Lost all coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
I echo everyone else - - throw away "the Parts Cannon" and find the real source.
That's a CLASSIC! I'm going to steal that one! I agree with above, fill it up with antifreeze, if it leaked out that fast it's going to be obvious where it's leaking.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I echo everyone else - - throw away "the Parts Cannon" and find the real source.
That's a CLASSIC! I'm going to steal that one! I agree with above, fill it up with antifreeze, if it leaked out that fast it's going to be obvious where it's leaking.

Fill it up with water first, don't waste the antifreeze.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
It's his dad, not some inlaw. Not rocket science figuring out where coolant is leaking.

GM truck should throw a code if the temp hit 260 degrees. Fortunately, that whole engine should be iron so less likely you'll have damage.

Aluminum heads.

Originally Posted by talest

Yea I agree don't waste coolant looking for the leak (s). If I remember correctly aren't the radiators on these aluminum with plastic end tanks? When my radiator failed on my GTO it was a 1.5 inch crack on the plastic end tank. I lost most of my coolant and when the tank failed my car was parked and not running, but I had just gotten to the office so the car was at operating temp. Sometimes the crack is obvious but sometimes its hard to see exactly where the crack is, and if it is the radiator, don't replace it with a radiator of the same design go with a quality all aluminum radiator especially if your A/T cooler is in the radiator. Assuming that the cooling system is in decent shape I would check the radiator first, then the hoses before going out and buying a water pump,i.e. assess, diagnose, then repair or replace. On a side note whoever had the bright idea of making a radiator with plastic side tanks needs a good beat down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gimpy1
Originally Posted by talest

Yea I agree don't waste coolant looking for the leak (s). If I remember correctly aren't the radiators on these aluminum with plastic end tanks? When my radiator failed on my GTO it was a 1.5 inch crack on the plastic end tank. I lost most of my coolant and when the tank failed my car was parked and not running, but I had just gotten to the office so the car was at operating temp. Sometimes the crack is obvious but sometimes its hard to see exactly where the crack is, and if it is the radiator, don't replace it with a radiator of the same design go with a quality all aluminum radiator especially if your A/T cooler is in the radiator. Assuming that the cooling system is in decent shape I would check the radiator first, then the hoses before going out and buying a water pump,i.e. assess, diagnose, then repair or replace. On a side note whoever had the bright idea of making a radiator with plastic side tanks needs a good beat down.

I had that same problem with a radiator on my Expedition one time with a crack in the plastic tank on the end of the radiator. I could not see the crack, could not see any fluid leaking from it while running cool, but when it got heated up, the crack expanded and that was when the fluid leaked out under pressure. That would not explain all the fluid being dumped at once, but if it is allowed to go on, it may not be noticeable, since it would be leaking mostly while driving hot. I replaced that radiator with another, also with a plastic end tank and now 4 years later there is another problem with the transmission fluid mixing with the coolant.

Thanks for the help (most) everyone! I was able to get the fan off using a rented 36mm wrench and by get this, the two bolts that attach to the fan cover to hold the water pump pulley. I didn't see any visible leaks from a couple days ago. I rented a pressure tester from autozone and pep boys hoping one of them would fit correctly. Neither did. I filled the coolant with a gallon of water and was at about the full cold level (approx 4 gal capacity) so my assumption of losing all coolant appears to be incorrect. I put the fan and air intake back on and started her up for a few seconds. Noticed it sucked all the water down and didn't see a leak anywhere. At this point without being able to pressure test the system, I am ready to have him bring it down the street to a mechanic to test the system.

Originally Posted by pda1122
Thanks for the help (most) everyone! I was able to get the fan off using a rented 36mm wrench and by get this, the two bolts that attach to the fan cover to hold the water pump pulley. I didn't see any visible leaks from a couple days ago. I rented a pressure tester from autozone and pep boys hoping one of them would fit correctly. Neither did. I filled the coolant with a gallon of water and was at about the full cold level (approx 4 gal capacity) so my assumption of losing all coolant appears to be incorrect. I put the fan and air intake back on and started her up for a few seconds. Noticed it sucked all the water down and didn't see a leak anywhere. At this point without being able to pressure test the system, I am ready to have him bring it down the street to a mechanic to test the system.

Drive it around the block a few times watch for leaks Add the water back in the radiator sucked it in because of all the air a 5.7 takes about two and a half gallons coolant You are testing with water.

If you're going to road test it, turn the heater on and make sure you're getting hot air coming from the vents. If you don't have hot air, you probably don't have coolant circulation.

If you have an Advance Auto nearby, they rent a tester set with about 25 different adapters in a red case.

I was able to verify a water pump leak in my Silverado with it, as well as the old and new reservoir caps and the radiator cap on a Vibe. Pressure testing also exposed a hose leak I didn't realize was there.

That was my latest reminder that the right tool for the job makes things a lot easier.

If you continue with this job yourself, I would recommend an OEM pump or AC Delco "OEM" line pump. Not understanding the different grades of AC Delco parts, I replaced my factory pump with the "Professional" line, and got less than 30k from it before it started leaking from the weep hole. The original pump was only leaking at the gaskets, but I changed it since I had the new one.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
If you have an Advance Auto nearby, they rent a tester set with about 25 different adapters in a red case.

I was able to verify a water pump leak in my Silverado with it, as well as the old and new reservoir caps and the radiator cap on a Vibe. Pressure testing also exposed a hose leak I didn't realize was there.

That was my latest reminder that the right tool for the job makes things a lot easier.

If you continue with this job yourself, I would recommend an OEM pump or AC Delco "OEM" line pump. Not understanding the different grades of AC Delco parts, I replaced my factory pump with the "Professional" line, and got less than 30k from it before it started leaking from the weep hole. The original pump was only leaking at the gaskets, but I changed it since I had the new one.

Yeah, that's the exact kit autozone was supposed to have and I was expecting. Even says it is in store online. Maybe I'll work on it this weekend if it's not in the shop. Thanks.

Pressure tested coolant system. Upper radiator hose leaking. Tried to get hose, only store open was autozone. Didn't have part. Got hose clamps. Put new hose clamp on. Then started leaking from bottom radiator hose after pressure testing again. Put new hose clamp on that. Then pressure tested again and got no pressure. Ran it. Seemed fine but pain in the butt to get to all the other hoses and clamps that are probably rotted. The clamps litterally broke in half when pinching them to get them off.
Thanks for making me pressure test and not throw in a water pump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back