Funny moment of the day.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger

Mileage on the Odometer is 53832 & the Mileage stored in the PCM is 53834.
Engine Hours show 27,734
lol.gif
........It's just broke in right!!! My Duramax has @ 19,000 hours on it & just north of 400,000 miles.

Originally Posted by dishdude
4.5 year old truck that was run 17 hours a day? Any indication it was a commercial truck? Curious what this was used for to have so much idle time.

Holy Smokin' run time, Batman!

The ecm also stores the mileage so even if the odometer was tampered with (which is unlikely) the ecm is within 2 miles of the odometer

Last edited:
Or maybe it was "ECU Active" the entire time it had power, which would make sense if it had been sitting with a dead/disconnected battery for about a year.

Originally Posted by MrMoody

Edit to add, that number is fairly close to 100,000,000 seconds, it has to be a misread/misinterpret or been tampered.

I would add...maybe ECU has some kind of protection added...that if you try to tamper it, it writes some nonsenses instead...

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
You replaced the timing chains & hardware ?

How did it run , then ?

No sir....The engine is DONE! WET Leakdown numbers are @ 30-40% across all cylinders.
36,000 mile replacement engine was $2,000, Clean as a pin on the inside & @ 20% dry leakdown.

That engine sure had a rough life. Can't wait to hear if the tranny is any good.

That engine sure had a rough life. Can't wait to hear if the tranny is any good.

If any unit can take A LOT of idle time.....It's the 6R140. Has a roller bearing to support the Converter Hub instead of a Bushing. The fluid looked pretty good (What came out of the cooler)

The PS fluid was beat-up though, And the PS return/cooler hoses are very hard for a truck this new.

I hope your account bought it cheap at auction. Sucks to buy a truck with 50k ish miles and have it need an engine in a 2015 truck. However if there is a bright side, a $2000 6.2 is cheap compared to what a 6.7 would have cost.

Heck you can't even find a 3v 5.4 for anywhere near that kind of money, at least not without a billion miles and ready to implode.

Originally Posted by mattd
Yes it can. The 6r140 is a tough unit.

AND it's got less than 60,000 miles on it....well, at least the shifty parts, the pumps and bearings have gone a long long way.....

Truck turned out pretty good......Transmission shifts great with fresh Motorcraft Mercon LV.

The customer declined new Cab Mounts & of course you can hear them over a really rough road or entering a driveway approach too hot.

Not a bad outcome! I'm sure he'll still make a small profit after all this.

Not a bad outcome! I'm sure he'll still make a small profit after all this.

I've seen these guys sell the same vehicle 20 times. With a truck like this.....He'll get a big down payment & if the buyer is late by one day on a payment....It will be repossessed!

I've moonlighted as a Repo man on the weekends, The vehicles have trackers & "I" will NOT repo from a residence! I'll wait 'til your at the Movies,Walmart,Mall,Bar etc.

I work on an USAF installation. The Security Forces Squadron racked up 25k engine hours (20k of those were idling hours) on a 2010 F-350 6.2L by 60k miles. Shortly thereafter it needed a new engine due to catastrophic sludging.

20190520_162943.jpg

I understand what you mean by explaining hours to people. I give people bad news like this fairly often.

If you average out the Dmax's 400K against 19K hours you get 21 MPH average
Compare the same way to that ford and you get the equivalent of 582K miles on it with oil changes likey based on miles not hours-
Of course, it sludged up.

I build dog grooming vans as a moonlight gig and one manufacturer has an IDLE for power and air conditioning scheme and insists it all going to be just fine.
Right at about 5 years, they all start to completely fall apart engine wise.

They typically idle about 2K a year as they work 9-5 mon - fri
Thats 10K in 5 years in just idle time no mileage which at 21 MPH works out to 210K miles that never shows on an odometer.

(Ive heard several quotes the standard mile / hour equivalent is 33MPH but well go with 21 for this)

Add to that say 15K miles X 5years thats 75K + 210 - so at the end of 5 years you have a rig with 285K miles maintained like a 75K rig.
the entire reciprocating system and accessory assembly is simply worn out.

It a bummer telling crying women groomers they need an entirely new, or reman Mercedes engine in a van they just paid off.

but, but, but they told me it would last forever they sob......

UD

Last edited:
The 6.2 is a tough unit, I bought a retired oil field techs truck with a 154,000 miles and almost 12k hours on it, and it ran great with good power. The drive line was torched, it needed front u-joints and bearings/hubs, along with rear axle seals. It was starting to develop a rear main seal leak, and the a/c compressor was making noise, so I sold the truck after putting about 8,000 miles on it and didn't loose a nickel even after the maintenance costs. Lets hope the new 7.3l that is replacing the 6.2 is as durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back