B52's in Qatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
My youngest son just got back from being deployed from a "undisclosed location" in Syria. Glad he is home-but praying the rest of the Allied forces all over the region will remain safe!

Originally Posted by CKN
My youngest son just got back from being deployed from a "undisclosed location" in Syria. Glad he is home-but praying the rest of the Allied forces all over the region will remain safe!

My only son is currently in Afghanistan and ready to redeploy to Fort Drum "soon". My fear is that hostilities toward Iran would re-light the MidEast fires again and he'd be stuck in the desert for the duration. But yeah, B-52's are cool.

Originally Posted by redbone3
B52's are configured for cruise missiles. No need to penetrate Iran's air space. Great weapon for a measured response.

It depends on the mission as to what armament they will be carrying, but yes with this mission most likely CM's.

When I was at Al Udeid AB,Qatar the loudest planes were Tornadoes and it was very loud anywhere on base. After I left, B-1bs we're stationed there, it must have been extra miserably loud. With B-52s there now I'm sure there is no shortage of noise.

B-2s only fly from Whitman AFB so it's hard to use them as a show of force. Moving B-52's into the area projects power.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
B52's are configured for cruise missiles. No need to penetrate Iran's air space. Great weapon for a measured response.

It depends on the mission as to what armament they will be carrying, but yes with this mission most likely CM's.

Right, but there's ZERO need to use B52's for deployment of CM's! The purpose of deploying B52's is purely and simply psychological.

The Iranians are on to this, making the deployment more of an exercise and waste more than anything else!

It's all show. All we need to do is communicate that we've got attack subs in the area, ready to deliver munitions, with Amazon speediness, should they be stupid about those narrow seaways! Deploying a large carrier and bombers to the area is all for the cameras - power projection.
36.gif

Originally Posted by cjcride
and it usually serves the purpose

Maybe with some other 3rd-world countries, but I doubt Iran has COA's that ignore immediate US response.

preemptive shows of force likely do nothing to change Iranian behavior. They never planned to stop the flow of oil or overtly support an attack on US forces and we never planned on bombing them without provocation.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

Right, but there's ZERO need to use B52's for deployment of CM's! The purpose of deploying B52's is purely and simply psychological.

The Iranians are on to this, making the deployment more of an exercise and waste more than anything else!

It's all show. All we need to do is communicate that we've got attack subs in the area, ready to deliver munitions, with Amazon speediness, should they be stupid about those narrow seaways! Deploying a large carrier and bombers to the area is all for the cameras - power projection.
36.gif

Submarines like to stay silent and deep until needed. The element of surprise is their mission. Yes, the rest is a bit of show but sometimes the show of pressure is enough to change the circumstances.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by gathermewool

36.gif

Submarines like to stay silent and deep until needed. The element of surprise is their mission. Yes, the rest is a bit of show but sometimes the show of pressure is enough to change the circumstances.

With Iran's USW capabilities, how would they know? We could have an LA or VA-class sub within striking distance at any give time, from any direction, and they'd never know it.

Granted, a daily news show filming the open, empty ocean doesn't exude as much fear as too-big war-planes rolling coal!!!

I would bet there is a sub in that area all the time, just like there is a carrier in the vicinity.

Another aspect of this is that the media does not have the full access to military plans and movements like they did in the past and that's a good thing.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would bet there is a sub in that area all the time, just like there is a carrier in the vicinity.

Another aspect of this is that the media does not have the full access to military plans and movements like they did in the past and that's a good thing.

^^ This^^ And other "areas" as well.

It's obvious you haven't conducted undersea operations in the Persian Gulf any operation in the area is hazardous and a converted Boomer by itself is not much of a deterrent by itself to a capable military like Iran has. The B52's are a deterrent and this exercise won't last long because it does not have to. It served it's purpose we can still respond with overwhelming force in a moment's notice.

I live near an ex Air Force vase where occasionally we get different military planes staying for a bit. The B52s are quite loud and billow black smoke on climbing it seems.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Showing force is always way cheaper then using it and engaging your adversary. Money well spent.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Donald said:

It does seem pretty risky to even think about the idea of sending the B-2 or B-52 into Iran. I'm quite sure Iran has the latest, greatest Russian SAMs.

I agree with most of your sentiments, and yes there is always risk, but the B-52's are still in service because of the stand-off weapons they carry and don't have to fly within range of SAM's. It's been that way since the Carter Admin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back