SuperTech - Help! - What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted by PimTac
All it would take is a decent shrink wrap seal on the cap.

This is one reason I like the Havoline Smart Change box. That would be much harder to get away with this kind of stuff.

You can put your old oil in the smart box, put the cap on it, and take it back to Walmart for recycling. Couldn't you also put the stuff from the picture above in the box and return it to the non-oil savvy clerk in customer service?

You have to tear the perforations in the box to get to the bag and spout.

Originally Posted by faltic
Ok this happen to me a couple of years ago. This was my 03 Honda Element I put 114k on before letting it go. I had been using Super tech 5w20 conventional for at least 50k at 5k at interval seemed good. Anyway thould I try change using ST full syn. So after 5k bought an other jug of ST syn and pulled the drain plug. While the oil was draining I noticed the stream getting slightly interepted not stopped but just enough so the stream made a flup flup then evened out. Didn't think much of it but thought it strange. Anyway cut the filter like I always do and it had congled oil just a couple strands in the bottom of the can and also a noticeable amount between the pleats of the media not clogging it just maybe 1/8 in or so. I went ahead and pored in the jug I had bought and no repete when that oil was drained. Got to thinking about in and did an internet search a few days or weeks sfter a d found this.

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19365-chunks-not-good-supertech-synthetic-oil/

So I'm using QSUD when I want a syn oil now. Better safe than sorry. YMMV just one guy here.

That post is from 2006!

I'd say that's not an accurate picture of their situation today, except for thieves stealing oil and replacing it with something else.

This is the best proof I've seen to why I don't buy ST China Mart oil
Looks look somebody relived themselves in the jug ...³

I also had a similar incident but with transmission fluid. It was the STP Dexron IV, I buy in bulk and had 10 qts with clear oil, but was consistent with ATF I guess they forgot to add the dye on that last batch, also other commercial accounts reported the same, I got refunded but kept buying STP tranny oil.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
All it would take is a decent shrink wrap seal on the cap.

This is one reason I like the Havoline Smart Change box. That would be much harder to get away with this kind of stuff.

You can put your old oil in the smart box, put the cap on it, and take it back to Walmart for recycling. Couldn't you also put the stuff from the picture above in the box and return it to the non-oil savvy clerk in customer service?

You have to tear the perforations in the box to get to the bag and spout.

Yep. And it would be obvious to anyone that those perforations were already torn if it had been opened before. Got myself another box of Havoline high mileage 5w30 today in fact. I break open the perforation where I can carry it out with one hand.

Originally Posted by Newman88
I also had a similar incident but with transmission fluid. It was the STP Dexron IV, I buy in bulk and had 10 qts with clear oil, but was consistent with ATF I guess they forgot to add the dye on that last batch, also other commercial accounts reported the same, I got refunded but kept buying STP tranny oil.

Add why would you keep buying after that ???

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by gathermewool
I would put money on this being a case of some low-life being clever with oil theft.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Spot welded allowed rings can often twist off with the top cap. Especially if you are trying to encourage it.

Probably 1/3 of the bottles of oil I buy that don't have foil seals exhibit this behavior: if you're careful, you can get the right to come off with the lid. Screwing the lid back on is even easier, and no one is the wiser.

I still have a few bottles left of GC and NONE of those would break the ring seal. The ring would come off with the cap on every one of them. Luckily, each had a foil seal, too.

Yep you're right. I've opened many a container of oil where the snap ring stays completely intact,and none of the plastic tabs break at all.

The ring on the cap when sealed gets more difficult and more tighter as we begin to turn the cap counter-clockwise. It should not be easy to open when sealed. There should be a stop-point in the turn to loosen it.

Always check the cap-seal when inside the store. If it allows you to open it without gathering more strength to crack the seal and you don;t hear it or feel it crack the seal, then don't buy it.
Go get another instead.

Originally Posted by Ada_Potato
(BTW, these jugs don't have a foil seal.)

That answers that question. I never buy oil in a 5 quart bottle if it doesn't have a foil seal.

Originally Posted by das_peikko

That answers that question. I never buy oil in a 5 quart bottle if it doesn't have a foil seal.

Yeah … my discount stash is pretty much used up so I stocked up on $22/jug M1 … knock on wood I have punched out dozens of those foil seals with no bad news yet. I did get the last few online and free shipping … Someone mentioned that may improve the odds of good oil since you don't return to a warehouse …
Others agree ?

Just bought the ST Syn (5qt jug plus extra quart bottle) and they had the metal foil seal.

I just used 2 5 qt jugs of this and both were sealed under the lid. I will be interested to hear if there is an explanation from the mfgr about the separation/blend issue.

I know it's more inconvenient, and you don't save as much money, but when you buy oil in single quart bottles, there is much less of a chance that this would ever happen, as it would be a huge hassle for someone to refill a bunch of tiny bottles with used oil (or water or whatever) compared to just filling up one big jug and returning it. I have no choice but to buy ESP Formula M1 in single bottles, it's not sold in jugs, so I know my chances of ever getting ripped off on that oil are super slim.

Buy an unopened box from a distributor and you avoid these little concerns.

Sometimes Ive had the plastic seal around the bottom of the screw on lid not separate. Therefore the lid could go back on and show no indication of having been opened so who knows

Originally Posted by Patman
I know it's more inconvenient, and you don't save as much money, but when you buy oil in single quart bottles, there is much less of a chance that this would ever happen, as it would be a huge hassle for someone to refill a bunch of tiny bottles with used oil (or water or whatever) compared to just filling up one big jug and returning it. I have no choice but to buy ESP Formula M1 in single bottles, it's not sold in jugs, so I know my chances of ever getting ripped off on that oil are super slim.

The M1 six packs are $28 at Costco now … if I hadn't just ordered some jugs I actually like the bottles … but only got one pack so that gives me around 3 packs to complement the jugs in 8 quart engines …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back