Aftermarket Radiator Hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4
While getting into a radiator change process, I am thinking to change the radiator hoses.
AutoZone has Dayco and Advanced has CARQUEST (by Dayco). They seem cheap for what they are for this vehicle. (28.00)
The inside of my thermostat housing is also starting to show some pitting, so figured I should change that. Autozone has Doorman and Advanced has Motorcraft.

The question is are the aftermarket hoses and housing any good...at least as good as dealer part or do I pay extra to get from dealer?

I have had good luck with the aftermarket name brands for that, but also use OEM often enough. Does Ford still have the part? They should, but you know how these things go. It's getting up in age. That brings the second factor. How long do you plan on keeping it and what's the price difference?

I put a Dayco rad hose on my F-150 back in 2002 and it's still alive. When I did a couple changes on the Audi 200 back when, I used OEM, simply because I was able to get OEM at a very attractive price.

My last Dayco hose (a heater hose) came new with 2 holes in it:
[Linked Image]

Starting to show some pitting probably isn't a justification to change it, I mean if original it has lasted 21 years already.

I'll echo what Chris wrote, Dayco and Gates are both good, but you might find parts like this cheaper at Rock Auto, maybe even throw in another part or two that you might need soon enough if shipping from the same warehouse so there is little if any extra shipping charge.

I thought the hoses always had those holes in them. They're always where they mount on to a flange and a little strip of plastic runs through them.

My understanding was it was done this way so that people couldn't try the hose, then return it. In order to try the hose you have to cut the strip of plastic.

Or maybe for hanging? The holes are not where the pressure is though so it shouldn't cause a problem right?

Hanging for sure, you can tell if someone tried the hose on and return, you can always return and say it doesn't fit or it is leaking if they want to. (are you going to say no it is working fine it is not leaking?)

+1 for Dayco and Gates. The other option is silicone hoses, but it is probably not necessary for your application. It does seem reasonable to change them out due to age at this point.

The plastic is for hanging up the hose in inventory. Most aftermarket hoses are made a little too long, so you can trim off that end where the holes are.

They are for hanging but not from the manufacturer, it is done either at the store or the warehouse. The local Napa uses slip on hooks to hang them, I got one from a store one time that had the holes beyond the fitting and no extra to cut off.

I've gotten a set for my accord like that when I replaced my radiator. Figured I'd replace my original hoses on a 250k mile car till the set came like the ones you got. I didn't have enough to cut so I reused my old ones. Made it till almost 300k when I traded the car in without leaking, but I had the hood open all the time to fill the oil on it and always put my eyes on them and/or felt that they didn't feel like they were about to let go.

Originally Posted by Trav
They are for hanging but not from the manufacturer, it is done either at the store or the warehouse. The local Napa uses slip on hooks to hang them, I got one from a store one time that had the holes beyond the fitting and no extra to cut off.

Wow that SUCKS, what were they thinking.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
Originally Posted by Trav

Wow that SUCKS, what were they thinking.

We will hire people from parts houses and have to break them of a lot of bad habits. Some take longer than others.

I am so glad I read the post about the holes in the hose, now I know what to look for.
Went to AutoZone today and they had the hanging clips...but also had the holes with the broken red hanging tabs still hanging through the hose. There were multiple sets of holes, I guess the plastic hanging method must have broke too many times that they decided to use a hanging hook instead.
Went to Advanced and they were creative with a shower hook hanger and shower ring, no holes...at least on the upper. Will see tomorrow on the lower hose that was ordered today.
[Linked Image]

When considering Dayco vs. OEM, please be aware that Dayco likely is the OEM.

You'd be amazed how many "OEM" parts leave Dayco's factory with OEM printing on it to be sent off to the OEM factory.

When I went to replace the tensioner, belt, and pullies on my Cummins Rams, the Chrysler manual listed Dayco as the OEM for all three parts.

The Dayco hose in the picture was actually from Advanced. Autozone had holes and a hanger.
Ordered lower hose from Advanced and it came in with no holes as well.
I was hesitant to order online, because I would imagine online sources are warehoused as well. I wanted to see the part before accepting delivery and didn't want to deal with returns and extra time to do returns if it came in with holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back