F150 3.0 Powerstroke 10k kms Motorcraft 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friend of mines new powerstroke 3.0 diesel F150. Deleted and tuned since 800 kms. Running a 90 hp tune. Factory fill. Wanted to get some insight on it. Looks not bad for the factory fill. The lab flagged a few fields but I don't see it as being much to worry about just yet. 245 hours on this oil change. 75 idle hours. Was changed at the dealership with fresh motorcraft 5w-30. Discuss. Thanks in advance.

982A6C44-E3F6-4614-ACCF-BE68A68C460C.jpeg

Deleted and tuned? No warranty, no concerns or plenty of money? Does it "roll coal"?

No worries on warranty. It does roll some coal when you are on it. He seems to be very pleased with it coming from a tuned ecoboost. Especially when it comes to fuel economy unloaded and loaded.

Aftermarket parts do not automatically void warranties... I'm sure if he went in with an issue on his radio then they wouldn't care about his mods. Now if he had some engine issues they may lean towards the tune and lack of emissions equipment but in the end they would have to prove that it caused the failure. And that's the risk that some take when they decide to modify things.

I was more here to discuss the used oil analysis of the factory fill of a new deleted and tuned powerstroke 3.0L though.

The warranty is going to be a b. Being a Ford, expect it to be in the shop more frequently than, let's say, a diesel ram.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Deleted and tuned? No warranty, no concerns or plenty of money?

For whatever reason, dealers up here, at least in the prairies, are fairly likely to turned a blind eye to a deleted diesel. That doesn't mean I'd try to chip and tune a Honda or Subaru and expect similar lenience.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by advocate
Now if he had some engine issues they may lean towards the tune and lack of emissions equipment but in the end they would have to prove that it caused the failure. And that's the risk that some take when they decide to modify things.
Maybe on Fantasy Island. Deleting the emissions system and changing the ECM programming would unquestionably void the warranty from Ford's perspective, dealer blind eye not withstanding.

With that said, there are few UOAs in the wild for this new engine, but with a full delete, the overall oil life should be increased substantially versus that of one continuously (re)ingesting soot & by-products and increased fuel dilution caused by regen cycles.

Really need multiple UOAs for an engine to spot trends etc. For this one, on factory fill, all looks ok. Iron may be a bit high, but should start dropping over next several OCIs (if it doesn't you have issues).

Also, while I'm not familiar with this engine, the low viscosity could mean fuel dilution. Shouldn't have too much fuel dilution post-delete. What lab did the analysis, and in particular does that lab use gas chromotagraphy to measure fuel dilution (if not, then ignore their fuel number)?

Agat did the analysis. I'm not sure on their fuel testing methods at this time.

The viscosity seems to be not as bad as the report shows. Comparing to the ford sds it's almost exactly what they say it should be. So fuel dilution does not seem to be an issue. When I first saw it though I was quite alarmed. But it's because of their incorrect pre populated fields.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
The warranty is going to be a b. Being a Ford, expect it to be in the shop more frequently than, let's say, a diesel ram.
Which engine?

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Which engine?
It is the new Ford 3.0L Powerstroke

My opinion is if you delete and up the power on an engine such as this, you should move up to a stouter oil.

I'd have changed the oil sooner to a 5W-40 synthetic HDEO, but that's just me.

Numbers look bad to me, but it is a new engine.

Originally Posted by addyguy
My opinion is if you delete and up the power on an engine such as this, you should move up to a stouter oil.

I'd have changed the oil sooner to a 5W-40 synthetic HDEO, but that's just me.

Numbers look bad to me, but it is a new engine.

Which numbers are you seeing that are bad? Just curious because for a factory fill it seemed not too bad.

The viscosity being SO low on a tuned engine would really worry me. It seems when you up the power on a diesel you need to up the viscosity.

Iron seems really high, but for 6k miles on FF I guess its not so bad. I never would go 6k miles on FF on a tuned engine, I just think you have to be more cautious.

That's just me, have nothing to really 'back it up'.

Again, I don't have facts to back this up, but....

I have heard there are issues with failures of the 3.0L Ecodiesel engine in Ram pickups. Apparently, the bearings fail when using the OE 30-weight Euro diesel oil.
Apparently, these problems go away when you up the viscosity to a 40-weight. Lots of Eco owners running 40-weight have no issues.

The 3.0L diesel in your truck is probably not much different, even more so now that it is tuned. You are nearly at a 20-weight with the oil at 9.5 cst, and NO diesel engine specs a 20-weight, let alone a tuned one.

I've never owned a diesel, so I don't know a lot about them, but I think I am close to correct with my assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back