had depression and auto-immune issues, researched and went largely carnivore...Jordan followed...watch the first vid...this girl had a hip and ankle replacement in her teens due to arthritis.

And this one, a before and after interview of her and her Dad following their dietary changes.

Posted as I find it very interesting.

My daughter has Celiac, and is very affected by nightshade family plants, so we are a bit challenged on these fronts.

Last edited:
Shannow, I haven't yet watched the videos, but likely will. I believe most of the things "they" (being established Western medicine) push for us to do is most likely exactly the opposite. They say avoid red meat, I say what I've read says red meat has exactly what our bodies need, as long as it's not full of antibiotics. They say you need lots of dairy for healthy bones; why is man the only mammal that "needs" dairy after very early life development? Anyways, the more they "know", the more people seem to be getting fatter, sicker, and more dependent on sick doctors and hospitals.

There's just not enough historical data "proving" that all of today's negatives (diabetes, heart disease, etc) existed at the rates they do today to make me believe all of the hooey. We also know things like gluten intolerance, Celiac, etc... are all driven by certain plants and their survival defenses (like fruits and vegetables- sweet if they need animal fertilizer to grow, spicy if they use the plant itself for sprouting new plants from the seeds) so I for one believe her story is probably closer to the truth than what any Western doctor will ever tell you. They get paid to push you towards pills, injections, and operations to help you "manage" but not eliminate your disease.

When I was a kid, my grandparents owned a fruit and vegetable shop in a (then) gorgeous town called Daylesford.

My Nan couldn't understand why the Italians would buy a "perfectly good" tomato, then blanch the skins off, scrape out the seeds, then eat the flesh only in their antipastos and sauces.

Now I understand exactly why...

Originally Posted by JLTD
Very enlightening! I suppose that genetically, we're programmed to eat certain things depending on our makeup.

I believe so...as Steve SRT8 oft states..."what's good for you might kill me"...it's probably literally true.

BLood groups evolved over time, as we became more agricultural...I'm an "O"...the oldest, hunter and gather make-up...the lactase production epigenetic change is only relatively recent, and hasn't spread to everyone of European origin, and certainly not into Asia.

Nightshades (Potatoes, Tomatoes, Eggplant etc) are very very recent introductions to the globe, along with their lectins.

check out KenDBerryMD for a lot of truthful eye opening health information! he debunks the money making unhealthy recommendations + tells you like it is!

I have read and watched quite a bit about it.

I am Keto now, but am almost carnivore.
Butter, cheese and olives are the only things I eat that are not meat (although some say eggs are not carnivore, and I eat a lot of eggs).

I have heard many say that carnivore is a further step in ketosis (higher protein that most keto, but still high fat, low carb (pretty much no carb actually)) and many that are carnivore were keto first.

Originally Posted by benjy
check out KenDBerryMD for a lot of truthful eye opening health information! he debunks the money making unhealthy recommendations + tells you like it is!

His were some of the first videos I saw. He has done some research and has a lot of useful information.
He admits that physicians get just a few hours of nutritional health training, and the little they get is basically what we have all been taught for the past 40+ years (the food pyramid), and it is wrong.
When you look at the rate of obesity growth and the dietary recommendations, seems they are connected, and not in a good way.

Since the days of early hominids, we've been omnivores, to include animal flesh.
One hates to think of how many ancient men died or suffered horribly in learning what parts of what plants and fungi were safe to eat.
I'm of the opinion that we were born to eat fish, fowl and flesh as well as a wide variety of plant materials.
We do this in our daily diet and seem not to suffer from it.

We are omnivores, like most of the primate family - opportunists. Eat what you can, when you can, it's kept us alive for thousands of years.

I read a book years ago about one of the polar explorers, Shackleton I presume. They were having some trouble getting to the pole, failing. Carrying all their provisions, cooking meals...and then people getting ill. He looked at the diet of the people who live in the area...and Eskimos are maybe the only true carnivore humans, they can't and don't cook their meat. So Shackleton had his men eat raw meat, and their health improved vastly.

So, how much of a carnivore are you ?

Silk,
I think that's the only way of keeping the Vit C that's in meat in it...humans lost the ability to make VitC, but dogs and cats (and bears and seals) kept it...so obviously there was enough of that vitamin in the environment for us to drop that need.

Interestingly, the levels of (A or D ??? can't remember) in polar bear's livers is fine for the locals, but would kill you or I....googled it, it's Vit A.

Last year I tried a (what I'd read to be) a healthy experiment...cold soaked oats, cashews and sunflower seeds, soaked in yakult type yoghurt with a bit of honey overnight...Day 1 I felt full until well after my normal lunchtime...day 4, I felt utterly dreadful...like I did as a teenager, when it was cereal and milk and toast for breakfast.

Guinea pigs can't make Vit C either, one of the reasons they are test animals. I guess they get enough munching on whatever guinea pigs munch on.

The human is a pretty new species, and probably still evolving...trouble is where most species adapt to their environment, we are adapting our environment to suit us....and getting it way wrong.

Silk, exactly...when you look at diabetes, it's an evolutionary advantage...being able to take a couple of weeks worth of sugary fruit flush and pack it into fat right before winter is great...eating an apple pie every day takes that advantage and kills us (well some of us).

And as to adapting the environment and getting it wrong, too right...on the link above (The HigherSide Chats), there are a few great podcasts on the indigenous populations of various continents, and their manufacturing of massive abundance of food, albeit seasonal...(and why burning a bit of ground every year or two does not replicate this.

35 years ago I read several times, a book called Diet and Nutrition, by um...Rudolph Ballentine, and still have it. He looked closely at localised cultures before the world hit them....and most had their diet pretty sorted to their environment. Like one Peruvian area where they would've had a calcium deficiency, they got enough calcium because they ground their corn with a limestone mortar. Most are low on meat eating, because like us as a kid, chooks gave us eggs, we didn't eat what gave us the food. They got complete protein by combining food groups - rice and dahl, falafel and pita bread, peanut butter sandwich etc. They didn't have a nutritional scientist sort out this complicated diet for them, trial and error, they found what worked for them. We seem to have lost that - I stand in the supermarket queue and see carts loaded with $ worth of junk food....chips and coke, and the people behind the carts obviously eat that stuff....and....and.

I give up, it's a lost cause.

Originally Posted by Silk
I give up, it's a lost cause.

I felt like that too...I laregly feel like that.

Son had his gluten cheat day today (he's got both genes, just doesn't show the celiac stuff)...he decided that he was going to pig out on KFC popcorn chicken, as that's "what he missed most".

Had it and "meh"...it wasn't Charlie Bucket with a Wonka bar...it was "OK, and I don't think I'll miss it anymore"

Personally, two piece of toast with grilled cheese, or a couple of poached eggs on a crumpet, or a bowl of sauteed mushies with spinach are as good as it gets

I have done the Keto diet twice.. and probably wont do it again... i found myself craving processed meats and dairy. As well as finding loopholes with sugar free foods.

Beef- not sure how healthy it is to eat corn fed beef.. surely its not natural. Grass Fed seems to be much better but that gets expensive.
Chicken- Was always doubting myself when there was options of (organic and free range)
Fish- I cant eat 'farm raised'..i just imagine fish in a slurry being raised on dog food or entrails.
Pork- Probably the worst but i tended to crave it the most. I have seen videos of pig farms where they fed them chicken waste..and crops from manure.
Eggs- So many choices (free range, omega 3, cage free)...

Anyone that goes on these diets and shops at supermarkets will have to make the choice of the cheap or expensive version of these foods.. and it seems the cheap versions go against everything that seem to be 'healthy'.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I have done the Keto diet twice.. and probably wont do it again... i found myself craving processed meats and dairy. As well as finding loopholes with sugar free foods.

Beef- not sure how healthy it is to eat corn fed beef.. surely its not natural. Grass Fed seems to be much better but that gets expensive.
Chicken- Was always doubting myself when there was options of (organic and free range)
Fish- I cant eat 'farm raised'..i just imagine fish in a slurry being raised on dog food or entrails.
Pork- Probably the worst but i tended to crave it the most. I have seen videos of pig farms where they fed them chicken waste..and crops from manure.
Eggs- So many choices (free range, omega 3, cage free)...

Anyone that goes on these diets and shops at supermarkets will have to make the choice of the cheap or expensive version of these foods.. and it seems the cheap versions go against everything that seem to be 'healthy'.

So what did you choose ?

Originally Posted by Shannow
When I was a kid, my grandparents owned a fruit and vegetable shop in a (then) gorgeous town called Daylesford.

My Nan couldn't understand why the Italians would buy a "perfectly good" tomato, then blanch the skins off, scrape out the seeds, then eat the flesh only in their antipastos and sauces.

Now I understand exactly why...

Why? Are you saying the seeds, skin and insides of tomatoes are bad?

At 15:50 on the second video I can attest to this- I had pretty bad 'tennis elbow' and had a couple cortisone shots but after doing keto none of the pain has returned for 8 months. Pretty interesting videos. Thanks for posting these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back