Hummingbird Feeder Leaks/Drips

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hummingbird feeder leaks/drips a lot. How do I stop it from leaking/dripping? Below is a pic of what type it is (mine is taller and holds 32 oz.).
Also, those of you that have hummingbird feeders, what do you use for the food/liquid? I usually use a single pack of non sweetened Kool Aid mix and add sugar.

hummingbird feeder.jpeg

`have had a few that would leak, never could get them to stop,,,finally bought one that I thought was to expensive and it hasn't leaked a drop in 3 years.. I usually use the store bought humming bird food mix

Originally Posted by FT92
`have had a few that would leak, never could get them to stop,,,finally bought one that I thought was to expensive and it hasn't leaked a drop in 3 years.. I usually use the store bought humming bird food mix

Can you please tell me where you bought it? Do you have pics of it?

Just sugar and water. I know a red color helps attract them, but the chemicals in the Kool-Aid might be bad for their high metabolisms. A few drops of food coloring does the trick.

I try and only buy glass ones. I have 12 feeders out now. I have 2 of the ones you pictured and they don't leak although they aren't the large qt size like you have.

I have 8 feeders on my back deck and 4 feeders on a stand in front yard. I did this because one boss male will try and dominate a single feeder so I spread a bunch of smaller ones out.

A friend of mine has some many hummers that he has had to mix one galloon of syrup a day. It's scary how many hummers come to his front porch. He has six huge cheap feeders hanging under the eave of his front porch.
He mixes 3:1 not the recommended 4:1 water to syrup and uses no coloring. It really is exciting to sit on his front porch. It's loud.

To answer your question, if it's screwed on tight and it still leaks I'd either take it back or trash it and get a couple of smaller ones.

Kool aid? JEEPERS! NO !

There are enough Humans drinking the cool aid as it is these days

Strong Sugar water made from boiled water then allowed to cool. I use organic cane sugar from Florida.

I wouldn't even put garbage over-processed white sugar in my tea or coffee - and its not for the birds either

NO Honey! I've read it kills them but I don"t know if that's a myth.

BTW we have the tall bottle with 4 , they all drip a bit but

Last edited:
I have 4 feeders... 3 from Dollar Tree ($1 each).. and 1 nice glass one from Aldi ($10). My neighbor down the road has around 30 hummingbirds, i have about 3 so far.

She uses 1 cup of sugar to 3 quarts of warm water and lets sit overnight in a gallon jug... her birds are very active and happy. She has a few clothes lines set up for them..they seem to love perching up there and fighting amongst each other. She also has trumpet creeper which they seem to love.

I am hoping some of hers come up here but she has a very nice setup for them.

All of her feeders are from Dollar Tree.

I have two older versions of the Walmart First Nature feeder linked below, and they have never leaked. Mine are 16 ounce, but they make a quart size also.

The recipe I commonly see with feeders and around the web is 4:1 water and sugar, boiled and then cooled. The red of the feeder attracts the birds just fine, so no coloring is needed.

First Nature Hummingbird Feeder

Recipe

Get a Huumzinger feeder, they do not drip and also have a moat to prevent ants. Use 4:1 ratio of sugar to water for the syrup and you will have the happiest humming bird community in the area

Thanks for info, guys. I have a hummingbird hitting a quince that is in full bloom. I got the once over by it.It hovered at eye level just out of reach. I think it nests in the coral bark maple.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back