'13 Chrysler 300 - 3.6L 10K AMSOIL SSO & PP Mix - Details below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Chrysler 300, 3.6L Pentastar
50,000 miles on engine; 10,000 miles/1 year on oil (5W-20)
I had four quarts of AMSOIL Signature Series, which I used along with two quarts of Pennzoil Platinum.

chrysler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured that the top tier AMSOIL would make the oil blend capable of at least 15k-20k; but according to the test, it's about done at 10k. The miles are mainly highway.

Blackstone Labs always states that a TBN of 1 is the limit, I think if you're dead set on SSO, use all SSO next time & try it again-get it good and hot before you change it, then see what you've got. I'm really not a huge Amsoil fan because of the cost & MLM component, but your wear numbers don't look that bad.

While I'm not a fan of amsoil (overpriced MLM)

This is in no way fair to Amsoil since a blend can be significantly WORSE than either of the oils by themselves.

Good to know. I also tried AMSOIL in my Hummer and in my diesel, so I should test those. The AMSOIL that I put in this Chrysler was just leftover.

15k OR 1 year, whatever comes first.

For an entire year of short trips, the oil did fine.

Originally Posted by zachakamp
I figured that the top tier AMSOIL would make the oil blend capable of at least 15k-20k; but according to the test, it's about done at 10k. The miles are mainly highway.

It is in a way. Amsoil recomends that you change the filter @ manufacturer intervals and top it off. Always adding some new oil will help keep the TBN up.

Originally Posted by PimTac
How can you be disappointed in one brand when you mixed it with another?

This.

Originally Posted by addyguy

Especially since it was only 2/3 (66%) Amsoil. NO manufacturer, Amsoil included recommends blending oil then running a year. That just was not smart. Nor is your thread title.

Originally Posted by zachakamp
2013 Chrysler 300, 3.6L Pentastar
50,000 miles on engine; 10,000 miles/1 year on oil (5W-20)

I had four quarts of AMSOIL Signature Series, which I used along with two quarts of Pennzoil Platinum.

You answered your own question, and I highlighted it for you....you can't denigrate an oil that you mixed with another brand; the thread title is very misleading and could have been "Disappointing results with Pennzoil Platinum" instead.

I totally agree with bullwinkle - you should fill 100% Amsoil and try again. Personally, I'd use 5w-30 since that is what was originally specified for the Pentastar.

Originally Posted by addyguy

Yup, the results were decent...bet they'd have been much better with a 100% fill of either oil

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Oil should not be used for more than 7,500 miles TOPS.

You deserve the disappointing analysis.

You, sir, have just proved that you need to do a LOT more reading on the site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back