Rust proofing a new 6.0Rado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new 16 6.0Rado that I drove home from Dave Smith motors and so far it's just sitting in the garage 1023 miles. I want to have a pro get in the inner fender wells and do some serious rust proofing. Any ideas of what would be the best product to use? Based on all of the rusted out 10 year old trucks I see I'm wondering if it's even accessible. Por 15?

Trav had recommended this stuff to me: Rustproofing Compound IMO if you're doing it yourself it is one of the best. It isn't cheap, but it blows Fluid Film away. I did two vehicles twice with it, and I have a little left. I'll probably buy more next year and re-coat them. I touch them up yearly.

Originally Posted by atikovi
What's a 16 6.0Rado?

Likely a 2016 6.0 Silverado? Never heard one called a Rado either.

Hope those miles are getting out and up to speed on the highway for 30 minutes or so every once in a while.

That's pretty old inventory. Don't use por15 because The frame is wax coated. keep the underside coated with something oily. Something like krown is good

POR15 is for old rusty frames that you want to stop from getting worse. It bonds very strong with rust and protects it. On a new frame that has fresh paint, the POR15 would be bonding to the paint. For a new frame it's far better to try to stop rust from forming in the first place eg. regular washing and oil based rust proofing.

I fluid film in the fall and powerwash the underside in the spring to get the salt and gunk off. So far so good.

If DIYing I would go with products demarpaint and Trav mentioned. Properly applied, they are good for several years.
The oil based products require to be applied annually and if done so will work well too. But for a DIY job in a driveway, crawling under the car every year to spray it may not be for everyone.
A truck would be better in that regard as they sit higher, but then they have a lot more nooks and crannies to be sprayed. So it's probably a wash.

I thank God I do not live in the Rust / Salt Belt !

Had one car undercoated to try to cut down on road noise . Could tell little / no difference . Neverto prevent rust .

I was under our 1991 Caprice this last weekend dropping the gas tank , to replace the fule pump & sending unit . Only a tiny amount of surface rust and most of the paint still present ! :) But it only has ~ 47,000 miles on the car .

with more imported parts than other trucks GM trucks need xtra care, even the Tundra is more american!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back