2kW INV Genset Drain Plug Magnet + Spark Plug < 50 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I purchased a magnetic drain plug for my WEN inverter-generator last year for two reasons:

1. The OEM plug is poorly designed and allows for leakage

2. I wanted to see how much ferrous material it would attract

In a previous thread, I believe I recall someone stating that small engines like this don't have any components that would shed ferrous material, and that a magnetic plug would be worthless. This does NOT appear to be the case.

The following pictures are with relatively fresh oil, on a generator with < 50 hrs total run time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also pulled the plug and re-gapped it, since it was 0.01 over:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I added some gas and ran'er with a 1.5kW heater for 30 minutes as an opcheck this afternoon. Worked well.

From that First Picture, I can see that your WEN is 100% exactly the same as my Harbor Freight Predator 2000w inverter gen (Yamaha based design)

Where did you order your magnetic dipstick from? I want one now!

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
How do you find the WEN generator , say in comparison to a similar Yamaha or Honda 2000w genny ?

After sitting for a while, it's a little hard to start. Granted, I usually keep the fuel tank empty and only fill enough to load test the generator once or twice per year, so this may be a major contributing factor. Yesterday, it took me 20+ pulls to get her started. I added more fuel after the first dozen pulls to see if it simply wasn't getting to the carb.

There is no purge bulb to fill the carb, after all.

I don't have any experience with other INV gen sets, but this one has worked well for me when I need it to.

Noise: It's definitely louder than an equivalent Honda, but that doesn't matter to me at all, since the noise is lost in the background after it runs for a while, and isn't loud enough to be bothersome indoors.

Fuel consumption: this thing sips fuel. It only has 1 gal of capacity, and I only use it to keep the fridge, freezer, and lights on, gizmos charged, and coffee made. I can't imagine another generator being much better, or at least appreciably so.

Maintenance: about what can be expected for a boxed-in INV generator. The spark plug is easily accessible and the oil is easy to drain. I use a syringe to pump the 351 mL back in, or whatever it takes.

//

If this thing doesn't last for 10+ years, I'll buy a Honda next.

Originally Posted by Linctex
From that First Picture, I can see that your WEN is 100% exactly the same as my Harbor Freight Predator 2000w inverter gen (Yamaha based design)

Where did you order your magnetic dipstick from? I want one now!

I do think that they're all similar, but there have got to be some difference, right? Well, the plastic is a different color, at least!

I got the dipstick and a cover from Home Depot: DIPSTICK LINK

Amazon was a few dollars more, but now the prices are the same.

NO reason to use one? Nonsense. I find goo every time I pull mine out - typically every 50 hours. Especially during break in.

In a filterless system the only other thing you have is a sump drain - why not add some layer of filtration - especially for so cheap.

What the lash inspection interval on that Wen?

UD

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Is that the OEM Chinese spark plug? The first thing I did with my HF generator was to change the plug to a NGK. The OEM plugs have been problematic in the Chonda engines.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
NO reason to use one? Nonsense. I find goo every time I pull mine out - typically every 50 hours. Especially during break in.

In a filterless system the only other thing you have is a sump drain - why not add some layer of filtration - especially for so cheap.

What the lash inspection interval on that Wen?

UD

That's exactly why I bought the mag drain plug.

I'll have to look up the valve inspection interval.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Is that the OEM Chinese spark plug? The first thing I did with my HF generator was to change the plug to a NGK. The OEM plugs have been problematic in the Chonda engines.

Good point. I have a spare NGK, ready to go in. I'll install it before I run her again next time.

I wonder if that will help it to start faster after sitting empty.
The only thing that leads me to believe it's fuel-related, is that it will not even attempt to catch, and then, on that fateful last pull, it starts right up. In other words, it doesn't sputter and attempt to start a bunch of times; it acts as if the fuel switch is off and then it just decides it wants to start on the umpteenth pull and it's off to the races!

Does yours have the "vacuum relief valve" on top of the gas cap? If so, it will help having the valve in the "on" position for cold starts.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Does yours have the "vacuum relief valve" on top of the gas cap? If so, it will help having the valve in the "on" position for cold starts.

Haha, yea, it definitely does help having that open! I have actually forgotten that a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back