B52's in Qatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never actually seen a video of a B-52 taking off. Here's one. Try avoid the politics.
smile.gif

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...d-iran-threat/ar-AABakZk?ocid=spartandhp

Last edited:
I think I remember reading , the early B-52's had early turbo jets ( fuel hungry ) . I think the later / H models had an early turbofan with greater fuel economy & thrust .

I have set in the right hand side of a B-52 , years ago ( on the runway ) . Not high tech looking , but given sufficent tanker support , it could fly to any spot on earth and deliver " special weapons " . The real deal !

Last I heard , they may be almost 100 years old when they stop flying them ? I suppose we tax payer have gotten out $$$ out of those air frames !

I worked on B52s in the Air Force 66-70.

Lots of sheet metal to keep together .

Lots of smoke on take off ,lots of noise who could ask for more?

It was good to be on the delivering end of things and not the receiving end.

Lots of woop [censored] there.

TOMB

Last edited:
A number of months back I was seeing YouTube ads promoting re-engining the B-52. I forget who they were paid for by.

What a weird place to "advertise" that. Videos on YouTube to random people??

They are beautiful birds and I had the privilege of upgrading and re-hardening some of the avionics while at the big B.

Originally Posted by buck91
I love the mandatory viewing of the full length pharmaceutical ad...
Just search YouTube for B52 bomber. You'll be watching and reading for days!

There are some interesting videos of buffs doing cross wind landings.

Also, some pilots are flying the same planes their grandfathers flew when they were B52 pilots. Three generations of buff pilots and there will likely be a fourth the way things are going.

My grandfather spent some time in Qatar during his time in the USAF. He still has good things to say about his experience there and the people (although the heat is obnoxious).

How much $$ did it cost to move them to Qatar? I do not know all the ordinance a B52 can handle but it would seem if we wanted to do something in Iran we would use a B2.

Originally Posted by Donald
How much $$ did it cost to move them to Qatar? I do not know all the ordinance a B52 can handle but it would seem if we wanted to do something in Iran we would use a B2.

Just 1 B-2 is worth over $2,000,000,000.00. Yes. 2 Billion dollars. In my opinion (and I'm a huge supporter of the military), that's a colossal waste. I think that money would be a lot better spent to support defense in other ways. But anyway...

It does seem pretty risky to even think about the idea of sending the B-2 or B-52 into Iran. I'm quite sure Iran has the latest, greatest Russian SAMs.

A massive cruise missile strike is a more likely scenario, IMHO. I think the B-52s being deployed over there is just us shaking a big stick. Not saying we'd never do it (I like the idea of never taking any option off the table), but things would have to get pretty bad for us to send B-52s into Iran, because there would almost certainly be losses to SAMs.

Originally Posted by Donald

It is free money that grows on trees.

I used to refuel the B52H models. 50,000 gallons of jet fuel. Back then (late sixties) the ones with nukes had AGAM's under their wings (Air to ground attack missile). The AGAM's actually had a small jet engine and were sort of an early version of a cruise missile. The idea was the AGAM's would penetrate enemy air space first and wreak such havoc that the B52 could penetrate and release their bombs on target. There would be good reason to use a modern version of that strategy on Iran (just like in Iraq). Go in first with cruise missles and other stealthy weapons. Follow up with the B52's after degrading the defenses. Having the B52's relatively close makes it possible to turn them around faster for another sortie. However, if we were planning a first strike, a lot more assets would be moving right now.

I read in the news this morning that Iran's response to the re-positioning of forces is a form of psychological warfare. I laughed out loud. No, duh, Iran!

There is absolutely zero chance of us sending a B52 into Iranian airspace, even if Iran does something stupid.

B52's are configured for cruise missiles. No need to penetrate Iran's air space. Great weapon for a measured response.

Originally Posted by redbone3
B52's are configured for cruise missiles. No need to penetrate Iran's air space. Great weapon for a measured response.

Good point. And with the aircraft carrier we're sending, there's the capability for F/A-18s to go in if they have to.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if we had a guided missile sub or 2 in the area, also.

My Dad was Air Force when I was a little kid. We lived on an SAC base with about a dozen B-52s. They'd rattle stuff out of the cupboards when the were scrambled. My Mom had to put wooden spoons thru the handles to keep them shut. I still love to watch those birds fly.

Originally Posted by Wheel
My Dad was Air Force when I was a little kid. We lived on an SAC base with about a dozen B-52s. They'd rattle stuff out of the cupboards when the were scrambled. My Mom had to put wooden spoons thru the handles to keep them shut. I still love to watch those birds fly.
Just watch B-1 bombers taking off over a city. Car alarms go off in parking lots. Saw that a couple of times, with those 4 big GE F101 engines in take-off thrust. .... In Palmdale, use to love to see the B-2 stealth bomber fly from it's factory there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back