Worst Wearing Tire You Have Ever Owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The set of Continental ContiSport Contact 5 SSR tires on my wife's 2018 Mercedes C300 has set a new record for me. They are 225/40R19 on the front @ $310 each and 255/35R19 on the rear @ $270 each (if I chose to replace them with the same POS tires--which I will not). I plan to replace them with Goodyear (similar to those on my AMG) or Pirelli.

Her car is 1 year and 1 month old with 13,103 miles on it and here are the tread depths:

RF = 4/32"
LF = 3/32"
LR = 2/32"
RR = 1/32"

For clarity, there are no alignment or mechanical issues with the car and my wife is certainly not a Maria Andretti with her driving style. This is by far the worst performance and durability I have ever experienced on any tire in any price range. The Continentals stole the old record from a set of OEM Michelin Primacy's in 235/55R17 on the 2006 Hyundai Azera we previously owned.

Cooper. Could not get them round and balanced. Mastercraft was great. Go figure.

My worst was Goodyear RSA's, 245/45/20's. lasted 17k miles and poor traction to boot.

Second was Hankook ventus V12 summers, they at least had some traction. But they faded fast and only made it to 20k miles.

The tires that come with a new car are never very good. They're made specifically for that purpose, sold to the factory on a low bid.

As for cheap replacements, one time I bought Capitol. They were never round. Kind of wished they would wear out faster.

Last edited:
I had a set of Bridgestone Eager's on one of my cars that lasted 5,000 miles...but I was 19 and driving like a maniac...replaced them with Olympic Steelflex (most incorrectly names tyre that I've ever owned, there was little to no "flex".

Bridgestone Deuler H/Ts are OEM fitment on a lot of Japanese sources Utes in Oz...they are lucky to go 25K miles.

Bridgestone. However, it may have had more to do with our 16 year old son occasionally using the car than the tires themselves.

Goodyear Comfort Assurance Touring? They died in less then 20,000 miles and 20 months by which time it turns out they were severely dryrotted. One of the sidewalls blew out on a rural dirt road in the middle of no where with limited maintenance/travelers/no cell service, had to use some old campfire wood to build a foundation for the sizzer jack to work, good times.

I'll be honest, I've never kept a car OR a set of tires long enough to test out the durability of either.

As a counter point, my aunt's slowly-dying '08 Impala needed a new set of summer tires so I ordered 4 Starfire Solarus AS. They're nothing fancy, to be fair, however not one of the 4 needed more than an ounce of weight to balance out. The lowest was half an ounce on the outer lip, the highest was 3/4 ounce outer and 1/4 ounce inner. This is on a set of well-worn 175k mile aluminum wheels. Color me impressed.

The price? $280 for the set, 225/60R16. If you're on a budget, look at Starfire.

Any motorcycle tire. anywhere from 2000 to 9000 miles is normal, For that kind of life, you pay more than a car tire.

Rod

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I'll be honest, I've never kept a car OR a set of tires long enough to test out the durability of either.

As a counter point, my aunt's slowly-dying '08 Impala needed a new set of summer tires so I ordered 4 Starfire Solarus AS. They're nothing fancy, to be fair, however not one of the 4 needed more than an ounce of weight to balance out. The lowest was half an ounce on the outer lip, the highest was 3/4 ounce outer and 1/4 ounce inner. This is on a set of well-worn 175k mile aluminum wheels. Color me impressed.

The price? $280 for the set, 225/60R16. If you're on a budget, look at Starfire.

My girlfriend just got four after I researched--'17 Optima. Only had 'em less than a week but they're certainly quiet. Priced like Chinese but (I think) made at the Cooper plant in Mississippi. Encouraged her to pull the trigger before tariffs hit. Even though it's American the competition will lift costs greatly at this end of the market. For the record, four tires are about a hundred dollars cheaper than my Wally-World only General Exclaims.

Last edited:
Mickey Thompson ET Streets
grin.gif

If we are talking regular tires, the Pirelli's on the Jeep are wearing surprisingly quick for their size, and they are INSANELY expensive run-flat things, despite it having a full-sized spare
crazy2.gif
Getting swapped out for some Michelin Pilot A/S3+.

Interestingly, my worst set were Continental Conti-someting Pro Contact. I forget exactly what they were called back in 2002. The tires had horrible dry rot, even for my stingy taste. I had to replace them. The date code showed they were only 4 years old!

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
The set of Continental ContiSport Contact 5 SSR tires on my wife's 2018 Mercedes C300 has set a new record for me.

Continentals have popped up in Class Action lawsuits with treadwear problems over the years.
One is: http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews...tal-tire-class-action-settlement-notice/
and I know of another with OEM Continentals on ~2005 Fords, same thing.

My theory is sometimes the tread rubber formulation and/or process is incorrect at the factory, leading to quick treadwear.
Also, they could be doing it on purpose (??) to try to get you to buy new replacement tires sooner.

The BF Goodrich Radial Long Trails that were OEM on my 2010 Nissan Frontier. I've never had tires pickup so many nails! It got so bad that I bought a plug kit and would just pull them out and put in plugs. I also only got about 25,000 miles out of them, which is pretty bad for a highway truck tire.

Originally Posted by John_K
Generals. Many years ago. Wore out in no time and one blew for no reason.

Generals at least the Altimax RT43 I put on about a month ago are one of the best tires I ever had. Great handling in tight turns, wet conditions and very quiet compare to Conti ProContac which came as OEM. Very noisy and squealing in tight turns and that's only after 26K miles with not much thread left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
The set of Continental ContiSport Contact 5 SSR tires on my wife's 2018 Mercedes C300 has set a new record for me. They are 225/40R19 on the front @ $310 each and 255/35R19 on the rear @ $270 each (if I chose to replace them with the same POS tires--which I will not). I plan to replace them with Goodyear (similar to those on my AMG) or Pirelli.

Her car is 1 year and 1 month old with 13,103 miles on it and here are the tread depths:

RF = 4/32"
LF = 3/32"
LR = 2/32"
RR = 1/32"

For clarity, there are no alignment or mechanical issues with the car and my wife is certainly not a Maria Andretti with her driving style. This is by far the worst performance and durability I have ever experienced on any tire in any price range. The Continentals stole the old record from a set of OEM Michelin Primacy's in 235/55R17 on the 2006 Hyundai Azera we previously owned.

From that wear it looks like she's gassing it when she starts off going around right hand corners.

Worst tires for me were the Goodyear Wrangler ST I had on the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee....got it with 18000 miles and replaced the tires shortly thereafter - they were worn on the edges so badly there was almost no tread left.

No wonder with 340BB UTQG.

A recent tire I had, most likely due to poor alignment. The inner side was visibly taller in diameter than the outside of the tire was. But I don't blame this on the tire itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back