Counterfeit Moog Bearings

Post pictures?

What did you receive? Rockauto shows the Moog part number as 513188, is that what you got?

I use Moog all the time at work, and to be honest that press release doesn't mean diddly. Moog themselves have admitted that they've "expanded" into the budget-conscious market with the RK line of parts, yet kept it quiet for years until people started to notice that the quality started to falter. Moog sold out years ago, and haven't been the same since. It's getting harder and harder to find the CK or K prefix parts aka the "Problem Solvers" yet the RK line is almost always available and isn't any better (and likely the same) as the cheap stuff that RA sells for 1/4 the price.

As far as wheel bearings go, I've found that the Moog units are almost always more expensive than the next best, sometimes even more than OEM. I don't use them much, nor have I had any issues with the one's I have used. I would install what you got and roll with it.

searching for wheel bearing-hub assembly for girlfriends oil sucking + wheel bearing eating 13 malibu LS 2.5L shows moog @ just under a buck @ the rock , others show close to 2 bucks, quite a difference! surely better than GM's chinese OE offerings that stealers continue to use under warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Post pictures?

What did you receive? Rockauto shows the Moog part number as 513188, is that what you got?

I can post pictures but it's in a no-name solid yellow box. I only paid $75 for it w/free shipping whereas Rock Auto wants $136...... so i'm a bit skeptical

Please post a pic of box and hub, the first moog hubs were made by National in the USA and had a yellow box but I don't remember any logo or writing if it existed, the ones later were made in China by whoflungdung bearing company and in the current Moog box.

Any COO for the box or printing on the box itself?

Does it fit. Does the ABS Sensor not have any stress in it?
Install and drive. Probably a re-boxed MOOG or imitation. Who knows.

Rock Auto sells the actual OE hub/bearing
smile.gif

Another good one is [censored] 102033

Last summer I bought a Moog wheel hub from AZ because I didn't want their durablast. Shocked and dismayed it made in China. It looked good and came in a new box so I had it installed and it was fine. On my Saturn Vue I had a wheel hub replaced and he used a dealer part. It cost less than whatever trustworthy brand he uses but more than the import he doesn't trust. It still holding up.

Potentially a "parallel import"-- Moog wants to distribute in US through "Moog USA" and make extra money because we're rich.

They also sell their stuff in third world countries, obviously the boxes will be different-- different languages etc. eBay vendor snagged these and re-routed them to us.

32.gif
Back in the Viet Nam days my whole family got Minolta SLR cameras through "a guy over there" because they were way cheaper vs buying from "Minolta USA".

You may not have any warranty through "Moog USA" and they could in fact be counterfeit. Or actual Moog parts that failed QC and should have been destroyed but got smuggled out of the factory.

Originally Posted by Trav
Please post a pic of box and hub, the first moog hubs were made by National in the USA and had a yellow box but I don't remember any logo or writing if it existed, the ones later were made in China by whoflungdung bearing company and in the current Moog box

Pretty sure more recent offerings have been made by the SUMTINGWONG bearing company

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Trav
Please post a pic of box and hub, the first moog hubs were made by National in the USA and had a yellow box but I don't remember any logo or writing if it existed, the ones later were made in China by whoflungdung bearing company and in the current Moog box

Pretty sure more recent offerings have been made by the SUMTINGWONG bearing company

lol.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Rock Auto sells the actual OE hub/bearing
smile.gif

Another good one is [censored] 102033

LOL, I guess the censor blocked out "FA G" which is a real company.

Not necessarily counterfeit, but it still sucks that it's Chinese. The good news is that other non-Chinese alternatives exist for your truck
smile.gif

So besides Moog, what are the options that are decent other than OEM? for wheel bearings?

Originally Posted by VNTS
So besides Moog, what are the options that are decent other than OEM? for wheel bearings?

Timken, BCA(which Worldpac has), SKF.

Back