SuperTech - Help! - What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ada_Potato
Yes, jug was sealed, 99% sure.I would have noticed that. (BTW, these jugs don't have a foil seal.)
The clear contents almost looked like mineral oil, but I didn't get any between my fingers to check how slippery it was.

Looking at the cap won't ensure the cap is sealed. You must either hear a crackling of the plastic as it breaks..... or need to apply added pressure of the cap (an 1/8th to 1/4 turn) with your fingers to crack the sealed cap.

I'm betting you walked out the store with an unsealed jug of oil. One that was tampered with and returned.
Never put the jug of oil into the shopping basket, without checking the seal first.

Update: Wife just returned (both) jugs of oil and got a full refund. Walmart was very concerned about my car and shocked about the oil.What I didn't mention originally was that I bought two jugs. My very smart wife looked at the level check strip on the short side of the second jug at the return counter and there was oil at the top and a clear section at bottom, almost 3/4ths of jug. She made Walmart employee aware, and this jug's cap was sealed. Walmart kept the water bottle that I filled from the first jug.

Last edited:
Wow.....just speechless on this.

I would bet that this happens more at Wally World than any other store you might go to.

I believe that oil and filters should be a NON-returnable item at Wally World, this would stop all this nonsense immediately.

See! A 2nd jug confirms these WERE sealed. I haven't been right in a long time, so I'm gloating right now.
thankyou2.gif

Email Warren Distribution with pictures and or the URL to this thread and see what they think. They will want to know all the coded numbers printed on the jug. They really want the jugs back to find out what it was.

Originally Posted by irad
I have heard, not experienced, that a hole is put in the bottom of the jug. The oil is drained through the hole, refilled with a liquid and sealed with melted crayon or glue.

I can't for the life of me imagine someone going through this much trouble over a lowly jug of Super Tech. A $50 jug of Redline,maybe. But Super Tech?? No way!

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
See! A 2nd jug confirms these WERE sealed. I haven't been right in a long time, so I'm gloating right now.
thankyou2.gif

Email Warren Distribution with pictures and or the URL to this thread and see what they think. They will want to know all the coded numbers printed on the jug. They really want the jugs back to find out what it was.

I agree, it would be interesting to know exactly what it was. Disturbingly I have to say that whatever it was probably would be damaging to your engine if left in there for any more than a brief time.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by irad
I have heard, not experienced, that a hole is put in the bottom of the jug. The oil is drained through the hole, refilled with a liquid and sealed with melted crayon or glue.

I can't for the life of me imagine someone going through this much trouble over a lowly jug of Super Tech. A $50 jug of Redline,maybe. But Super Tech?? No way!

I've commented on stuff I've heard from Walmart employees as well as other retail employees. These gamer critters will do anything to game the system. Used underwear in a new package. Buy a carpet cleaner, use it once and return it saying it doesn't work right, big screen tv returned right after the big game.

It happens everywhere. Don't let your guard down wherever you shop. Check seals and package integrity.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I've commented on stuff I've heard from Walmart employees as well as other retail employees. These gamer critters will do anything to game the system. Used underwear in a new package. Buy a carpet cleaner, use it once and return it saying it doesn't work right, big screen tv returned right after the big game.

It happens everywhere. Don't let your guard down wherever you shop. Check seals and package integrity.

That definitely makes sense. Some goofy clown types doing stuff like that for kicks just to see if they can get away with it.

I would put money on this being a case of some low-life being clever with oil theft.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Spot welded allowed rings can often twist off with the top cap. Especially if you are trying to encourage it.

Probably 1/3 of the bottles of oil I buy that don't have foil seals exhibit this behavior: if you're careful, you can get the right to come off with the lid. Screwing the lid back on is even easier, and no one is the wiser.

I still have a few bottles left of GC and NONE of those would break the ring seal. The ring would come off with the cap on every one of them. Luckily, each had a foil seal, too.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I would put money on this being a case of some low-life being clever with oil theft.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Spot welded allowed rings can often twist off with the top cap. Especially if you are trying to encourage it.

Probably 1/3 of the bottles of oil I buy that don't have foil seals exhibit this behavior: if you're careful, you can get the right to come off with the lid. Screwing the lid back on is even easier, and no one is the wiser.

I still have a few bottles left of GC and NONE of those would break the ring seal. The ring would come off with the cap on every one of them. Luckily, each had a foil seal, too.

Yep you're right. I've opened many a container of oil where the snap ring stays completely intact,and none of the plastic tabs break at all.

All it would take is a decent shrink wrap seal on the cap.

This is one reason I like the Havoline Smart Change box. That would be much harder to get away with this kind of stuff.

That looks like water. Water is denser than oil so it settles at the bottom, in a distinct layer. Mineral oil would mix with motor oil.

Originally Posted by PimTac
All it would take is a decent shrink wrap seal on the cap.

This is one reason I like the Havoline Smart Change box. That would be much harder to get away with this kind of stuff.

You can put your old oil in the smart box, put the cap on it, and take it back to Walmart for recycling. Couldn't you also put the stuff from the picture above in the box and return it to the non-oil savvy clerk in customer service?

Ok this happen to me a couple of years ago. This was my 03 Honda Element I put 114k on before letting it go. I had been using Super tech 5w20 conventional for at least 50k at 5k at interval seemed good. Anyway thould I try change using ST full syn. So after 5k bought an other jug of ST syn and pulled the drain plug. While the oil was draining I noticed the stream getting slightly interepted not stopped but just enough so the stream made a flup flup then evened out. Didn't think much of it but thought it strange. Anyway cut the filter like I always do and it had congled oil just a couple strands in the bottom of the can and also a noticeable amount between the pleats of the media not clogging it just maybe 1/8 in or so. I went ahead and pored in the jug I had bought and no repete when that oil was drained. Got to thinking about in and did an internet search a few days or weeks sfter a d found this.

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19365-chunks-not-good-supertech-synthetic-oil/

So I'm using QSUD when I want a syn oil now. Better safe than sorry. YMMV just one guy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back