Thinking of trying something else.....1st post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys and gals,

few questions for you all.

Just changed the oil in my 2010 3.0V6 Chevy Equinox. I've owned since new and have always used M1 5W30. I changed it yesterday to the High Mileage version because it has 117K miles on it and it was on sale at BJ's. I've used Mobil 1 for the better part of 30yrs and have never had any issues with it. Anyone with any experience with the High Mileage version of it? I might only keep it in for 4K miles. I've always used either a K&N(no more because one leaked on me through the welded nut, glad I caught it) or a Mobil1 filter and always had a FilterMag attached to it.

2nd car is getting due for a change too. It's a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo with the 6spd manual. I bought it with 6K miles on it. Currently has 72K miles. Always Mobil 1 again with either a AC Delco or K&N oil filter. I was thinking of trying something different since I now live in FL and the summer heat down here is pretty brutal. I know the engine requires 5W30 but for summer driving could I use a heavier weight in it? I'm willing to hear opinions on different oil but after all this time I'm still a firm believer in Mobil 1.

Neither vehicle leaks or burns any oil.

Thanks all!

Originally Posted by mrgto
Hi guys and gals,

Just changed the oil in my 2010 3.0V6 Chevy Equinox. I've owned since new and have always used M1 5W30. I changed it yesterday to the High Mileage version because it has 117K miles on it and it was on sale at BJ's. I've used Mobil 1 for the better part of 30yrs and have never had any issues with it. Anyone with any experience with the High Mileage version of it? I might only keep it in for 4K miles. I've always used either a K&N(no more because one leaked on me through the welded nut, glad I caught it) or a Mobil1 filter and always had a FilterMag attached to it.

2nd car is getting due for a change too. It's a 2013 Buick Verano Turbo with the 6spd manual. I bought it with 6K miles on it. Currently has 72K miles. Always Mobil 1 again with either a AC Delco or K&N oil filter. I was thinking of trying something different since I now live in FL and the summer heat down here is pretty brutal. I know the engine requires 5W30 but for summer driving could I use a heavier weight in it? I'm willing to hear opinions on different oil but after all this time I'm still a firm believer in Mobil 1.

Thanks all!

No idea on your oil change interval..you said its due..

If you want to try something different step up to the Fram XG series (which is currently a forum favorite).

As for 'heavier weight' for 'brutal' heat.. Not sure but that Turbo probably has an oil cooler along with a well functioning cooling system so no real sense in bumping up 'weight'.

Mobil 1 is a solid choice.. there are better and worse choices.

I am brand new to the site myself. Well, actually I have been reading forums for quite some time. Just finally decided to make an account to engage a little more with topics.
I have used the M1 HM several times in 5w-30. I have used it in my 2005 5.3 Sierra and an 2001 s10. I liked how it ran in both of those vehicles just fine.

However, I only the HM version to address some leaky valve covers on both and a rear main seal in the sierra. I can confirm that it stopped the valve cover leaks in both vehicles. It helped with the rear main seal leak..but didn't stop it completely.

From what I have read on here, most modern day 5w-30 are extremely stout, especially the synthetics, compared to oils 10-15 years ago. I would say there is no need at all to go heavier, stick with manufacturer recommend weight and sleep well at night. M1 5w-30 should serve you more than enough for summer driving, assuming you stick to reasonable oil change intervals. If you like the M1 stick with it and find a quality filter you like.

If neither vehicle leaks or burns, I would say there is no need for the HM. But...I don't think the HM would hurt anything. Some on here have claimed the M1 HM 30 weight is a tad thicker than other M1 30 weights.

I am sure others will chime with their experiences.

welcome2.gif

I live in South Texas. Same climate as Florida, brutal heat, already in the 90s in January. Except no rain at all.

Any oil works.

Hi guys and gals,

Just changed the oil in my 2010 3.0V6 Chevy Equinox. I've owned since new and have always used M1 5W30. I changed it yesterday to the High Mileage version because it has 117K miles on it and it was on sale at BJ's. I've used Mobil 1 for the better part of 30yrs and have never had any issues with it. Anyone with any experience with the High Mileage version of it?

Thanks all!

Don't use high mileage oil if you don't leak or burn oil. The seal swellers in them just wear the seals out faster if there was no play so now they are lower density and more friction as a result.

I would immediately get that oil out before it puts unnecessary wear on your seals. Put it in a quart at a time on subsequent oil changes if you're too frugal to throw it away but it is only bad for seals that don't need swollen.

Last edited:
Hi guys and gals,

Thanks all!

Only problem is Mobil1 HM is not Dexos approved. The only one I can think about at this time is Valvoline Maxlife that is Dexos approved.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Don't use high mileage oil if you don't leak or burn oil. The seal swellers in them just wear the seals out faster if there was no play so now they are lower density and more friction as a result.

I would immediately get that oil out before it puts unnecessary wear on your seals. Put it in a quart at a time on subsequent oil changes if you're too frugal to throw it away but it is only bad for seals that don't need swollen.

Umm, no. Just no. Nothing here is correct.

High mileage oil can be used at any time with no ill effects to the engine seals.
You can use it one time, then not for 100,000 miles, use it the whole 100,000 miles, or anything in between and you engine seals will not care.

Originally Posted by blupupher

You can use it one time, then not for 100,000 miles, use it the whole 100,000 miles, or anything in between and you engine seals will not care.

^This
I have gone back and forth between regular synthetic and HM synthetic, or between syn, syn blend, and dino on several cars and never had a problem as long as the oil meets spec. Recently I have paid more attention to approvals, but i realize these are not necessarily required. For example, boutique non-approved oils like amsoil or redline are probably better than approved oils; they not only lube your engine really well, but they also give you a warm fuzzy feeling that almost justifies the cost.

Last edited:
Just pick the bottle and label design you like best, in whatever spec your car requires. Life is too short to use oil you don't like.

You won't see a real world difference.

Use a name brand oil that has the proper spec listed in owners manual. Owners manual also has viscosity chart by temp. Get an oil that will be inside the viscosity chart. Most people can run a single oil year round. You do not worry about the one day it gets to 95 degrees if the rest of the summer is 85. Then fit your temp ranges into viscosity chart.

Avoid buying oil at dollar stores.

Hi guys and gals,

Thanks all!
\
Don't mess with anything, except the length of your OCIs..... and that's a maybe.
You never mentioned your driving habits,..... city/highway ratio and length of miles on a daily commute.

All modern day oil of the same approvals are equal, you can use any of them with the same results. Decades ago it wasnt the same and the reason it wasnt the same is simply because the approvals/API standards were not nearly as high that they are today. Oil pretty much is max'd out all one needs to do with any brand is change it on time and the engine will last longer then the vehicle.

I do believe, we are now at the point, that its not about oil that will add long life to an engine vs actual design of the engine that determines its life.

We all do what feels right to us and your track record with Mobile 1 understandably makes you feel confident in the product so there is certainly nothing wrong with being loyal to a product.

If you are paying for Mobil 1 … well use it's capabilities … those vehicles should have good OLM systems …
Is the BV a 1.4T ? I buy Hengst filters off eBay for those … excellent quality …

Im in a lot hotter climate than Florida and for normal everyday driving which does include towing at WOT nothing but 20 and 30 grades are used.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by Dave9

Umm, no. Just no. Nothing here is correct.

High mileage oil can be used at any time with no ill effects to the engine seals.

You are 100% wrong and apparently don't understand chemistry, seals, or science in general.

If it didn't swell the seals then would they make the claim it does? Do you not understand friction?

If this was a magic bullet that had no ill effects, it would be in all oil.

It is a last ditch effort to keep oil under control... okay really 2nd to last ditch, last ditch is thicker oil. NEVER EVER use it if you don't have oil loss from leaks or burning. It will not implode your engine before you get down the block, but it will cause harm (seal degradation) in an engine that does not need it.

Think about it. Do manufacturers deliberately design seals that are too small and need swollen? If not, what do you expect to gain from a seal sweller which changes the dimensions from the design and inherent in swelling is always a decrease in density?

Just no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Please stop giving harmful advice.

I wonder if you even understand how seals work.

Last edited:
Do note that most HM oils these days are GF-5. In the years past, especially when seal warnings first came about, HM oils were not ILSAC approved and sometimes not even API approved. Some still are that way; many are not. As it stands, we do have HM oils that are dexos1 certified. How can a dexos1, SN/GF-5 oil not be suitable for a brand new vehicle, when the specifications listed are exactly what a new General Motors vehicle would call for? Is GM issuing dexos1 licenses to oils that aren't suitable for GM engines?

So additional seal conditioners will now harm your engine. What theory will BITOG cook up next?

coffee2.gif

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 is API SN Plus and ACEA A3/B3 with an HTHS of 3.5 cP and NOACK of 7.6%. API SN/SN+ requires ASTM D7216 testing for elastomer seal compatibility. It wouldn't have the classification if it didn't meet the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back