Double pain window noise reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
My house has single pain windows from when the house was built in 79. The frames also rattle in the wind on some of them. If I went to the double pain windows will it make a big difference in noise reduction?

Someone could be out in the street and it sounds like they're on my front porch talking.

Changed out ours 10 years ago. I live on the highway in town. You could hear semi's 3-4 blocks away, trucks with mud tires the same, you could hear the car tires rolling on the pavement. I'm saying there was hardly any noise control. With the new double pane sealed windows you hear the semi or mud tire as they go by. You don't hear the cars hardly at all. BEST thing I've ever done to my house or for me. My wife could not believe the difference when she got home.

Yes. Just installed new vinyl double pane windows and there was a significant noise reduction from 25 year old wood framed double pane windows.

Plus, you will see a reduction in cooling costs.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
My house has single pain windows from when the house was built in 79. The frames also rattle in the wind on some of them. If I went to the double pain windows will it make a big difference in noise reduction?

You'll experience some noise reduction. More importantly you'll experience less solar heat gain because today's windows can be purchased with varying levels of coatings.

I wouldn't entertain triple pane windows in "sub-tropical" Houston Texas. Waste of $$$

double pane windows are great . Don't expect miracles but they cut noise and heat loss. Door seals and insulation are also a part in noise and climate control as well.

Changed mine out about 13 years ago. Its makes a big sound difference. But in Texas the big difference you're going to see is in the cost of running your air-conditioning. Especially if the rest of your house is insulated properly. But it costly.

Me I was lucky my brother in-law is a contractor and he ordered the windows and gave them to me at cost. He was between jobs and had a good crew and wanted to keep them all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
For those that replaced your windows, how much did they set you back?

Special family deal I had several bids that ran from 15 to 20K.
My Brother in-law is a contractor and he had 4 weeks before his next job. He got me 8 Milgard windows Fiberglass not Vinyl.
Total cost windows and labor just over 6K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

Storm windows will help some , with the noise and help on heating & cooling cost . May or may not be less expensive . I would think the labor would be quite a bit less than changing out windows ?

If you're handy, you can build your own insert with a wood frame and acrylic, similar to the Indow Windows. In addition to what the others mention, you can also get multi cell window covers that help insulate from sound and temperature as well. Additional window coverings can help insulate as well.

I'm sure you are hearing about the 10 window deals on the radio … low e glass, argon filled etc … normally tougher glass panes as well … you could look at the noise issue side and the hottest side (if not the same) and probably make a big difference with just 10 upgraded …

Originally Posted by 4WD
I'm sure you are hearing about the 10 window deals on the radio … low e glass, argon filled etc … normally tougher glass panes as well … you could look at the noise issue side and the hottest side (if not the same) and probably make a big difference with just 10 upgraded …

For a long time there was a free upgrade from 7 Windows to 10 Windows. Last I heard Microsoft was still allowing it, but it might go away at any time ..... wait, what ? Oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back