Question of the Day Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am becoming increasingly frustrated with that forum.

It's sold one minute as entry level, and not to be technical...

I've been directed a number of times to open my own "white paper" when expanding on technical issues for example gear pitting and fatigue, and shaft fatigue, both topics that I have considerable experience.

For instance the recent shaft fatigue thread, the OP went on to discuss heat treatment and the like, which I felt was open to further extension, only to be told to make my own white paper again.

So what is that forum ?

Is it for one player (the moderator, as every response is moderated before it's allowed up - I've had many not get to the open post stage) only to provide technical content ?

All others limited to single word responses to fill in the blanks ?

I'm happy for the board to vote on this one...

I'm more than happy to leave QOTD as Molakule's classroom, with extension of is topics into the areas that he and he alone sees fit, and single word answers receiving the piston cup.

I just find it a bit rich that it's supposed to be a single word answer, and engineering extension is verbotten bar one Point of View.

If it's simplistic one word answers, then it may as well always carry the "technical people don't bother" advice on the forum heading.

Note, I would normally try to have these discussions via PM, however the moderator who has asked me to go to white papers does not accept Personal Messages.

35.gif

Shannow,

I think the spirit of the QotD forum is to has non-professional level educational threads. I have read several of your responses and enjoy learning from them. It would be a great benefit to myself and others who read this forum if you would be willing to contribute to BITOG on the areas in which you obviously have expertise.

Wayne

Wayne,
appreciate the response...

But the most recent one veered from geometry (the original question) into heat treatment, and thus I felt was open for further extension...only to be told (again) to make a white paper.

I don't mind it being entry level, single word answer stuff...as long as it's consistently that.

Regards

Steve

Originally Posted by Shannow

...Note, I would normally try to have these discussions via PM, however the moderator who has asked me to go to white papers does not accept Personal Messages.

I receive Personal Messages from many BITOG members almost every day so my PM Inbox is open to all. I don't lock out anyone because if I can help anyone with a technical question I do that.

So feel free to PM me with a CC to WWilson and any of the other Admin or moderators.

As to the QOTD, it was conceived to be a purely educational thread where a basic Tribology question was asked and answers could be given by anyone if the original post said "Open to All."

The QOTD was not conceived as a forum for protracted discussion, which is why the suggestion was made to Write up a White Paper to address any further technical material one would wish to contribute on any topic, including those in QOTD. The White Paper section is open to any BITOG member to submit technical material at any time.

I should add that at least three recent QOTD questions were open to engineering disciplines and only one engineer answered.

For very basic questions, sometimes we posted that the question was off limits to engineering disciplines and others because non-engineering members needed time to research the topic, whereas engineering disciplines might shoot off an answer immediately and this discouraged some of the non-engineering members who felt, "Why should I answer if the expert has already answered."

It became a Moderated thread because some members (not you) were posting trash and off topic stuff that had nothing to do with a serious technical question. Responses to QOTD go into a special queue awaiting approval so non-topical stuff can be removed. So while a member has responded to the QOTD, he may see a delay in its posting because of the queue.

MolaKule

Last edited:
Interesting...the few times that I tried a few weeks ago came up with a large full screen message that this member was not receiving personal messages.

Tried just then and did not receive the message, but had previously a half dozen times...

Originally Posted by Garak
I think what I like to see is the answers expounded upon a little where possible. There's a valuable place somewhere between a white paper and a one word answer.

And that is what has been attempted. I.e., a summary explanation is given after the answer is given in order to provide a bit more background.

Last edited:
Interesting...the few times that I tried a few weeks ago came up with a large full screen message that this member was not receiving personal messages.

Tried just then and did not receive the message, but had previously a half dozen times...

Don't know what happened but as long as I have been a member here (17 years) I have always been able to receive personal messages from any BITOG member.

Here is a paste from my Preferences:

Hide your online status
Yes No

Email and Private Message Preferences
Accept Private Messages from other users
Yes No

Receive an email when you receive a Private Message
Yes No

Last edited:
Yes, strange...I could reply to that one with you and addguy...couldn't initiate one...Oh well, fixed now.

Yes, strange...I could reply to that one with you and addguy...couldn't initiate one...Oh well, fixed now.

Here is a suggestion:

In the White Paper Forum there is no real formalism involved and it does not have to have the Heading "White Paper."

Simply Title your discussion as with any other forum and maybe start off by saying something such as:

"In one of the Questions of the Day, a question regarding mechanical stresses was asked. I would like to provide some additional information on mechanical stresses and how one might process parts to improve strength and reduce stresses........."

cool.gif

We can all benefit from each others experiences and academics.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
And that is what has been attempted. I.e., a summary explanation is given after the answer is given in order to provide a bit more background.

Certainly. We also have seen many times the misuse of the Question of the Day section, as you noted, and the moderation helps. "What kind of food should I buy my dog?" is certainly not a question of the day with respect to the science and technology of lubrication and additives, and we did see a number that did not fit.

Also, if the white paper section isn't going to be completely formal, that's helpful, too.

Certainly. We also have seen many times the misuse of the Question of the Day section, as you noted, and the moderation helps. "What kind of food should I buy my dog?" is certainly not a question of the day with respect to the science and technology of lubrication and additives, and we did see a number that did not fit.

Also, if the white paper section isn't going to be completely formal, that's helpful, too.

I have suggested we change the White Paper forum title to, Technical Articles by BITOG Members.
. As far as I know, the White Papers forum has never excluded ANY BITOG member from posting ANY technical information on oil, etc.

Last edited:
...Note, I would normally try to have these discussions via PM, however the moderator who has asked me to go to white papers does not accept Personal Messages.

That is not correct.

On 4/13/2019 I sent a Private Message (as part of my Moderator Duties) to both Shannow and one other person regarding some unbecoming conduct in the Humor Forum.

On 4/16/2019 I received a message from Shannow stating that:
Removed response...

Back to .....

On 5/11/2019, I received a response from Shannow that:
Shannow has removed themself from this conversation.

Since no response was requested I did not respond any further.

So I have received only those two messages from Shannow, and never any expressing concerns over the QOTD.

Just wanted to clarify the above and iterate that my Private Message Inbox has been open to all BITOG members for the last 17 years.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I know several people have been using the White Paper section over the years with some great posts, but the title of the subforum is a bit intimidating.

And we see where many authors (including Shannow and others) have some submitted some good material to:

Technical and White Papers

under the Major Forum heading of:

Science and Technology of Oils and Lubricant Additives

The three SubForums are:

Interesting Articles - People find pertinent articles from Professional Sources or the Web and post them there,

Question of the Day - As already Explained above,

Technicial and White Papers - Where BITOG members do their OWN research on a topic and speak to the topic In their own words, and where ALL members can see the information and provide feedback and discussion.

So there are plenty of avenues and subforums where people can post technical information.

Last edited:
And we see where many authors (including Shannow and others) have some submitted some good material to:

Absolutely, and I hope it gets more use. In the absence, at least for now, of a place for discussing the hypothetical matters, might the white papers be the best place, or do we want more rigour?

I have moved some of the more technical topics and discussions from the Lubrication and General Automotive forum to the Technical and White Papers Forum which seems to be more suited for Applied and Theoretical topics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back