Summer gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by badduxx
Wrong. Defense spending is not more than social programs.

Yes, in the U.S.

I mean the cost of the U.S. military compared to other countries with, for example, "free" medical social programs.

In the earlier post, social programs took the hit for higher gas prices. I compared, or tried to and failed, the cost of those programs to that of the U.S. military because they'd likely be as expensive, but that the large U.S. population spreads the cost more easily. But gas taxes still hit both.

Exactly, those pesky facts.

Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, all Social Programs spend 3x as much as Defense.

Facts are not political, they are just facts.

Originally Posted by badduxx
Wrong. Defense spending is not more than social programs.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/53624

Primary sources people.

According to the CIA World Fact Book the UK (which So celebrates its social medicine system they did a skit about it at the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics) Defense Budget is 44.7B USD and when divided by the population of 66M is about 700 USD per capita to defend 94,000 sq miles of territory, or 2.5% of the US land area. The United States spend$590B on Defense, which divided by 327M people is about 1800 per capita to defend 3.737M sq miles of territory to defend 50x more area, plus it's involvement in overseas action and assistance.

How is that more proportionally?

Originally Posted by grampi
I thought we weren't supposed to complain about high gas prices? I'm sure the big oil cheerleaders will jump in soon to scold all of us...

I didn't. I pumped at $3.95 yesterday for 87 and about $4.15 the week before (different cars). Then again, I always buy vehicles assuming the day of $5 / gal will return (during 2008 or 2009, I forgot).

I stopped by my newly rebuilt Shell station the other day for some OPE 93 AKI gas and was astounded by the mark-up over 87!

87: $2.99

93: $3.99!!!

I only got 1.5 gal, more than enough for my near-term yard work needs, but man was that painful.

I seriously hope my wife isn't filling-up our FXT there!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I stopped by my newly rebuilt Shell station the other day for some OPE 93 AKI gas and was astounded by the mark-up over 87!

87: $2.99

93: $3.99!!!

I only got 1.5 gal, more than enough for my near-term yard work needs, but man was that painful.

I seriously hope my wife isn't filling-up our FXT there!

Yeah, they've been gouging for premium for quite a while now...

Just checked the Shell nearby.

Regular. $3.63

Mid. $3.83

Premium. $4.07

Prices are going up steadily as is typical at this time of year.

Originally Posted by pandus13
$3.39

Ouch, and I can't talk about what is being discussed in Springfield.

But I did buy gas in STL today for $2.699 for RUG

I'm driving the 99 MGM for another week while the Mazda3 gets the dents and scratches I installed de-installed.

JavaContour,
Yup....
Imagine my shock some years ago when I visited Myrtle Beach and the gas in a tourist trap was an expensive $1.99 ......

RE: "while the Mazda3 gets the dents and scratches I installed de-installed." :
Come ON,give us a story.... (your stories are always good!)

The story is when I told my wife I scraped a post in a parking garage trying to miss a car coming the other way.

She asked why I didn't just stop. I said because you were not there to tell me what to do.

She laughed.

I managed to get the passenger rear door, fender and bumper cover. But I missed the car coming the other way.

Originally Posted by pandus13
JavaContour,
Yup....
Imagine my shock some years ago when I visited Myrtle Beach and the gas in a tourist trap was an expensive $1.99 ......

RE: "while the Mazda3 gets the dents and scratches I installed de-installed." :
Come ON,give us a story.... (your stories are always good!)

Rolled into a station with the Edge and Premium was $4.05. Kept driving.

Don't forget there's a significant portion of the population that loves high gas prices and a lot of them would love $7 or higher.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Rolled into a station with the Edge and Premium was $4.05. Kept driving.

Don't forget there's a significant portion of the population that loves high gas prices and a lot of them would love $7 or higher.

"Significant" is a gross exaggeration.

I truly think that the way to move technology forward the fastest is to have fuel prices continue to rise the point where we as consumers DEMAND cheaper alternatives, but that doesn't mean I love anything about it. I own two vehicles that are middling in gas mileage and plan to keep them for a long time. Why? Because we'll either find more oil to suck up or different ways to do so, depending on the price of a barrel of oil.

//

Also, I keep seeing posts on here about unleaded gasoline or RUG. I truly don't understand the point of referring to gasoline as unleaded any longer. Leaded gasoline is by far and large, NOT used by any one driving on the interstate. There are likely not many vehicles that need alternative lead additives for their ANCIENT vehicles, either.

If you race or fly, that's fine. But there's no need to call gas anything other than gas or E-whatever these days.

To update, gas prices have fallen significantly since my last post here. Around here, ~$2.35 a gallon for regular including the station that went to $2.85 in last post. I'm also now earning Fuel Points for grocery shopping. Last fill up, paid ~$1.78/gal with 60 cents off a gallon. Filled a couple vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back