Engagement/Wedding Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you go about getting an engagement/wedding ring for your wife?

I'm getting ready to pop the question, and starting to look around, but there are so many websites and each site has hundreds, if not thousands, of choices.

Prices range from a few hundred dollars, on up to tens of thousands.

I am a guy who likes value. I'm not a tightwad; when I buy a high-ticket item, I tend to do a lot of research and go with something that is quality, but not necessarily "top-of-the-line". I usually go with something that is, on a scale of 1-10, maybe a 7 or 8.

So, how do you get a lot for your money with engagement/wedding rings?

She says she likes the "vintage" style rings, and has sent me photos of a few "wedding sets", which is an engagement ring and a wedding ring that come as a set and fit together.

Any advice on where to buy and how to get a good deal?

Thanks...

I bought from Jared, which I'm sure I paid a bit more than I could have through Blue Nile, etc. But I like how many locations there are to maintain warranty, which has already paid for itself.

When I bought the engagement ring for my wife I asked her to tell me 3 characteristics of her dream big. She told me cushion cut, split band and halo. I took those three requirements and started shopping around. Funny enough, the first one I considered ended up being the one I went with.

It's completely anecdotal, but perhaps try that approach. Have her give you one or two must haves. That will narrow down the field considerably to where it'd be difficult to go wrong.

Back to the warranty thing, BUY IT, but you have to be serious of going in every 6 months for your check-ups. She's had the center prong re-centered and 2 or 3 of the halo diamonds replaced. Didn't cost me a penny.

Your timing for this post is incredible. I am currently working with Brian Gavin Diamonds on a diamond for my significant other. They are truly a first-class operation and they have a reputation in the industry for being a cutter of super-ideal diamonds.

Spend some time on the pricescope forums; they are the BITOGers of diamonds.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/rockytalky.3/

I'm sure I'll get crap for this post but...

Been widowed twice. Second wife was very leery of diamonds because of the blood diamond stories of fifteen years ago, so she wanted a Moissanite. She only wore it for five years before passing away, so can't say much about durability. Certainly cost me a lot more than a zirc. but much less than a diamond. Sitting in a storage box somewhere. Maybe I'll give it to her daughter if she ever gets married.

https://www.creditdonkey.com/moissanite-diamond.html

OP,
Not much help with diamonds, Have none. (Financial advice stops here :^) )

We choose the wedding rings (bands) together.
The engagement ring, was a surprise, I had to go through some work to get the size (Oh the being young times....)

If memory not mistaken, they where couple more threads in the past.

Good luck and All the best

FWIW 20 years ago I got my wife's $4000 diamond ring at a jewelry store that was closing for $800!
25.gif

Originally Posted by John_K
FWIW 20 years ago I got my wife's $4000 diamond ring at a jewelry store that was closing for $800!
25.gif

Wow! I need a deal like that!

Originally Posted by john_pifer
How did you go about getting an engagement/wedding ring for your wife?

I'm getting ready to pop the question, and starting to look around, but there are so many websites and each site has hundreds, if not thousands, of choices.

Prices range from a few hundred dollars, on up to tens of thousands.

I am a guy who likes value. I'm not a tightwad; when I buy a high-ticket item, I tend to do a lot of research and go with something that is quality, but not necessarily "top-of-the-line". I usually go with something that is, on a scale of 1-10, maybe a 7 or 8.

So, how do you get a lot for your money with engagement/wedding rings?

She says she likes the "vintage" style rings, and has sent me photos of a few "wedding sets", which is an engagement ring and a wedding ring that come as a set and fit together.

Any advice on where to buy and how to get a good deal?

Thanks...

I bought one for my wife at Blue Nile website. I think they are pretty honest with respect to diamond grading. I think a lot of store will rip you off. They know a lot more about diamond grades than you do.

Wherever you go you will need to know her ring size. You can get a ring re-sized but only a little. Most jewelry stores have a wire loop with all the ring sizes on it. You keep trying until you find one that fits. Beware the actual ring size changes winter to summer and morning to evening. Not much, but a little.

Unsure how to surprise future wife with engagement ring if you do not know the size?

ShaneCo.

How important is it to your betrothed that the rock is big? I prefer to spend money on a higher quality stone that doesn't have inclusions you can spot from 10 feet away than the absolute biggest stone. Though your soon to be might be just the opposite. Same goes for color... you can spend a lot less is you don't mind it looking like toilet water...
lol.gif

You should at least go somewhere where they will spend some time with you and show you a bunch of stuff... For me Shane is such a place.

If she's sending you pictures, I assume this isn't going to be a huge surprise and you're pretty sure she will say yes... might as well just take her shopping... IMO

Last edited:
4Cs of Diamonds:

You've probably heard about the 4Cs of a diamond, and you may even know that it stands for cut, color, clarity and carat weight.

The better the 4C's the more it cost.

I replaced my wife original cheap diamond with close to a gem quality. Cost me close to 20K. When my wife went to work with the new diamond on it was sparkling and all the girls comment how nice it was.

Like the old saying "You get what you pay for"

Check https://www.bluenile.com/ and decide on the spec's you want in her diamond. My son just purchase one from them. A very nice diamond.

I got engaged and married in the 90's. My wife and I had been dating for a while and new the direction we were headed so we started ring shopping together. Basically I wanted to make darn sure she got what she wanted and not something she hated. I pretty much let her show me what she liked and we had about 3 rings she said she loved. I ended up buying from a small jewelry store that had been in business forever and had a great reputation. I went in there one day and made a down payment of several grand and then would stop in from time to time and put down more. I did all this on the sly of course. Finally the day came and I paid it off and brought it home. So I had the ring but it took me a few months to get up the nerve to actually pop the question.

One thing we did do after she started wearing it was to get it appraised so we could get it insured. It appraised for a little more than I paid so that made me feel good about the sale price. The price of a ring though is a tough one. How much to spend? Can you tell the difference between $800 and $8000 when it comes to an engagement ring? I can't. I know guys who spent a little to one guy who spent about 12K. That's ridiculous in my opinion but they wanted the bragging rights. Whatever, no one will know what you spent unless you tell. Personally I think really expensive jewelry is a waste of money and funny enough my wife has the same opinion. And trust me she makes enough to buy whatever she wants.

Last edited:
My 2c worth is don't go crazy on a trinket - it's simbolic, so get her something tasteful and preferably from a local gem cutter. There are also many artisans online that can create beautiful rings and combine them with any gem for something that is truly unique and meaningful.

FWIW, I'm biased against diamonds. I think they're plain and overpriced.

A woman can tell the difference from a $800 to 8K diamond. I bet it's night and day difference.

Originally Posted by Sonic
I got engaged and married in the 90's. My wife and I had been dating for a while and new the direction we were headed so we started ring shopping together. Basically I wanted to make darn sure she got what she wanted and not something she hated. I pretty much let her show me what she liked and we had about 3 rings she said she loved. I ended up buying from a small jewelry store that had been in business forever and had a great reputation. I went in there one day and made a down payment of several grand and then would stop in from time to time and put down more. I did all this on the sly of course. Finally the day came and I paid it off and brought it home. So I had the ring but it took me a few months to get up the nerve to actually pop the question.

One thing we did do after she started wearing it was to get it appraised so we could get it insured. It appraised for a little more than I paid so that made me feel good about the sale price. The price of a ring though is a tough one. How much to spend? Can you tell the difference between $800 and $8000 when it comes to an engagement ring? I can't. I know guys who spent a little to one guy who spent about 12K. That's ridiculous in my opinion but they wanted the bragging rights. Whatever, no one will know what you spent unless you tell. Personally I think really expensive jewelry is a waste of money and funny enough my wife has the same opinion. And trust me she makes enough to buy whatever she wants.

This is how I feel - I want to make sure she gets something she loves.

One thing that makes our situation a little more complicated is that it's a long-distance relationship at the moment (she lives 7 hours away at the moment, though she's currently making plans to move here).

Originally Posted by mez
Check https://www.bluenile.com/ and decide on the spec's you want in her diamond. My son just purchase one from them. A very nice diamond.

That's what I used when doing my research and subsequent engagement ring purchase, but that was 10 years ago. I'm sure there are other options out there now.

Jewelry is about emotion. And because of that it is typically priced FAR over the cost it took to make and market it. Most new jewelry is marked up 5X to 10X it's actual "sell" value. The jewelers will let you trade something like than in for maybe half or more of what you paid.....assuming you buy another one from them at a much higher price. Take back any jewelry you buy new and see what kind of offers you get......10c to 20c on the dollar might be the norm. Most will refuse to price it as they don't want it back and certainly don't won't to clue you in on its true wholesale value. If they did that they might never see you again.....lol.

My last couple of used, vintage anniversary rings I purchased through the owner of a Pawn/antique/coin shop at a modest markup to their actual purchase cost. I've known him well for years. Settled on a ruby ring on one of those visits. I have a tough time paying $1000 for something that wholesales for $100-$200. Appraisals are meaningless unless it's a firm appraisal to BUY your item for cash on the spot. I got clued in on that 35 yrs ago when my Mom passed away. I inherited her diamond ear rings appraised at $1,000. I took them to the above dealer and found out they were worth $150 cash, tops....and he didn't even want them.....had plenty of similar items....offered me some of his for $200-$250 or so. The appraisers are all part of the same retail game.....to get the most money of you and make you feel like you "got a good deal." They want you emotionally fulfilled such that you would consider returning to them again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mez
A woman can tell the difference from a $800 to 8K diamond. I bet it's night and day difference.

A blind man can see the difference between those two. You can however get a perfectly respectable rock for under $2000. Spending $5000+ is insanity unless your pay is great. Most marriage issues revolve around money so it's suicide dropping big money out of the gate. Same with the huge weddings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back