Are all JASO FD the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Board, long time no see!
lol.gif

My question is simple and should be a piece of cake for the more knowledgeable folk here.

I have a 2 stroke dirtbike (Honda CR250) used for riding up in the mountains in Greece. I am currently running Motorex Cross Power 2T in it, and it does a good job. When I tore the engine down for a top end refresh the power valve was clean. Now, this Motorex oil has a classification JASO FD and it costs a cool €17/liter.

I found locally another oil, Gulf Pride 2T Plus if that is of any use, that is semi-synthetic and it has the same classification. Moreover, it is on the official JASO list of certified oils - the Motorex is not. Gulf price: €5.50/liter

My question is since both oils carry the same classification, can we expect that they both do the same job in terms of lubrication, cleanliness and all those nice properties? Will all FD rated oils do pretty much the same job?

Granted, compared to the other costs it will not break the bank, but I don't like to pay for the pretty picture of the dirtbike on the bottle!

Thanks!

Nikos

Surprised there are no responses. I'll take a shot. I believe some oils will run cleaner than others. For example I've heard AMSOIL runs clean but runs off during storage. You have to decide if the money saved is worth it to you to try another oil. I, myself have been running quicksilver full sun snowmobile oil that I got on clearance for $10/gal at Walmart for my 02 kdx220. It meets rating FD so it's good enough for me. I believe the rating have more to do with amount of smoke and cleanliness more than anything. Higher the letter, lower smoke. Good luck in making your decision and ride on!

It really strikes me that we don't have more replies, I know that there have been much more heated debates over trivial stuff here. Who knows, maybe this is trivial too!

On the other hand, from the cheapest to the most expensive, the difference is 3 times the price. I think this is quite striking for oils that supposedly satisfy the same specification.

So, I will put here some data for some of the oils I am considering once I am through my motorex 2t oil,

First, the cheap and cheerful Gulf
MSDS
TDS

Then, the semi-syn shell ultra vsx2
TDS
MSDS

Then, the fully syn shell advance ultra 2t
TDS
MSDS

and finally the boutique motorex cross power 2t

TDS
MSDS

The prices in € are as follows: gulf: 5.5/lt shell vsx: 7/lt, shell ultra 2t: 8/lt and motorex 17/lt
All are JASO FD

So, which one would you choose?

Shell advance ultra...

Jaso FC/FD is standard from 90's...and it did not change alot since then...thats by my opinion the main reason why so many 2stroke oils can achieve that standard...

What I look when I choose 2stroke oil is its oilbase (synthetic or ester)...its cst @100C...the ticker the better...and its flaspoint (too high means that your muffler will be clogged soon)

My local choice is OMV 2T-S....it can be mixed UO to the 1:100 ratio (thats a very good sign that oil is advanced)...I mix between 2-3%...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ematrans.bg/index.php/bg/masla/omv/motorni-masla/item/download/428_607c9f175ad7f0bca93d8efc8b0bb722&ved=2ahUKEwihl6bwgZLiAhWDPFAKHYhOCt4QFjAOegQIBhAH&usg=AOvVaw2lUOvsxEOz-wIXsBgNRTes

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nikolas
It really strikes me that we don't have more replies, I know that there have been much more heated debates over trivial stuff here.

I've always found it intriguing what subjects get traction and what doesn't on this site.

The FD rating is mainly about ''smoke'' - they don't like 2 strokes, and they don't want to see them smoking...the lubricity of FB, FC and FD is pretty much the same, the smoke levels less and less. I'm running FB in my scooter at the moment, it is supposed to be on full synthetic FD because it has a cat. It's not causing any problems, and it'll be back on FD when some turns up on special. I like to run Castrol TTS....the last few years it's been smelling different to other synthetic 2 stroke oils, and the earlier TTS. Still my preferred go to 2 stroke oil.

I guess I should start a thread about gearbox oil for that bike, and state that I am proudly using tractor transmission oil
lol.gif

No, really I am!

In any case, I might try a bottle of the shell ultra stuff, what can go wrong?

STOU/UTTO(UTF) oils are almost all GL4 specd...with elevated P/Zn levels (higher ZDDP)...so yes why not
smile.gif

EDIT: for an engine lubrication....only STOU oil can/must be used!!!

Last edited:
Would this work? https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/OUTDOOR_POWER/663091002
Qualifies for FD and also ISO-L-EGD. It's what I use in my air cooled 2-stoke OPE. It is generally one of the cheaper choices I've found, but not sure of the availability in Greece.

Or this: https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/SNOWMOBILE/663092002
same qualifications, but of "vehicle" applications (snowmobile and PWC 2-strokes) both air and liquid cooled. Specifically states it can be used in motorcycles.
Again - not sure if you'll find it in Greece.

I highly suspect they are essentially the same product with different marketing approaches. Both are FD licensed (certified).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Would this work?

All good advice, but it is impossible to find this brand locally.

We'll see, either more motorex or some shell, depends on the mood

I mostly posted this thread because I found it interesting the price range of oils satisfying the same spec. And the nature of the beast being total loss, you only see the results after the fact. This coupled with the nice dirtbike graphics got me thinking
grin.gif

For the few liters that I go through in a year's worth of riding, it won't break the bank. Both motorex and shell burn clean, maybe shell a little cleaner in terms of exhaust residue. On the other hand motorex kept the power valve clean. I guess you can't go wrong with either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back